Cristiano Ronaldo close to becoming an unstoppable force

Melanicus

Can Cristiano Ronaldo Become Greatest Player Ever?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Can Jose Mourinho instill intelligent team play into Cristiano Ronaldo, to make him the greatest of our time?

• Yes, if anyone can, it will be Mourinho
    • No, Ferguson didn't try because he knew it was useless
    • No, Cristiano cannot learn it

The best raw talent ever.

Cristiano Ronaldo is the most physically dominant specimen to play football. Maybe ever.

The fastest player in the world at 6'2", with the most powerful shots that he can hit from 20 to 30 to 40 feet. His dribbling and ball-handling at that height are among the best, even if it might be gimmicky. He seemingly has no weaknesses.

When he claims, humbly, as he has many times, that he wants "to be the greatest ever," most people with a keen eye think that he actually has a chance.

The will, the raw talent and physical attributes are there to be the greatest the sport has ever seen.

But he does have a weakness, which is under-reported.

Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Platini, Zidane, Ronaldo

All these players are in the conversation for greatest of all time. Sure they were fast, but not enough to completely overmatch most top professionals. They were usually marginally quick, physically. They had great burst but it was only a secondary reason for them dominating.

What these players did have, what made them unstoppable and what makes them contenders of the GOAT title, was that they were the fastest thinkers of their era.

They didn't actually have to think about the right decision, how to get by defenders, dribbling, left or right, what body fake to use, which opening to take, where to pass, where to go one on one, anticipate the help defender, fake the double team. They just did it.

Out-thinking the defense

They were the most intelligent of their era in what they did. Intelligence in an instant. Geniuses at out-thinking the defense in an instant.

Lionel Messi is the one player who has that quality right now. That is why he is the best player in the world. When people point out he isn't as good at heading or finishing, it should be pointed out that he is good at being a genius at the game of football, regardless of physical attributes, which counts for more.

Just Glimpses

Ronaldo fans reading the paragraphs above, should realize that, this is the reason he doesn't get that kind of credit. Instead of out-thinking the defense, Ronaldo consistently over-thinks and over dribbles or does one thing too many times.

But then we see the glimpses of genius that is latent in him. When he stops thinking and just does, he becomes unstoppable. We get enough glimpses for him to score a lot of beautiful goals, but he does not seem to understand the team game and making the correct decision or understanding the timing of how to use his plethora of skills.

Mourinho

Jose Mourinho is the best manager of the past 10 years. His best quality is understanding the strengths and weaknesses of players to fit into his system, where they get fewer chances and shots at goals. So the strikers in his system understand the game better and make the correct decisions most of the time, because they know they won't get many chances.

He is the best manager at instilling an understanding of his system, intelligence and understanding of the team concept in his players, better than any manager, ever.

Prides of Portugal

So comes the defining time in the careers of the two greatest football talents Portugal has produced. Cristiano Ronaldo will try to lead Madrid to a third Champions League trophy for Mourinho, handing him the title of greatest manager ever. Jose Mourinho will try to teach the intelligent decision-making ability in Cristiano that he instilled in most players that he coached.

If he succeeds, for the next three years, Cristiano should challenge Zidane, Ronaldo, and Messi as the best player of the past 20 years and if he transfers it into a World Cup win for Portugal, he will challenge Maradona and Pele as the greatest to ever play this game.

Can he succeed?

When was the last time Jose Mourinho don't succeed at something?

Source: BleacherReport

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also Maradona won 2 World Cups, Pele won 3. 1 won't cut it, no matter how 'easy to score 5 a game lol' football was in the 60s. See the Messi thread for further details as to why football in the 60s was immeasurably harder than it is today.

As far as being the best of the last 20 years, he's nowhere near the level of Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc. Messi isn't that far off those three but he's still got a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as them. I can guarantee you Zidane et al wouldn't have been flummoxed by half an hour of Salomon Kalou at right back and an hour of Jose Bosingwa at centre back. And then there are the legions of defenders far better than Mess-Aldo, like Thuram, Maldini, Nesta, Canavarro, Cafu, Roberto Carlos, to name a few. Roberto Carlos is a bit of a borderline call, I think Mess-Aldo might just pip him. Keepers- Oliver Kahn was better than any player today, outfield or in goals. It takes something incredible, out of this world, for a keeper to win the Golden Ball at a World Cup, where a striker scored 8 goals.

