Spike

So, the Syrian 'moderate' resistance looks to have been resurrected from the dead, at least by the looks. After doing piratically nothing for what? About 18 months now? several of those groups held massive rallies this week seeming to compete to prove who is 'moderate' than the other :lol:

Meaning? Probably that the US is genuinely contemplating strikes against ISIS inside Syria and are looking for someone to replace it in its current areas of power. Practically, Al Nusra will be the only one replacing ISIS who are Al Qaeda's branch in Syria, but that isn't great PR for the US so they need some group that would look like they are taking the power, at least in some areas.

Either this has already been killed by ISIS (I highly doubt it) or the US/KSA thought that the militias needed "new management". Yesterday (or was it the day before?) a "mystery explosion" took out a meeting between the leaders of "Ahrar Al Sham" killing more than 50 of them including their leader. "Ahrar Al Sham" are probably the the biggest "moderate" resistance militia, bar Al Nusra. Some claim they have near 40000 fighters.

I can't possibly see how the situation in the region can get worse, but I have a feeling I'm about to find out...

Sales of weapons is big, big business by countries especially the US. It is now almost at Cold War levels, a staggering $1000 bn per annum. Death and maiming is great for profit.

The biggest buyers are the developing nations, and the two biggest buyers at the moment are India and Saudi Arabia.

An estimated 6000 fighters from the "moderate" Syrian rebels have joined ISIS in the past couple of weeks in response to rumors that the US and NATO are going to perform airstrikes in Syria. They'll just never get it...

I hope ISIS let Alan Herring go.

Bloke is a hero, has selflessly devoted himself to helping the stricken in Syria, nd British muslims have sent a tape to ISIS demanding his release. If they chop off his head apart from the ruthlessness it would just confirm ISIS as being out and out cunts and a massive pr fuck up for them

An estimated 6000 fighters from the "moderate" Syrian rebels have joined ISIS in the past couple of weeks in response to rumors that the US and NATO are going to perform airstrikes in Syria. They'll just never get it...

The Senate and House have approved funds for weapons and training of the "moderate Syrians". Here we go again.

The Senate and House have approved funds for weapons and training of the "moderate Syrians". Here we go again.

I can't think of any possible way that this is going to end well. It's not black and white between "moderate" and "extremist". The differences between the two are political, not ideological. The secular opposition to Al Assad does not exist inside Syria.

The Russell Tribunal on Palestine which is assessing Israels war crimes in Gaza during Operation Protective Edge. The full testimony is available on the Tribunals website.

The likes of film maker Ken Loach, music legend Roger Waters and internationally renowned lawyers such as Michael Mansfield QC formed a jury while expert witnesses from Gaza and beyond testified to the atrocities of the 50 day offensive.

Having borne personal witness to the unimaginable brutality and carnage of Israels onslaught while in Gaza in August, much of today was like a live action replay evoking the same fear, anger and tear-inducing gutteral sadness that reduces you to shoulder-shaking sobs.

Here are some of the key points:

Roger Waters, Pink Floyd Music Legend

To witnesses: You have led us very eloquently into hell today. This is heartbreaking

Ivan Karakashian, Advocacy Unit Coordinator at Defense for Children International

16 yr old boy stripped naked and used as human shield by Israel for 5 days. He was denied food, water and sleep and mentally and physically abused, including lashed with a wire across his back. Israeli army stopped a family car near a West Bank protest over Gaza. Positioned their weapons in the windows of back doors, where toddlers were sitting and began to fire on protest. This is not an isolated incident. There is a clear, recorded pattern of Israel using Palestinian children as human shields during attacks on Gaza.

Max Blumenthal, American author, journalist, and blogger

We found one of 89 families completely liquidated during Operation Protective Edge so badly burned/destroyed they had to be buried in a mass grave by a bulldozer evoking memories of the darkest times in European history. On outskirts of Rafah, I heard testimony from 19 yr old Mohammed Abu Said of how Israeli soldiers stripped him naked and sniped at neighbours, then set the dogs on him in between shooting rounds. In Khuzaa a man left a group of <resistance> fighters in his home. He returned to find their throats had been cut, their bodies piled in a corner and burnt with grenades. A clear pattern of executions has been established. Israeli soldiers gather civilians in an open area, asks if anyone speaks Hebrew. When people step forward, they shoot them dead. Four brothers of one man were taken into garden and shot dead, one of them was mentally disabled and had little idea he was being killed.

