PSG Vs Chelsea

James

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nonetheless, frustrating game, no real urgency anywhere, the players did not really look fit. Is it just me or des anyone else think (independent of that game) thate we are missing a worldclass man either in midfield or in the wings to make us challenging on all fronts? Even when we buy Oscar, its only a bunch of kids +lamps +torres (who is not always that consistent). Don't know how those can compete with ronaldo, messi or agüero, silva for the big titles.

Throw Mata, Hazard and Marin in there and you´ve got a decent midfield that doesn´t cost truckloads of money and delivers the EPL trophy by goal difference. I don´t know if you´ve watched last seasons Champions League, but i´d say that our midfield did quite well against Messi....

Oh, and of course they don´t look fit. That still is the whole deal of pre season. The games are frustrating. You can´t take anything from them seriously. Given how our Pre Season under Scolari went and how we were sweeping the floor with teams, the season following pre season was pretty bad, to put it diplomaticly.

So, don´t stress it and approach games like these realisticly.

Marin our new Kalou?? Hahaha what the hell is wrong with some of the people in this forum tonight. Soo much negativity in here throughout this PSG game it's almost cringey!

Thanks, my thoughts exactly. I don´t know why everyone is acting so childishly on here. Seems as if The Champions League doesn´t mean a thing and that people can´t relax and trust the team and the management with what they are doing.

good for him

he need more experience to be a better striker tho

Experience has nothing to do with it, he lacks the basic skills. He is 19 now, most of the technical skills should be developed at that age. He will not magically turn into a footballer in the next few years.

Was unable to watch the game. From what I've read, it looks we played much better in the 2nd half than in the 1st and Marin impressed once again.

Can someone tell me a little bit more about the overall team performance and how the likes of Hazard, Lukaku, Josh, Piazon, De Bruyne etc all fared? Pleased to see Piazon scored the equalizer.

First half was not good from us. The defense looked completely off the pace, especially Cahill. Hutch looked like our most solid defender, but they looked like they can break our offside trap at will, though their goal was fairly lucky. Offensively we couldn't manage to anything at all, only shot on target came from a 40 yard Lampard FK. Lukaku's positioning and runs were abysmal, and just like the first match, the three behind him seem to be too far up the pitch when we are in possession which forced Lampard and Mikel to play long balls that Romelu is clearly unable to hold up. Hazard looked nothing like the previous match and lost the ball way too often. De Bruyne and Lampard were our best players in the half.

Second half we had Essien and Mikel in the double pivot so it's natural to say that we retained the ball much easier; the former was bossing the midfield (Like an African dictator, as someone on here put it :lol; ) but on the offense only Marin seemed to be able to do something; one particular chance was brilliantly done where he dribbled three defenders into the pen area and should have had a pen after being impeded by the keeper. That changed fast when we brought in Cole, Malouda, and more importantly Piazon. The goal was a great one-two between him and Rambo, topped with an excellent finish. Defensively, we looked sooo much more organized with JT on, PSG only had one clear cut chance in the second half which they squandered. Malouda on the other end missed our best chance to win it from 8 yards out. MOTM Marin.

Hazard: Some of his touches ooze class, but as I said he was no where near as effective as he was in the first match.

Lukaku: :banghead: Movement was terrible, can't hold the ball up, couple with his usual abysmal first touch resulted in us not creating a single chance in the first half.

Josh: Came on for the last 30 mins, looked his usual composed self, played some excellent intelligent passes and recovered very well every time we lost the ball. But still he was bullied off the ball a couple of times by the opponents.

Piazon: He might be playing as a left winger with the youth squad, but his movement is that of a striker. He did look a bit nervous at times, but some of the runs and movements he does are both instinctive and classy. The goal he scored was only one of many runs he made, but unlike Malouda, Ramires was able to find him in the box. The finish was exquisite as well.

De Bryne: Was everywhere in the first half: good stamina and excellent work ethic. His defending is a real asset for the team. Unfortunately, on the offense he had very little to work with. His link-up with Hazard was the highlight of our first 45 mins.

Hutch: Looked by far our most solid defender in the opening half. He came under a lot of pressure but managed to handle it every time. I really think he a viable option at RB, I would trust him in any game.

Kakuta: Was just trying too hard. He always tracked back, but his defending is terrible. On the offense he tried to do too much at a time and ended up not doing anything at all.

Marin: Looked very sharp since coming on. Quick feet and excellent change of pace to beat defenders easily. Was the only one who was genuinely looking to create something for long periods of the second half. In short, a man of the match performance by the little German.

Hope that gives you a better idea about the match :D

Oh, and of course they don´t look fit. That still is the whole deal of pre season. The games are frustrating. You can´t take anything from them seriously.

This should be on the top of every single pre-season thread. Managers repeatedly say the same thing-these games are about building fitness and having a look at some of the younger players. Whether or not Mikel or Hazard or Cole have a good 45 minutes or not is meaningless.

I thought Hutch was rubbish personally. He kept on drifting inside which is understandable as he's a much better CB than RB, but still he was poor defensively. Kakuta wasn't making his life any easier tbf, but Chalobah was much better at RB than Hutch

First half was not good from us. The defense looked completely off the pace, especially Cahill. Hutch looked like our most solid defender, but they looked like they can break our offside trap at will, though their goal was fairly lucky. Offensively we couldn't manage to anything at all, only shot on target came from a 40 yard Lampard FK. Lukaku's positioning and runs were abysmal, and just like the first match, the three behind him seem to be too far up the pitch when we are in possession which forced Lampard and Mikel to play long balls that Romelu is clearly unable to hold up. Hazard looked nothing like the previous match and lost the ball way too often. De Bruyne and Lampard were our best players in the half.

