Spike

1. Control is like a wet bar of soap. The harder you squeeze, the further it flies.

2. Drastically improve conditions to get Hamas out of order - as i said before, it is the agent israel put there to undermine PLO power that bites now.

3. Hope this creates a valid discussion partner, which you lost with the decline of PLO. You will need the peoples support for this.

4. Go for gradual full integration to actieve this.

5. How: full participation of the palestines - eventually. But start with the fundamentals - bit by bit. Give freedom and hope to them. It sounds fluffy but it really isnt. Self determination, freedom of movement, clarity about returning to their land ( or the impossibility of it)

6. Time ....... Too much time.

The alternative is to continue which is a ticking time bomb for the Middle East.

How can Israel improve conditions?? With who's money?? It's not simple. The Israeli community would not like that. Their money flies there...'Hope' is not good enough!!

Sadly, this conflict won't end soon. Both sides need to change approach towards peace. I will do my best as an Israeli citizen who recruits in less than two weeks to change the approach of many right-wing Israelis. I can't force but I can try and I have succeed in the past. An approach that will lead to a solution. I hope people at the other side are doing the same if possible.

Man what a time to be called up :(

You just turned 18?

1. Control is like a wet bar of soap. The harder you squeeze, the further it flies.

2. Drastically improve conditions to get Hamas out of order - as i said before, it is the agent israel put there to undermine PLO power that bites now.

3. Hope this creates a valid discussion partner, which you lost with the decline of PLO. You will need the peoples support for this.

4. Go for gradual full integration to actieve this.

5. How: full participation of the palestines - eventually. But start with the fundamentals - bit by bit. Give freedom and hope to them. It sounds fluffy but it really isnt. Self determination, freedom of movement, clarity about returning to their land ( or the impossibility of it)

6. Time ....... Too much time.

The alternative is to continue which is a ticking time bomb for the Middle East.

I will repeat! If Israel does all that?? Can you promise there will be peace and no 'terror' state?

I will repeat! If Israel does all that?? Can you promise there will be peace and no 'terror' state?

I think we can promise you that it has a better chance to achieve peace than killing palestinians and making their lives miserable, this is a way I know for sure won't bring peace. As corny as it sounds, violence only generates more violence.

I think we can promise you that it has a better chance to achieve peace than killing palestinians and making their lives miserable, this is a way I know for sure won't bring peace. As corny as it sounds, violence only generates more violence.

Israel does not kill for fun. Israel does not want to kill civilians. Unfortunately they do kill innocent civilians that stand in the way to stop 'terror' (I do not approve that but it happenes and Israel must defend itself). I will ask again. Can the 'international community' promise that if Israel acts right, there will be peace and quiet from the Palestines? I have studied that and there is no promising such a thing. I personally think Israel should follow back to what Rabin did but I understand the claim of many Israelis who say that it's a very naive move that can cause lots of trouble in the future. 'REAL TROUBLE' not like Hamas shooting a couple of 'shit' rockets from Gaza. This is not easy.

Israel does not kill for fun. Israel does not want to kill civilians. Unfortunately they do kill innocent civilians that stand in the way to stop 'terror' (I do not approve that but it happenes and Israel must defend itself). I will ask again. Can the 'international community' promise that if Israel acts right, there will be peace and quiet from the Palestines? I have studied that and there is no promising such a thing. I personally think Israel should follow back to what Rabin did but I understand the claim of many Israelis who say that it's a very naive move that can cause lots of trouble in the future. 'REAL TROUBLE' not like Hamas shooting a couple of 'shit' rockets from Gaza. This is not easy.

That's why Stingray said there must be a leap of faith. Nobody can assure Israel it will happen. What can be assured is if you continue "defending" yourself it won't stop until either side is completely destroyed. You guys could start using the money which will be saved from not spending in military actions to help reaching the goal of peace.

Of course there are no guarantees, but that is the most likely, if not the ONLY way peace can be achieved.

To begin with, the attack nor the siege is or even can stop the rockets. This has already been proved. So it's not like you're risking losing anything with ending them.

