Is Jose the only one?

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

IS JOSE MOURINHO THE ONLY ONE?

Jose Mourinho in my eyes is the greatest contemporary football coach, bar none. He has everything a man needs to succeed, charisma, tactical nous, passion, creativity and an unrivalled intellect. With all these amazing traits, it’s hard to argue against bringing the Special One back to Stamford Bridge. Looking at all the ‘possible candidates’ I only see one man that is worthwhile. I can’t even fathom having another man handling Chelsea if there is even a sliver of hope that Jose Mourinho will return to Chelsea.

Some people claim that Jose is inflexible and set in his ways, but I disagree with this he has his trademarks but looking back at Jose’s history it’s easy to see that he changes and evolves with every club he controls.

At Porto he dominated with the 4-3-1-2 Christmas tree formation with powerful box to box midfielders and Deco being the starman.

Next at Chelsea he played with a more standard 4-3-3 formation with pacey wingers, a powerful target man and energetic box to box midfielders, similar to Porto really.

At Internazionale he implemented both the 4-3-3 and the 4-2-3-1 formation due to changing circumstances. Inter were fairly one dimensional under Jose but they were amazingly efficient, he worked to Inter’s strengths, they were stacked with amazing defensive capabilities, he introduced a deep counter attack system. Everything went through either Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Diego Milito and that won them a number of honours. Plus, it's brilliant to see Mou change the rols of Eto'o and Zanetti entirely. Zanetti reborn as a midfielder and Eto'o a defensive winger.

Real Madrid is different, because he has been expected to play more ‘attacking football’ and it shows with Ronaldo's amazing goal scoring. Ozil the lazy traditional #10, Di Maria the supposed hard working winger and a supporting cast as long as my arm, but not as long as something else. Alonso of course is the metronome in the midfield doing the dirty work and supplying the forwards with ammunition, a world class midfielder if I ever watched one.

That's just a brief outline of Jose's tactics and formations at his different clubs, but it's easy to see that he isn't exactly the one trick pony some claim him to be. Sure there are similarities at all clubs, but that's just his personal preferences.

It's looking more and more likely that Jose will be out of the Madrid job sooner rather than later. The dressing room doesn't exactly love him nor does Perez and once a manager loses the dressing room, it's practically over. So where could Jose go? Manchester City would love to have him there, but saying that they do have a disturbing love for the clown that Roberto Mancini. PSG would also fork out a lot of cash for Jose, more than most clubs in the world are even worth. Germany doesn't look to hospitable at the moment with only Schalke having a viable job opening, I don't think he would return to Portugal and Inter has a project with young Andrea Stramaccioni. From Jose's point of there isn't many places to go; he believes himself too young for Portugal National Team and has ruled out any other nation. Manchester United could be a gamble but I doubt that the Glazers and the ManUtd board would be very happy with Mourinho's personality, Sir Bob Charlton in particular doesn't think too highly of the Special One. Of course saying that I don't think Sir Alex will relinquish control anytime soon, I think he'd sooner die than retire.

How much control can Jose have at the club? Jose needs to be in control, it needs to be his team, his club and his vision. Can the yes men like the current board who only answer to Roman be controlled? Or should they be eliminated form the cause entirely? Roman seems to have taken a step back from being the intervening owner he once was, I don't think and Shevchenko situations will arise in the future. And I would like to mention that Torres was not signed by Roman but by Carlo Ancellotti, Ray Wilkins confirmed this.

And I'm sure Jose can implement young quite efficiently. There seems to be a notion floating around that Jose only buys "STAR PLAYERS". Sure he has bought some big names in the past like Xabi Alonso, Michael Ballack and Samuel Eto'o but he has also brought in some players like Arjen Robben, Didier Drogba, Mesut Ozil and Sami Khedira. Sure these players aren't unheard of but they were hardly superstars that personified world class when Jose bought them. Drogba for instance was playing the Europa league and had his breakthrough season at TWENTY FOUR. That's hardly what I'd call a STAR. I'm positive that Jose can handle the likes of academy graduates like McEachran and Chalobah as well as bought youngsters like De Bruyne and Hazard.

There also seems to be an idea that Jose likes to pack up and leave after winning everything with a club. Well for starters not counting anything before Porto (sorry!) he has only done that twice at a total of four clubs. He left Porto for Chelsea and Inter for Madrid. He was fired at Chelsea and is still in power at Madrid, so I don't see how "HE WILL ONLY STAY AT CHELSEA FOR THREE YEARS MAX" is a valid argument. He could be fired in half an hour for all you lot know. Besides who are we as Chelsea fans to complain about a manager staying for three years? Three years is a lifetime for Chelsea supporters...it's a welcome change to six months anyway...

I believe the only way forward is to go backwards and return the Special One.

Also, I didn't bother proof reading so there will be a lot of errors.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Articles...posts...no difference as long as people read them. If they staff want to they can, but I'm happy as long as people read my work.