Second half we had Essien and Mikel in the double pivot so it's natural to say that we retained the ball much easier; the former was bossing the midfield (Like an African dictator, as someone on here put it :lol; ) but on the offense only Marin seemed to be able to do something; one particular chance was brilliantly done where he dribbled three defenders into the pen area and should have had a pen after being impeded by the keeper. That changed fast when we brought in Cole, Malouda, and more importantly Piazon. The goal was a great one-two between him and Rambo, topped with an excellent finish. Defensively, we looked sooo much more organized with JT on, PSG only had one clear cut chance in the second half which they squandered. Malouda on the other end missed our best chance to win it from 8 yards out. MOTM Marin.

Hazard: Some of his touches ooze class, but as I said he was no where near as effective as he was in the first match.

Lukaku: :banghead: Movement was terrible, can't hold the ball up, couple with his usual abysmal first touch resulted in us not creating a single chance in the first half.

Josh: Came on for the last 30 mins, looked his usual composed self, played some excellent intelligent passes and recovered very well every time we lost the ball. But still he was bullied off the ball a couple of times by the opponents.

Piazon: He might be playing as a left winger with the youth squad, but his movement is that of a striker. He did look a bit nervous at times, but some of the runs and movements he does are both instinctive and classy. The goal he scored was only one of many runs he made, but unlike Malouda, Ramires was able to find him in the box. The finish was exquisite as well.

De Bryne: Was everywhere in the first half: good stamina and excellent work ethic. His defending is a real asset for the team. Unfortunately, on the offense he had very little to work with. His link-up with Hazard was the highlight of our first 45 mins.

Hutch: Looked by far our most solid defender in the opening half. He came under a lot of pressure but managed to handle it every time. I really think he a viable option at RB, I would trust him in any game.

Kakuta: Was just trying too hard. He always tracked back, but his defending is terrible. On the offense he tried to do too much at a time and ended up not doing anything at all.

Marin: Looked very sharp since coming on. Quick feet and excellent change of pace to beat defenders easily. Was the only one who was genuinely looking to create something for long periods of the second half. In short, a man of the match performance by the little German.

Hope that gives you a better idea about the match :D

Nicee. Thanks mate. Appreciate it. :D

where were these 'excellent intelligent passes' that he supposedly played? Josh is becoming so overrated by Chelsea fans these days! the only passes i saw him playing were his usual 2/3 yard sideways and backward passes.

where were these 'excellent intelligent passes' that he supposedly played? Josh is becoming so overrated by Chelsea fans these days! the only passes i saw him playing were his usual 2/3 yard sideways and backward passes.

It doesn't have to be a 50 yard defense splitting pass to be a good one. I used the word "Intelligent" because Josh very rarely plays the obvious pass, even if it is a side-way pass, his composure on the ball allows him to often find the player is space despite the opposition pressing. Another sign of intelligence is that he always knows when to switch play from side to side, if you re-watch the match you'll see that he did that a couple of times as well. But as I said in my first post, he still needs a lot of work because he is still being bullied off the ball by more powerful midfielders.

With all due respect, do the majority of your posts need to be this generalized? Try to address specific points so we can have a genuine discussion.

It doesn't have to be a 50 yard defense splitting pass to be a good one. I used the word "Intelligent" because Josh very rarely plays the obvious pass, even if it is a side-way pass, his composure on the ball allows him to often find the player is space despite the opposition pressing. Another sign of intelligence is that he always knows when to switch play from side to side, if you re-watch the match you'll see that he did that a couple of times as well. But as I said in my first post, he still needs a lot of work because he is still being bullied off the ball by more powerful midfielders.

With all due respect, do the majority of your posts need to be this generalized? Try to address specific points so we can have a genuine discussion.

no one said anything about 50 yard passes! he plays too many safe and easy passes nothing excellent or intelligent about that! and actually the majority of the time he does play the obvious pass as its the most easiest! Hazard played some excellent and intelligent passes! Mceachran didn't!

I'm sorry, but Lukaku was just sosososososososososososo shit last night.

He's a good goalscorer - not a good striker. (Think Mario Gomez, Dzeko, etc.)

We need a new striker ASAP.

Oh and fuck Torres and all his special treatment and protection. In 1 month he earns around £1mill and then he gets upset that there's competition at a top club? Well, I guess he hasn't played for a top club before, has he?

New striker please Roman.

I'm sorry, but Lukaku was just sosososososososososososo shit last night.

He's a good goalscorer - not a good striker. (Think Mario Gomez, Dzeko, etc.)

We need a new striker ASAP.

Oh and fuck Torres and all his special treatment and protection. In 1 month he earns around £1mill and then he gets upset that there's competition at a top club? Well, I guess he hasn't played for a top club before, has he?

New striker please Roman.

Ever since i first saw Lukaku play you could see how raw he is! he needs alot of improving his touch is woeful and his all round technique is very unimpressive! so he will surley get sent out on loan! so another striker coming in is almost certain!

no one said anything about 50 yard passes! he plays too many safe and easy passes nothing excellent or intelligent about that! and actually the majority of the time he does play the obvious pass as its the most easiest! Hazard played some excellent and intelligent passes! Mceachran didn't!

Okay, so intelligent is a matter of perspective. Josh and Hazard play in different position that require them to play different types of passes. Josh is required to, first and foremost keep possession. A DM is not allowed to take many risks and the fact that Josh realizes this at such a young age is, imo, the main reason he was labeled as the next big thing. What I meant by he doesn't play the obvious pass, is that he has the composure to keep the ball under pressure and wait for a team mate to find some space, even if it is a side way pass. What is not a matter of perspective, however, is that Josh had 90+% pass accuracy while Eden probably had less than 60%.