Nathan Aké

James

9 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

we have first option on him

Don't see the need for Ake when we have Ampadu and AC waiting behind. It would make some sense if Cahill left and AC lost his patience and left also, but even then I doubt he'd be happy to rot behind Luiz and Rüdiger (FWIW, I like our CB pairing and don't see the need to change it just for the sake of it right now).

• 4 weeks later...

CHELSEA, MANCHESTER UNITED AND TOTTENHAM SET TO BATTLE IT OUT FOR £40M DEFENDER

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/chelsea-manchester-united-and-tottenham-set-to-battle-it-out-for-40m-defender

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe is resigned to the fact that star defender Nathan Ake is likely to leave the Cherries this season, but the south coast manager is ready ignite a bidding war for the £40m rated man with Chelsea, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are ready to try and snap up the Dutchman.

Ake joined Bournemouth from Chelsea last year in a deal worth £20m, but The Sun are reporting that the Blues have the chance to kick-start a £40m buy-back clause and Howe is almost certain that he will lose one of his men defensive assets.

So much so that Howe is already on the lookout for a replacement for Ake, who has been an integral figure in the Bournemouth back-line for the last couple of years, but while Chelsea have an option of grabbing their former player back, it's reported that a raft of top-flight clubs are interested in signing the 23-year-old and Jose Mourinho at United and Mauricio Pochettino at Spurs are sure to take an interest, while Pep Guardiola at Manchester City is another that could line up a surge for the classy performer.

With so many huge clubs looking to bolster their defensive ranks then it could work in Bournemouth's favour, who could well kick off a best-bid-wins style scramble for Ake's services, and it could end up with a fee of more than £40m paid for the Cherries man, which will in turn give Howe a tidy sum to go and find a replacement.

Ake has featured in every single Bournemouth league game this season, and has turned himself into one of the leading defensive performers in the division.

• 2 months later...
AKE OR BREAK

Chelsea in shock £40m move for ex-defender Nathan Ake

The Blues - who sold the 23-year-old to the Cherries in 2017 - have a buy-back option on the Dutch international

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8180678/chelsea-nathan-ake-summer-swoop-40m/

20 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Great yeah lets buy a CB who has made maybe 10 appearances at LB his whole career and use him there. Square peg round hole.

he's very versatile, we used him in midfield in a european semi final, as a teenager, and he did well

9 minutes ago, lucio said:

he's very versatile, we used him in midfield in a european semi final, as a teenager, and he did well

He plays CB every week and has done regularly for about 3 seasons now,  at Watford and at Bournemouth. He plays for the Dutch NT as a CB. Hes not a midfielder or a full back. If we were to sign him it would be as a CB. No more square pegs in round holes. Have we learned nothing. 

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

He plays CB every week and has done regularly for about 3 seasons now,  at Watford and at Bournemouth. He plays for the Dutch NT as a CB. Hes not a midfielder or a full back. If we were to sign him it would be as a CB. No more square pegs in round holes. Have we learned nothing. 

I've always been one for buying a layer who has traiuned his whole professin for one position.Like a knife made for a specific purpose. But Ive become more open to us buying players who are more like Swiss Army knives. One knife that is multi functioned.

But Ake is am out n out CB and I really dont think we would use him as LB

I wonder how Dave wouldd get on back on the left side? And we buy a RB

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

AKE OR BREAK

Chelsea in shock £40m move for ex-defender Nathan Ake

The Blues - who sold the 23-year-old to the Cherries in 2017 - have a buy-back option on the Dutch international

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8180678/chelsea-nathan-ake-summer-swoop-40m/

is ake so necessary? really don't understand the board's policy

chelsea is the second best defence in premier, after liverpool

but the 5th best attack

He's developing well at Bournemouth and the way the market is heading £40m might not be the most ridiculous money when we sold him far less proven for £20m.

I think it is someone we could well look at in the summer if Luiz was to leave (although I'd prefer Luiz to stay at present).

The club also has to be aware of the homegrown quota because with Fabregas left, and the likes of Moses, Cahill and Drinkwater likely leaving soon we have to ensure we're not left short in this regard. 

I believe Ake would be not only homegrown but club trained for european purposes too?

On 16/10/2018 at 8:35 AM, manpe said:

Don't see the need for Ake when we have Ampadu and AC waiting behind. It would make some sense if Cahill left and AC lost his patience and left also, but even then I doubt he'd be happy to rot behind Luiz and Rüdiger (FWIW, I like our CB pairing and don't see the need to change it just for the sake of it right now).

Probably Luiz replacement. As Luiz likely walks on a free in summer (we wont give him multi-year contract, a shit tonne of other too clubs will.)

I have other CB's who are actually available whom I rate over Ake

In order

Matthijs de Ligt

Milan Škriniar

Lucas Hernández ( Bayern deal NOT done yet, and he is a top 3 or 4 LB in world too)

Alessio Romagnoli 

Dayot Upamecano

Manuel Akanji

Éder Militão

Jonathan Tah

Nikola Milenkovic

Issa Diop

Thilo Kehrer

Rúben Dias

But Aké is HG, and unless it is between him and the ones the ones above starting with Éder Militão and up (as those all are clearly superior to Aké right now) I won't lose my mind. I rate him over AC atm.