I won't drag myself into discussion about players I've never watched playe live and Ronaldo, but if Cristiano had a bit more of Messi's brain, he would certainly be one of the best ever in the game. While his spectacular gamestyle is nice to watch, lots of times he pointlessly loses the ball or overhits crosses and shots. Mindbuggling feints are also something I don't like...

Level of football is much more higher then it was in the past. Grass is different, ball is different, there is more pressure and players are much more physically better so it's not really fair to compare some players from older generation with Ronaldo. I'm pretty sure if Ronaldo went back in the past in this shape that he would cause much more havoc then he is doing now.

I won't drag myself into discussion about players I've never watched player live and Ronaldo, but if Cristiano had a big more of Messi's brain, he would certainly be one of the best ever. While his spectacular gamestyle is nice to watch, lots of times he pointlessly loses the ball or overhits crosses and shots. Mindbuggling feints are also something I don't like...

Level of football is much more higher then it was in the past. Grass is different, ball is different, there is more pressure and players are much more physically better so it's not really fair to compare some players from older generation with Ronaldo. I'm pretty sure if Ronaldo went back in the past in this shape that he would cause much more havoc then he is doing now.

agree ...people who use the word "EVER" think the world was created the day they reached puberty.

Both Ronaldo and Messi are wonderful to watch as was Charlie Cooke ,,Peter Osgood ,,, Sir Stanley Mathews Di Stefano and Eusabio

I won't drag myself into discussion about players I've never watched playe live and Ronaldo, but if Cristiano had a bit more of Messi's brain, he would certainly be one of the best ever in the game. While his spectacular gamestyle is nice to watch, lots of times he pointlessly loses the ball or overhits crosses and shots. Mindbuggling feints are also something I don't like...

He wouldn't have his shape without years of sports science, access to unimaginably good training facilities (for players in the 60s) or modern understanding of nutrition, health, better understanding of how the body works and reacts to physical situations etc.

Technical ability has fallen a long way in the game, while physical ability is at an all time high. Maradona, for instance, had no problem whatsoever with the Jabluani in training and yet you had the majority of modern professionals complaining about it. The level of pure footballing ability is far lower than it should be when you consider the immense advantages modern pro's have compared to their predecessors.

He wouldn't have his shape without years of sports science, access to unimaginably good training facilities (for players in the 60s) or modern understanding of nutrition, health, better understanding of how the body works and reacts to physical situations etc.

Technical ability has fallen a long way in the game, while physical ability is at an all time high. Maradona, for instance, had no problem whatsoever with the Jabluani in training and yet you had the majority of modern professionals complaining about it. The level of pure footballing ability is far lower than it should be when you consider the immense advantages modern pro's have compared to their predecessors.

when you see some of the pitiful attempts from dead ball situations it emhasises your point.

Free kicks corners and penalties should have almost perfect deliveries

Exactly why I'm saying it's not really fair to make these serious comparisons and have massive discussions...

I disagree. There are much more specialized coaches and training schedules are tougher and more intensive due to modern science which has moved the physical boundaries up. Yes, in the past technical ability was more noticeable due to the fact that players haven't been so fit and on high physical level.

Sure...you can take comparisons of Maradona...Pele...they are among football gods and are something really special, but they are unique and rare.

Unique player but still nowhere near Pele, Maradonna, Zidane, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zico, Heskey :Goober: etc.

Also a few years ago you could say something similar about Ibra at Inter. He had it all, pace, power, technical ability, great from freekicks, great in the air etc. He still has them attributes minus the pace.

Also Messi is a better team player than Ronaldo imo, if it was based on individual attributes I think Ronaldo would edge it if his decision making was better.

I really like to label Cristiano as most complete football player rather then best player in the world...

I have massive respect for the lad though, because what he has become requires really a lot of work. His muscles, speed and athleticism are absolutely amazing. Free kicks? To kick a ball like he does takes really a lot of practice work. His jumping is also good and he is pretty strong on his feet while yes he likes to dive, but most of fast wingers do anyway.

I really like to label Cristiano as most complete football player rather then best player in the world...

I have massive respect for the lad though, because what he has become requires really a lot of work. His muscles, speed and athleticism are absolutely amazing. Free kicks? To kick a ball like he does takes really a lot of practice work. His jumping is also good and he is pretty strong on his feet while yes he likes to dive, but most of fast wingers do anyway.

I completely agree with you, he is probably the most complete player I have ever seen, much more complete than messi

He can shoot with both feet, he is much faster, jump much2 higher, better header and better finisher.

But I still think Messi is a better player because Messi has greater impact

In term of the best ever, i don't like comparing player from different generation. They are all great players that's it.