Articles...posts...no difference as long as people read them. If they staff want to they can, but I'm happy as long as people read my work.

Articles go to the home page, so it helps the site to get views...

I'm pretty sure the deal for Robben was done before Mourinho was appointed and both Ozil and Khedira starred for Germany in the World Cup before they went to Madrid.

As for his length of stay, the issue isn't that he might leave but what happens when he does. Do we allow him to mould the entire club to his image despite us doing well in terms of our academy and scouting departments? I don't see many people moaning about 'yes men' in the Hazard, Lukaku or Azpi threads for example.

Tactically he seems like the perfect fit. We're not a bad team by any measure and we're probably 3-4 players from being title contenders, and we need someone to bring everything together. Right now Jose seems like the only person capable of doing that, but if he doesn't come then we can still move on and continue what we're doing here.

Articles go to the home page, so it helps the site to get views...

Perhaps, but that's none of my business.

I'm pretty sure the deal for Robben was done before Mourinho was appointed and both Ozil and Khedira starred for Germany in the World Cup before they went to Madrid.

As for his length of stay, the issue isn't that he might leave but what happens when he does. Do we allow him to mould the entire club to his image despite us doing well in terms of our academy and scouting departments? I don't see many people moaning about 'yes men' in the Hazard, Lukaku or Azpi threads for example.

Tactically he seems like the perfect fit. We're not a bad team by any measure and we're probably 3-4 players from being title contenders, and we need someone to bring everything together. Right now Jose seems like the only person capable of doing that, but if he doesn't come then we can still move on and continue what we're doing here.

Hmm, I'm not sure about Robben, maybe you are right though. However concerning Ozil and Khedira, one solid world cup doesn't create a SUPER STAR, sure they were in demand but they were hardly in the echelon of the elite among the likes of Kaka and Messi.

I don't see what moaning about 'yes men' in the Hazard, Lukaku and Azpilicueta threads has to do with my article. Perhaps we are on different levels?

Hmm, I'm not sure about Robben, maybe you are right though. However concerning Ozil and Khedira, one solid world cup doesn't create a SUPER STAR, sure they were in demand but they were hardly in the echelon of the elite among the likes of Kaka and Messi.

I don't see what moaning about 'yes men' in the Hazard, Lukaku and Azpilicueta threads has to do with my article. Perhaps we are on different levels?

The 'yes men' seem to be doing a decent job in certain areas in my point.

The issue with Jose is whether he's capable of building something sustainable at this club. We're at a point in our history unlike any job he's ever had to deal with. He has to take the academy we have and utilise it effectively whilst also spending prudently in the transfer market. This is the biggest appointment in our history and the plan is for us to take a team into a new stadium built on young, dynamic, homegrown talent with sprinkles of marquee stardust.

The Man City and PSG jobs are typical Mourinho jobs - come in and win now please. Our job is something different. It's the second generation of Abramovich's ownership in my opinion, where he can look at the successes and failures of his first decade and say exactly what he wants.

The fear for me is that he just goes back to what he did in 2005. Then we're having the same discussion in 2020.

Fine, just do what the fuck you want. I was just trying to help!

No need to be hostile.

Ozil was the best young prospect at that time. He was linked to Man U and probably was going to go to Barcelona if Guardiola yes it (Ozil loved Barca).

Khedira, I agree with, he was pretty much made significant by Mou..

that's the thing. i usually check the article section and not the Matthew Harding Stand section. would be helpful if you would place it in the Articles section.

and btw, good read. sums up the situation with Mourinho neatly. Getting Jose here will instantly elevate us from 3rd best team in the country to being considered along with the Manchester clubs

Okay, I've shot the message to a few staff members. I don't know if they've read it or nor though.

Difficult to say more, José had in his mind since Inter Milan to come back to coach for a long time in England, it is his next destination and i think personally that it is obvious that he would be the best choice for us right now, I cant see no point of him going to Manchester, City have Tixiki as their director of football & he isnt in love for José, same thing goes for Sir Alex who is a dictator at United, so, Chelsea is the only destination & to see him replacing the fat one is priceless.It will change the atmosphere at the club and i'm sure he'll make the right decisions.

Now, about the Buck/Gourlay/Emenalo and all those clowns, it is time to think about the club and to leave for some of them if they cant agree with Mourinho, i'm not telling you to give full control for José but we may allow him more control than when he was here, I think if we bring another manager we'll go fuor or five years back, I think, its is time to really think about what can we achieve with this new squad and to install a winning mentality because obviously this squad is better that the one in 2004 in terms of course of individual performances.So, José, i'm waiting for you return, don't take too long.

It depends, if he will follow Chelsea phylosophy more or less (offensive play/use our talents) then yeh sure, if not there are better options out there for us.

Oh we have a philosophy ? The board have in their blinded eyes, we now need a manger before a philosophy.