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Probably Luiz replacement. As Luiz likely walks on a free in summer (we wont give him multi-year contract, a shit tonne of other too clubs will.)

I have other CB's who are actually available whom I rate over Ake

In order

Matthijs de Ligt

Milan Škriniar

Lucas Hernández ( Bayern deal NOT done yet, and he is a top 3 or 4 LB in world too)

Alessio Romagnoli 

Dayot Upamecano

Manuel Akanji

Éder Militão

Jonathan Tah

Nikola Milenkovic

Issa Diop

Thilo Kehrer

Rúben Dias

But Aké is HG, and unless it is between him and the ones the ones above starting with Éder Militão and up (as those all are clearly superior to Aké right now) I won't lose my mind. I rate him over AC atm.

LOL I know the 1st for by heart now

But we are going to have HG issues. And I know how much you liked AC but for some unknown reason hes just not been right.

I dont see Luiz getting a contract tho and IF we did I see him turning a 1 year down and walking like you say.

Our transfers and contract renewals are in a right mess.

I've always been one for buying a layer who has traiuned his whole professin for one position.Like a knife made for a specific purpose. But Ive become more open to us buying players who are more like Swiss Army knives. One knife that is multi functioned.

But Ake is am out n out CB and I really dont think we would use him as LB

I wonder how Dave wouldd get on back on the left side? And we buy a RB

Azpi would not be good at LB, he has played there before, and struggled. Inverted fullbacks usually are bläääääää.

I do, however, adore true multi-position capable players.

Lucas Hernandez, £72m release clause, he us both a top LV (only Alaba is better IMHO) and a top 6, 7, 8 CB in world. Bayern is on the verge of getting him, grrrr. IMHO, we are insane to not be all over him at that price. He is literally 6 times the player Alonso is (triple as better and at TWO positions v La Tortuga's one).

Benjamin Pavard, whom Bayern just bought for only £31m, top 20 CB, top 15 RB. He IS what AC SHOULD be.

Frenkie de Jong, superb MF (any position in MF) and can also play CB, RB, and even LW.

Mbappe and Dembele, both can play either wing, CF if needed, secondary striker, and even have seen them drop back into a number 10 role. Jadon Sancho projects to this too.

Junior Firpo, cracking good LB, but can also play LMF, AMF, and LW, and CB. 

Valentino Lazaro, exact same as Firpo, just on the right. 

Kai Havertz, best young AMF in world, and can also play both wings, CMF, a number 10, and even CF or 2nd striker.

Anthony Martial, CF and LW

Sergi Roberto, top 5 RB, and can play in most MF positions too, as well as CB.

Memphis Depay CF, LW, AMF, 2nd striker

Nicolò Barella, anywhere in MF, also RB or LW in a pinch.

LOL I know the 1st for by heart now

But we are going to have HG issues. And I know how much you liked AC but for some unknown reason hes just not been right.

I dont see Luiz getting a contract tho and IF we did I see him turning a 1 year down and walking like you say.

Our transfers and contract renewals are in a right mess.

We need to buy a HG 2nd GK, hopefully Gunn. Add in Bulka as 3rd there is 3 HG's.

Here is my ideal 25 man squad. 8 HG's. Feel free to flip Aké for AC. Aké is better atm, although AC has higher upside, just maybe not here.

This assumes Eden, CHO, Luiz etc are gone.

25 man roster, (including 8 HG's, so no issue there)

GK Kepa

GK Angus Gunn (HG)

GK Bulka (HG)

CB Rudiger

CB Militão (ball playing CB who replaces Luiz)

CB Azpi

CB Ampadu (HG) MF cover as well

CB AC (HG) or Aké (HG)

LB Chilwell (HG) I prefer Firpo, but Chilwell is HG, and I think Shitty grab Firpo. Could still do Firpo if we bought Zaha (HG) at winger instead of Suso.

LB Alonso (or Emerson)

RB Achraf Hakimi (came as part of the Eden RM deal)

RB Reece James (HG)  plus Azpi as cover

DH DMF Jorginho

DH DMF Sandro Tonali (after Paredes leaves to Boca Juniors from loan or buy we do now)

CMF Kante

CMF Nicolo Barella (He can play all 3 MF positions, so no pressure on Tonali to stp up instantly when Jorginho cannot play, we buy him and loan him back now)

AMF Nabil Fekir

AMF RLC (HG)

LW Pulisic (right footed)

LW Lozano (right footed)

RW Suso (left footed) I prefer Nicolas Pepe, btw, but just trying to make most realistic deals, and I had us swapping Morata plus £10m to AC Milan for Suso.

RW Malcom (left footed) Came in the Willian deal.

CF Piatek 

CF  Jovic

CF Tammy (HG)

• 3 weeks later...