Schurrle signing confirmed; will wear #14

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm still unsure about him but after we missed out on Thomas Muller after the 2010 WC, I'm kind of hoping we do get him.

Hes not exactly the same as Muller/not as good as Muller but he has some similar qualities:

- Very fast

- Works very hard on and off the ball

- Can play as a striker, winger or just behind the striker

- Can score and create goals

- Comes inside as a forward for crosses like most German wingers do

Plus hes what about 6 ft which will give us some more height in a team lacking height.

Sure if you'd have said before we got Hazard and Oscar we needed this guy everyone would agree, we still need a winger as Moses is more a squad player who has been a bit off the boil for a while.

I've said before hes not worth the 20 odd million but still, he could be a good buy if he performs well. Would like to see KDB stay here though, he has been great in the Bundesliga.

schürrle is an inside forward. he is really quick, good dynamics and has a good shot (especially from distance). also he has quite a good work ethic, in terms of defense. more the counter-attacking player type. he is defenietly no winger though.

@RyanDavidson he is nowhere near to be Müller. müller plays COMPLETELY different than schürrle. also müller has way more vision and has a better understanding of the game. he is often mentionened as the perfect "raumdeuter"- somebody who exactly knows, when and in which place of the pitch he has to be. he isnt technically the strongest player nor he has a spectacular style like robben or ribery, but he is very efficient and knows exactly what to do. he is good as a 2nd striker/ behind the striker and also on the right wing .but müller isnt available anyway, so no worth to talk about him.

schürrle is an inside forward. he is really quick, good dynamics and has a good shot (especially from distance). also he has quite a good work ethic, in terms of defense. more the counter-attacking player type. he is defenietly no winger though.

@RyanDavidson he is nowhere near to be Müller. müller plays COMPLETELY different than schürrle. also müller has way more vision and has a better understanding of the game. he is often mentionened as the perfect "raumdeuter"- somebody who exactly knows, when and in which place of the pitch he has to be. he isnt technically the strongest player nor he has a spectacular style like robben or ribery, but he is very efficient and knows exactly what to do. he is good as a 2nd striker/ behind the striker and also on the right wing .but müller isnt available anyway, so no worth to talk about him.

completely agree. I would not like to have Müller here anyway, our system has no space for s.o. like him.

Rumours in germany that the deal has fallen through. I rather have an out-and-out winger who is even faster than Schürrle anyway.

Traditional wingers are rare these days...

Agreed. I think last night's win against Benfica showed how much we need viriety of depth in the squad. Even though we won we looked tired and slightly one dimensional. Schurrle would be a something different that is needed.

I think there are enough traditional wingers out there, but they are not fancied any more and are told to cut inside and shit. My younger brother played for a youth academy team. He is two-footed,lightning fast and can hit a cross in full run, the ideal winger, but the coaches always played him in defence and said "everything you can do is run, so we do not need you further forward". Players who rely on their pace and play directly are often underestimated and used wrongly.

It is symptomatically Schürrle is by some distance the fastest man in the German squad but is not that fast, maybe just as fast as Ramires

btw. We should have signed Lucas Moura instead of Oscar...

The more I've read and watched this guy, the more I see a less technically gifted Sturridge.

If we do get him, I hope we at least play him in his preferred position and not one that clearly hampers his play and impact on the game because there might be some bigger names in front of him on the team.

The more I've read and watched this guy, the more I see a less technically gifted Sturridge.

If we do get him, I hope we at least play him in his preferred position and not one that clearly hampers his play and impact on the game because there might be some bigger names in front of him on the team.

I think he has the talent to become and out and out winger on the right, and if he works on his crossing a little he could give us a lot of the width on the right side that we could really use. He has a much higher ceiling than Moses IMO, and at times he could cut in and use his excellent shooting to catch a goal the opposition isn't expecting. Would be a lot better than putting oscar on the right.

However, I think he's only really necessary if we keep up this 4-2-3-1, if Mou comes and switches us to a 4-3-3, we'd likely see mata on the right and hazard on the left and Schurrle would just be some very welcome but not as needed cover for either one.

No matter what, at worst he's providing a cover for either wing, which we've sorely needed as evidenced throughout the year with the likes of Marin, Bertrand, and Benayoun having to play it. No club anywhere near our stature should play those players on the wing (except marin, I feel like he has must have more promise than he shows, its just untapped).

Anyway, I think our conclusion is we're OK/Happy with the deal, but I doubt many of are jumping up and down happy about it. I can almost certainly guarantee you at 26-27 we will be able to sell him for a profit if we want, so its not a horrible financial venture at the worst.

I think there are enough traditional wingers out there, but they are not fancied any more and are told to cut inside and shit. My younger brother played for a youth academy team. He is two-footed,lightning fast and can hit a cross in full run, the ideal winger, but the coaches always played him in defence and said "everything you can do is run, so we do not need you further forward". Players who rely on their pace and play directly are often underestimated and used wrongly.

It is symptomatically Schürrle is by some distance the fastest man in the German squad but is not that fast, maybe just as fast as Ramires

dont need moura when we have hazard

Exactly, Lucas is doing wonders for PSG. That's the kind of winger we really need here. He reminds me Di Maria.

Everybody said that he is overrated, i don't think, he is a real gem

I said he has some similar attributes to Muller, not that he is the same as Thomas Muller. I thought raumdeuter was Muller's nick name, doesn't it not mean instigator of space or something?

Any news on this, or has it just gone dead in the last few weeks. Technically the window isn't open yet, so perhaps its done, just waiting, but haven't seen many reports.

German teams always come out and tell the fans transfer news so i dont think it is done! They are looking for a replacement and when they have someboby we will know!