Martin Lejeune, German journalist

More than 90% of Gazas agricultural output destroyed by Israel over summer, almost all farms destroyed. Israel destroyed 220 factories in Gaza, this constitutes around 70% of Gazas industrial output gone.There was no military justification for the destruction of these factories whatsoever. I stayed in Gaza for one month in a house with 72 Palestinian civilians, 60 of whom had been displaced. It was overcrowded, tap water wasnt working anymore, we had to buy fuel, we had to bake our own bread as none available in shops. 220 factories were completely destroyed during the 7 weeks of Israels Operation Protective Edge. Israel has succeeded in turning a functional economy in Gaza into a third world territory in just 8 years, through the blockade and four large scale military assaults. Israel is not only attacking systematically civilians in their homes, but systematically destroying the economy of Gaza to make people dependent on aid.

Dr Mohammad Abou-Arab, Gaza Doctor at Al Shifa Hospital

One ambulance worker shot in the head and bled to death while fellow workers were told if they tried to assist him, they would be killed too. Another worker burned to death in his ambulance after a missile attack against it his colleague was severely injured in the attack, left with life-altering burn injuries. We are talking about Gaza firefighters, police officers, ambulance workers and other emergency services workers being routinely shot at by snipers and missiles by Israeli military. Anyone who knows anything about Palestinian society knows that no Palestinian would use a child or family as a human shield. Israel however routinely used Palestinians as human shields throughout this operation and those prior.

Dr Mads Glibert:Norwegian Doctor who served in Al Shifa Hospital, Gaza Throughout Offensive

This is a systematic attack to rid Palestinians from the land. If you are an 8 yr old child in Gaza today, you have survived 4 of these onslaughts 2006, 2008/9, 2012 and 2014. What does this do to a child? To their feeling of safety? To their outlook on the world? The medical system of Gaza was already on its knees before the summer attacks due to Israeli blockade This is a medical disaster the capacity for treatment is massively exceeded by medical needs. Such disaster often happen in natural disasters like earthquakes or tsunamisbut Gaza was deliberate, controlled and executed by the Israelis.

Mohammed Omer, Award-winning Palestinian Journalist based in Gaza

Israeli army routinely defecate in Palestinian homes and buildings they occupy, leaving behind racist and violent graffiti together with piles of shit.

The Imam in Gaza was held for days by Israeli troops who ordered him at gunpoint to use mosque tannoy to call on community to come to the mosque. As young people gathered they were surrounded by Israeli troops, stripped naked at gunpoint and tortured/killed for sport.

The Imam was used as human shield by Israeli troops. He was stripped naked at gunpoint in front of men, women and children of the neighborhood.

These are just a handful of moments from the full day of testimony.

A simple explanation of politics in the middle east:

ByARxIZIMAAlFMC.jpg

That chart is just messy.. LOL. I might actually be more confused than when I started. At first, I read that as Israel was allies with Syria.. which of course is totally wrong. Then I read it the correct way round.

None-the-less I think that the West needs to change tactics with ISIS/ISIL/IS or whatever they want to call themselves. Annoying Iran isn't the best way to solve this problem. Unfortunately Western politicians still think they are playing “The Great Game” and want to control Russia and Iran at all costs. What's a few thousand Arab lives if we can control Iran and Syria they say?

We need an Unlikely Alliance to solve this problem. Not more empty bluster and rhetoric.

Controversial comment:

al-Assad is the only one strong enough to defeat ISIS.

That chart is just messy.. LOL. I might actually be more confused than when I started. At first, I read that as Israel was allies with Syria.. which of course is totally wrong. Then I read it the correct way round.

None-the-less I think that the West needs to change tactics with ISIS/ISIL/IS or whatever they want to call themselves. Annoying Iran isn't the best way to solve this problem. Unfortunately Western politicians still think they are playing “The Great Game” and want to control Russia and Iran at all costs. What's a few thousand Arab lives if we can control Iran and Syria they say?

We need an Unlikely Alliance to solve this problem. Not more empty bluster and rhetoric.

Controversial comment:

al-Assad is the only one strong enough to defeat ISIS.

