Sparta Prague 0-1 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Cech will stay for several years. Everyone knows it. Courtois might be part of Falcao´s deal.

Mata plays in so many games he can not play well in all of them, simple as that. He needs rest urgently. I would like to see him being rested on Sunday, not even dressed for that meaningless game.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the worst games ever really, this tie should be dead now and we should be resting players now for 8 or 9 days instead of going into the 2nd leg with still a bit of work to do. Very disappointed with Hazard's performance more than anyone else, for all the ability he has, you'd think this would be a perfect game for him to light up and excite but no, he was anonymous. I would vote Oscar MOTM but he only played 8 minutes, it's not right. Marin in the first half was our only player actually trying to do something and a few of his mazy runs lead to some good chances.

Seemed like we were resting players and conserving energy for Brentford ffs. A league 1 side at home! Something is so wrong with this team atm, it's scary to even think we can finish in the top 4. I'll be amazed if we do with this cunt in charge.

Still... on the plus side, Oscar's goal has pretty much killed the tie, but we should be 3-0 and move on now, honestly a big chance missed yet again, pathetic performance.

It's clear that either the players don't give a toss, OR Rafa instructed them to play within themselves, knowing full well the amount of games coming up and that the calibre of opposition was poor. I'm going to take heart in the latter idea...

Horrible and boring football, but a great experience for me. Chelsea fans on stadium were bad, i heard just 4 chants (Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea; Champions of Europe; Super Super Frank; Carefree)...

Marin was great, MOTM for me... And what a goal from Oscar...

However, I will never forget this match...

If we had just scored 1 more goal, the tie would be dead now, that's what annoys me. There's still a little bit in it which means he'll probably need to play Mata again ... Too many games, yes... but we'd basically have 1 game less if we did what we should've done. Coulda played the U21's, Malouda and all in the 2nd leg, even the Under 12's.

jesus all this whining about our players - who are all crap :carlo:

I think this is complete bollocks. We have one of the finest squads available, and there are a lot of teams playing massively better football with far less talented players. So, if we do not win or defend well, or create almost no chances, this has nothing to do with the quality of the players - and will thus not be solved by buying another shitload of overpriced stars.

It must be obvious by now that it is the lack of decent management that plagues Chelsea. And this has been going on for a long time: not just with the advent of that Spanish waiter. RDM may be a club icon, but as a manager he did not have any constructive ideas - safe relying on the individual class of other club legends. That might work, sometimes. But not in the long run, obviously.

If you saw how Real played against Manure: pretty awesome. Constantly players making runs, infiltrating in the space left by another player who made a run, falling back, changing positions. That's how you create chances, as a team, not by relying on individual flashes (although Real could easily do that with the talent they've got). Too bad they didn't finish them off.

Thus, untill we have a new manager, who gets the time to build a team and a style of play, there will be no improvement - except the occasional match in which one of our players has a good day.

jesus all this whining about our players - who are all crap :carlo:

I think this is complete bollocks. We have one of the finest squads available, and there are a lot of teams playing massively better football with far less talented players. So, if we do not win or defend well, or create almost no chances, this has nothing to do with the quality of the players - and will thus not be solved by buying another shitload of overpriced stars.

It must be obvious by now that it is the lack of decent management that plagues Chelsea. And this has been going on for a long time: not just with the advent of that Spanish waiter. RDM may be a club icon, but as a manager he did not have any constructive ideas - safe relying on the individual class of other club legends. That might work, sometimes. But not in the long run, obviously.

If you saw how Real played against Manure: pretty awesome. Constantly players making runs, infiltrating in the space left by another player who made a run, falling back, changing positions. That's how you create chances, as a team, not by relying on individual flashes (although Real could easily do that with the talent they've got). Too bad they didn't finish them off.

Thus, untill we have a new manager, who gets the time to build a team and a style of play, there will be no improvement - except the occasional match in which one of our players has a good day.

This! I agree.

He looked busy on the ball but that was about it. I'm not writing him off because he's suffered from the same problems the other players have suffered from - a useless twat up-front and Lampard and Ramires in midfield. Mata was completely anonymous last night too, and not for the first time this season.