Better living conditions does not mean spending a lot of money. In fact, your state spends A LOT on making their lives miserable. You can make their lives a million times betetr by addressing these issues:

Again, there are no guarantees, but history shows that extremists rise as a result of extreme situations. In fact Hamas themselves are living proof of that. Go back and look into the past 66 years, especially the last 32 years, every single time Israel have launched a war to end a resistance, a stronger and more radical one has emerged from the ashes.

Right now, you can talk about Hamas using civilians as shields all you want, but the fact is, the absolute majority of Gaza is behind Hamas and rooting for them. The power is not for Hamas, the power is always for the people. If Hamas does anything that is against the will of the people they will be rejected by the Palestinian society. A resistance has nothing if not the people.

Human history teaches us that giving people freedom and a good life is the only way to possibly get rid of extremism. The instinct to live a happy life transcends any thoughts beliefs or ideologies. I cannot guarantee that will happen in Palestine, but I CAN guarantee that there will never be any hopes of peace with the continued violence. All you will get is even more extremism.

I won't go into the one-state discussion further because, as I said, I do not believe it is possible in the foreseeable future. But I will say that the two-states only widens the gap and confirms the differences that are the origin of the conflict. It can never be a long-term solution.

I agree 100 percent.

As you said, Of course there are no guarantees, but that is the most likely, if not the ONLY way peace can be achieved.

Sadly, most Israelis need that 'guarantee' and you MUST admit they have a point. I support your claims 100 percent though.

They can choose to say "We want peace, we do not want to fight, we want a country". The shit right-wing Israeli goverment will delay them from a state as long as they can but in the end they will have to give it to them. It's a better approach than resist with 'terror'.

That's why Stingray said there must be a leap of faith. Nobody can assure Israel it will happen. What can be assured is if you continue "defending" yourself it won't stop until either side is completely destroyed. You guys could start using the money which will be saved from not spending in military actions to help reaching the goal of peace.

Correct except that last part "You guys could start using the money which will be saved from not spending in military actions to help reaching the goal of peace."

Muzchap, i like you. But this is happenings as are the plus 600 pictures of people being bombed in a de facto prison. To do nothing is a crime. It would be the same as to do nothing in the Shoah. Its a responsability. You seem to think stuff is pretty ok, but it is nuts. To think you can let them argue it out is the same as say : let the Warschau getto people talk it out with the occupier. Im not even kidding here. Get some background plz, i beg you. Even though i agree this is a minority

Hey - where have I ever said its ok?

Never

I said as a World we haven't progressed since Medieval times?

The point I'm trying to make is that extremists on both sides are the cause, whilst the 'majority' of innocent people are killed, maimed and traumatised beyond belief...

So there are a bunch of arseholes who think its cool to relish killing people - yet they scream outrage if they or their family are hurt. These guys are hypocrites first and foremost - terrible people second...

There are no 'winners' in a war - just one bigger loser than the other.

This conflict is akin to Pyrrichs victory - one side will claim victory, but at what cost?

The only sensible resolution is a forced ceasefire immediately - then negotiations - via a 3rd party intermediary - this has to stop!

And whilst not on the same scale - my family suffered during the IRA conflict and 3 of my cousins were killed in a bomb blast - all innocent people at a party - not one militant there!

So I'm not being blasé about this - I just struggle to comprehend its 2014 and this madness continues...

Correct except that last part "You guys could start using the money which will be saved from not spending in military actions to help reaching the goal of peace."

If you took the leap of faith and ceased fire wouldn't you guys be saving some money in weaponry? I would think so. From what I've heard wars are expensive.

If you took the leap of faith and ceased fire wouldn't you guys be saving some money in weaponry? I would think so. From what I've heard wars are expensive.

The money that we could have 'earned' from that would be better moved into the economy.

Again, the situation in Israel financially isn't good. The majority of the people are not living 'well' they would not appreciate that their money goes to other people, not citizens, and that is 100 % legitimate.