The thing is, this current "war" is not aimed to defeat any of the sides, it is just to stop ISIS from winning, which they were close to in Iraq. The aim is to prolong the war as long as possible.

There can be no solutions without Russia, Iran and Al Assad himself.

The thing is, this current "war" is not aimed to defeat any of the sides, it is just to stop ISIS from winning, which they were close to in Iraq. The aim is to prolong the war as long as possible.

There can be no solutions without Russia, Iran and Al Assad himself.

I'd agree and disagree with that comment. Originally, the goal of the Syrian Civil war was to force al-Assad out of power and deprive Iran and Russia of a key ally. ISIS/ISIL/IS was funded by Saudi Arabia and other powerful gulf states. They got out of control and decided to go into the American puppet state of Iraq.

Big No NO.

Now the West bomb them.. because nothing screams saving lives like bombing civilians.

I am convinced that they still want their Syrian puppet state but nobody will support them on that. See last year. Now the goal is to keep the region in turmoil for as long as possible.

I'd agree and disagree with that comment. Originally, the goal of the Syrian Civil war was to force al-Assad out of power and deprive Iran and Russia of a key ally. ISIS/ISIL/IS was funded by Saudi Arabia and other powerful gulf states. They got out of control and decided to go into the American puppet state of Iraq.

Big No NO.

Now the West bomb them.. because nothing screams saving lives like bombing civilians.

I am convinced that they still want their Syrian puppet state but nobody will support them on that. See last year. Now the goal is to keep the region in turmoil for as long as possible.

That's very true, but Al Assad is not going anywhere any time soon because Syria is not Iraq. First, the regional and international circumstances are completely different. The "Objection Axis" (wow, that does NOT translate well from Arabic at all!) is a lot stronger. Iran and Russia view the fall of the Syrian regime as the defeat of all their plans and interest in the region. They are putting in all their weight to not lose this war, but they can't win it either. The situation is going to stay as it is for some time.

THE Speaker of the House has stuck on his special war CD to get ministers fired up.

The compilation disc, which includes tracks by Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Nas and Oasis, will be played on repeat during the debate about military action in Syria.

Speaker John Bercow said: “The right soundtrack is incredibly important. During the Syria debate last year, the CD changer got stuck on a Café del Mar album and everyone was too blissed out to really go for it.

“This time I’ve got it perfectly sequenced so AC/DC’s If You Want Blood plays immediately before they go out to the lobbies.

“I’d like to see anyone rebel against that.”

That's very true, but Al Assad is not going anywhere any time soon because Syria is not Iraq. First, the regional and international circumstances are completely different. The "Objection Axis" (wow, that does NOT translate well from Arabic at all!) is a lot stronger. Iran and Russia view the fall of the Syrian regime as the defeat of all their plans and interest in the region. They are putting in all their weight to not lose this war, but they can't win it either. The situation is going to stay as it is for some time.

Agreed entirely. If Syria were to fall, it would be a complete and utter disaster for Russia and Iran. The other thing that isn't well documented is how many Westerners actually sympathise with al-Assad and the Syrian government. The British parliament have been forced to pass this intervention in Iraq but not in Syria bill because of the rebellion from the backbenchers. The backbenchers and Labour will not support military action in Syria. They fear Cameron and others will use this as a pretext to bomb the hell out of al-Assad. Rifkind head of the intelligence committee in parliament was demanding talks with al-Assad the other week.

I think the Russian/Iranian/Syrian side could win the war.. if the US and Saudi's would cease funding the so called moderate rebels. All of these guns are ending up with the extremists anyways.

I'll also add this point:

A so called Moderate victory would lead to even more anarchy. They would have NO authority at all. More extremism and more instability. Iran would do to the new government what Saudia Arabia has done to al-Assad.

Dangerous political-military movements always existed in the middle east and in eastern Africa.

Magdi, Tuareg, Black September, Saddam ...
You put them down but nothing happens.

The only real solution is a Marshall plan, to end poverty.

It was done in Europe in the 1950s.

Continued protests in HK to gain full voting rights. Going there in 3 weeks, whether they'll still be protesting or not remains to be seen. It's a noble gesture, however Beijing is not going to give in as they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

If they're still protesting, I'm going to head down there and sit in for a night or 2. Show my support.

What protesting in HK is like

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-29423147