What was encouraging was that Oscar played like his Brazilian self when he came on. Yes it was against shitty opposition but he was dropping deep and controlling the tempo beautifully and his goal was obviously well taken.

We've talked on this forum before about the choice we've got to make regarding Cech (who had a dodgy game himself) and Courtois but I think we're going to have to make another at some point in the future in the number 10 spot......Mata or Oscar?

As usual great post :)

I agree on Mata but it's unrealistic for us to keep relying on him, he's only human and will have 'off' games - that's why we need at least 2 players per position. I also think our midfield and defence don't help him, he has to drop deeper and deeper beyond halfway line to receive the ball and then has too much to do with the opposition pressing and NO runs ahead of him (Azpi being exception).

I think the fundamental problem is our lack of runs - if we're running in behind and stretching the game - very hard for opposition to press, however if we keep doing what we are doing dropping deeper they can get 10 men behind the ball and we have to beat every single one of them to create a goal scoring opportunity = unrealistic in my eyes.

We've gone from too much with RDM to too little under RB - the 'pendulum' effect if you will and it's starting to make our team and players look ordinary :(

I also think Cech is getting shaky, he's reminding me of Grobelaar lately. I think he needs to chill and we need to keep Courtious! A top GK is harder to find than a striker... Courtious should get a run of games next season, maybe he plays all cup games? That's pretty even with Cech then and in 2014/2015 season sees him take the majority...

BUT none of the above will be fixed whilst FSW is here - he is truly NOT a tactical genius, he's a complete fucking idiot!

I've posted a match report on the homepage; this is the first one I've done in a very, very long time. Thoughts, feedback and criticisms (positive and negative equally appreciated) are welcomed!

A link: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/15489-blues-beat-sparta-but-not-exactly-a-walk-in-the-prague

What's with all the complaining? Yes, it was a rather frugal performance, but the bottom line is we won and that's all I care about. The result has always been more important than the showing, we should know that better than anyone.

If it was a hard game or a final or semi final then just winning is all that matters. And I would take just winning every game, but it doesn't work like that. We still have around 20 or so games this season and some form would be a great thing to have when we are battling for top 4. And atm our form is worrying...

Horrible and boring football, but a great experience for me. Chelsea fans on stadium were bad, i heard just 4 chants (Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelsea; Champions of Europe; Super Super Frank; Carefree)...

1. Happy For You.

2. I Think that Marin was Bad.

2. I heard The " F*ck Off Benitez " Song too.

Awesome game! Was on the edge of my seat on so many occasions! Torres man of the match! His control and vision is breathtaking.. Was also GREAT to see Benayoun come on, but I would have taken Hazard off instead! We don't need him around when Torres is on the pitch.

the only good thing about this match was that it was an early kick off otherwise i would have to have watch this match till 3.30 in the morning.

anyways some pointers -

1. hazard should have had atleast one or maybe 2 assists in the 1st ten minutes of the game itself if we had any other striker in the world. i mean it. any other. one who barely plays professional football. i mean there was a 10 metre gap between the center halves with hazard cutting in and torres was hiding behind one of them.

2. marin is abysmal. cut in, cut in and cut in some more. he is showing the reason y both rdm and rafa prefer bert on the wings in an epl match rather this selfish player.

3. oscar's best position is cam. end of story.

4. we need fresh legs in the mid. during the end of the match i think even ramires was tired. i dont know how "fresh" mikel would be, but i ll take anythin and any1 right now.

5. TORRES SHOULD STOP PLAYING FOOTBALL.

I'm no longer a fan of Marin (I was very excited when we first came on board), but I thought early on he looked bright. I also noticed that he was being overlooked on passes many times; almost a mistrust thing happening. And it just seems strange to me how he can get by a few defenders make a few tackles, have torres RUN INTO HIM, get subbed off, and we call that abysmal when the only other lively player was oscar.

Anyway, I was really happy to see oscar's performance, he loves these European competitions!

Trust me we sang lots more songs than those 4 you mentioned! Mr Benitez was "asked" to go away a couple of times too!

There was more singing after the game though while we waited to be let out!