The money that we could have 'earned' from that would be better moved into the economy.

Wouldn't it be good for economy to work in a state of peace and being able to have a commercial partner that lives just by your borders? Wars are wonderful for the economy. For the economy of the countries supplying you, because your labor force is occupied fighting the enemy, not producing any trading goods, thus making a case for importing weaponry, more food etc. Good for them, definitely not good for you. Achieving peace with your neighbors is a good way to improve your economy.

Wouldn't it be good for economy to work in a state of peace and being able to have a commercial partner that lives just at your border? Wars are wonderful for the economy. For the economy of the countries supplying you, because your labor force is occupied fighting the enemy, not producing any trading goods, thus making a case for importing weaponry, more food etc. Good for them, definitely not good for you. Achieving peace with your neighbors is a good way to improve your economy.

No. You are simply wrong not because what you are saying is wrong. What you are saying is true but you don't understand the situation.

No. You are simply wrong not because what you are saying is wrong. What you are saying is true but you don't understand the situation.

Then explain it to me. I'm trying to understand what the problem is.

I agree 100 percent.

As you said, Of course there are no guarantees, but that is the most likely, if not the ONLY way peace can be achieved.

Sadly, most Israelis need that 'guarantee' and you MUST admit they have a point. I support your claims 100 percent though.

They can choose to say "We want peace, we do not want to fight, we want a country". The shit right-wing Israeli goverment will delay them from a state as long as they can but in the end they will have to give it to them. It's a better approach than resist with 'terror'.

You also have to remember something buddy, such a proactive peaceful approach by Israel, would put neighbouring countries in a tight spot. They will be forced to help out maintain such achievements and as crazy as this might sound they will actually face Hamas or any other Islamic extremist group that rises. Btw such cooperation between Israel and Egypt already exists but very limited. The Egyptian military has been fighting on daily basis in Sinai now for months and taking out extremists. Some of which are Hamas members. Now that means there is a clear breach of the peace treaty between Egypt and Israel. Yet Israel does nothing about it. You know why? Because both of them agreed on it, as extremists might target Israel from Sinai, causing a conflict between Egypt and Israel. Countries like Egypt and others will cooperate with Israel to end extremists. Actually you will have more partners than you think. Strategic partners.

I'm going to elaborate an analogy to showcase more or less how I see the situation. And forgive me if it ends up sounding a tad simplistic or if I got something wrong.

You see, I have been living in this house for quite some years now. Then one day, out of the blue, someone knocks at my door and says that this dude who is 6'6'' tall (while I am 5'10'') has the right to be living in my house. Of course I don't like it and I want to fight him and take him out. But in the end he's stronger and wins - as I don't have anywhere else to go, I stay in the house and try to keep my losses at a minimum. However, this dude now has decided half of my house is not enough for him and he takes by force the second bathroom too, leaving me with none. And then he keeps taking more and more until I'm left to live in my backyard and sleep in the dog's house. Can you blame me for taking my rockets I used to hide below the dog's house and wanting to blow his face? Unfortunately he has a force shield and I can't hit him directly, he only takes minor injuries from the explosions around, and he comes in the backyard and beats the shit out of me whenever I try it. He says he's only defending himself from me and asks me to stop. He claims he doesn't understand why can't I just accept and live in the place where he left me to live.

How different could it have gone if after settling in my house he offered to discuss which part I wanted to keep and which part he wanted, or better, if everything was shared as common space? If he offered to split the costs for internet and cable tv? If he volunteered to take turns for taking the clothes to the laundry? I mean, it's true I lost some freedom and space and I'm still pissed about that. But I can't take him out by force and his stay here has increased my quality of life despite everything. Maybe I'm willing to compromise, maybe it could be good for both of us. However, had he took the place I consider mine with all my stuff to himself by force and left me to live a miserable life I'm pretty sure I would be more willing to kill him than to make any kind of deal.

The first situation is what happened in simple terms. The second is what Choulo19 proposed and that may or may not be out of reach at this point.