Benfica await...

BlueLion.

Chelsea have been drawn against SL Benfica in the last eight of the Champions League, with a potential semi-final against the victor of Barcelona-AC Milan to follow.

The Blues, who so heroically overturned a 3-1 deficit to beat SSC Napoli on Wednesday evening thanks to goals from Frank Lampard, John Terry, Didier Drogba and Branislav Ivanovic, will thankfully have the slender advantage of playing the first leg in Lisboa at the magnificent Estadio da Luz before the return fixture at Stamford Bridge.

The match will represent a homecoming of sorts to Brazilian duo Ramires and David Luiz; both of whom plied their trade with the Portuguese giants prior to joining the West London outfit. Former Blue Nemanja Matic will also return to Stamford Bridge having established himself in the Benfica set-up with more than 20 appearances this term (approximately ten times more chances than he'd have got with the Blues, but that's another matter entirely....).

Should the Blues progress, they will face the prospect to a visit to either the San Siro or the Camp Nou to face one of the giants of European football. With nine Champions League titles between them, the possibility of playing Milan or Barcelona - with the home leg first - means that the Blues will certainly have to do things the hard way.

It is indeed ironic that the so-called Big Three of Barcelona, Real Madrid (who play APEOL Nicosia of Cyprus) and Bayern Munich (who face Marseilles in the last of the four ties) have been kept apart in this draw. Fourth-favourites Chelsea have also been separated from the other fancied sides, who are all likely to meet each other in the semi-finals; though Benfica will be no pushovers.

Main man Oscar Cardozo has 23 goals in 31 games this season, and after knocking out Zenit in the last round 4-3 on aggregate (the Portuguese side coming from 3-2 down in the first leg), the Blues' opponents have played 12 matches in the competition this year (including qualifiers) and have tasted defeat just once. They also went through the group stages unbeaten and draw 1-1 and 2-2 with Manchester United. A repeat of those scorelines would again work in favour of the Lisbon club. Furthermore, they are just a single point behind Porto in the race for the league title, meaning they will be formidable opponents.

The quarter-final draw in full is:

APOEL v Real Madrid

Marseille v Bayern Munich

Benfica v Chelsea

AC Milan v Barcelona

Games will be played on March 27/28 and April 3/4.

Semi-final dates are April 17/18 and 24/25. Finalised details will be released shortly.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David Luiz goes home. Nemanja Matic comes home. It's been written hasn't it.

Anyway, quite relieved. We escaped Madrid, Milan, Barca & Bayern. Hopefully these guys will all do damage to each other (Minus Madrid who got the best draw!), I have hope, especially with the second leg being at the Bridge :D

Just got back form a career's day, i was on my way there trying to text loads of mates to see who we have no one was answering or texting back so i was still on egde shitting it that we had Madrid or Farca but someone in car let me borrow their phone internet checked and was satisfied tbh.

Our best chance of pulling this off is either us or preferably Milan producing a stellar 2 legs against Barca, it can be done, and hopefully Munich will knock Jose's Madrid because i think they will be hard to beat because of Jose.

Befica in quarter, Milan in semi, Munich in final would be great.

how does it depend on the semi final who is home first?

If we get through we are home to Barca/AC Milan first i think :(

I can understand why people think playing the first leg away is a slight advantage, but the possibility of having an extra 30 mins to grab away goals for the travelling team surely isn't to shabby either. A point which me and a few people I've spoke to this week feel is worth moaning about.

Tough game, but fairly confident if we turn up we can have them. Think Milan will put up a fight at home but can't see them knocking out Barca. So I'd say it's a Chelsea - Barca semi, as I'm sure most would agree.

I can understand why people think playing the first leg away is a slight advantage, but the possibility of having an extra 30 mins to grab away goals for the travelling team surely isn't to shabby either. A point which me and a few people I've spoke to this week feel is worth moaning about.

Tough game, but fairly confident if we turn up we can have them. Think Milan will put up a fight at home but can't see them knocking out Barca. So I'd say it's a Chelsea - Barca semi, as I'm sure most would agree.

I'm pretty sure away goals don't matter once in extra time.