The Rebuilding Project - Analysis of our Squad Part 2: Defence

For Part 1 on goalkeepers: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/12591-the-rebuilding-project-analysis-of-our-squad-part-1-goalkeepers/

The Current Squad

The centre back position is arguably now the strongest area of the pitch with the addition of Cahill.

John Terry, despite the talk of 'phasing out the old guard' still has a huge role to play at this football club. For a player who has never relied on pace and at 31, you would like to think he still has another 2-3 years playing at the highest level. What cannot be questioned is perhaps Terry's most valuable attributes - his leadership qualities and commitment to the cause, epitomised with last night's performance. The problem's that Terry has faced on the pitch in the last couple of years is that we have been so desperate to play him at all costs, his form has suffered as a result of injuries and fitness.

However where Terry's career can now hopefully be prolonged is that in Cahill and David Luiz we have a very promising partnership in the making. Both complement Terry well with good pace and genuine class on the ball, however both showed a good understanding, albeit against Birmingham, and I fully expect now in the future for both to get plenty of opportunities to play together, giving Terry the valuable rest periods he will need.

Cahill was an excellent purchase in my eyes, particularly for the price, and adds real depth to our squad in the centre back department. I fully believed that he would form a strong partnership with Terry, particularly given David Luiz's well publicised troubles this season. However since AVB's departure, David Luiz looks like a different player! Still very good on the ball and capable of driving forward from deep. However such marauding runs are now not attempted as often and a possible 'over composure' on the ball in tight situations seems to have been ironed out. IMO he was man of the match against Napoli and with his form seemingly now on an upward curve we have three players worthy of a first team place competing for just two spots.

And to top it off, if we require another centre back of genuine quality we have Ivanovic. I see Brana as fourth choice in this department mainly because he is first choice right back. Over the past couple of seasons his attacking play has really improved but he also gives us height and aerial prowess both in attack and defence, and is just much more solid than our other right backs.

Jose Bosingwa is a player which I don't rate very highly. I could previously understand playing him as an attack minded full back but I believe Ivanovic is just as good going forward now. And defenders should first and foremost defend, something Bosingwa clearly struggles with. In particular his positioning with regards to the right sided centre back is abysmal and has been exploited on numerous occasions this season.

Paulo Ferreira has been a great servant but rarely features now and his place would be much better taken up by a younger player.

Sam Hutchinson is a player I think who will always be held fondly in the eyes of Chelsea fans, given his determination to recover from what had been a career ending injury. There is no doubting his quality, and given his circumstances and the likelihood he will never be able to play regular games, he will likely be content as a squad player.

On the left hand side, Ashley Cole is still one of best left backs around. He has lost a yard of pace, expected now at the age of 31, but his experience remains important. He regularly performs to a high standard and has a knack of being in the right place at the right time (goaline clearance in the first leg in Naples anyone?) Chelsea need to have plans in place for his long term replacement, but for at least another season I see no reason why Ashley Cole shouldn't remain our first choice.

The possible long term left back could well be Ryan Bertrand. The problem is at this moment we just don't know because he has not been given enough opportunities. He has to be properly installed as second choice, which means getting the odd game in the Premiership to give Ashley Cole a rest, even if it is against the 'weaker' teams and must be trusted to fill in when Ashley Cole is injured, even for the big games. I don't see the point in even having a promising young English left back in the ranks if we are going to continue playing players out of position over him.

The Future

The future seems promising. Lets not forget that Cahill and David Luiz are at excellent ages to play for a number of years, and Ryan Bertrand and Sam Hutchinson are still young.

I previously had big hopes for Patrick Van Aanholt but his career has seemingly stalled over the last 12 months unfortunately. Jeffrey Bruma however has reportedly blossomed from gaining first team football, and certainly has the ability. With a strong contingent of centre backs the club may decide to allow Bruma another season to develop away from the club.

Nathaniel Chalobah and Nathan Ake are both tipped for stardom, and I have been impressed with what I have seen from both so far. However a route into the first team squad is expected to be at least 1-2 more seasons away, although their promise is encouraging.

Departures

Paulo Ferreira is a must, simiarly for the reasons of despatching Hilario. When used so little I don't see the point in him wasting both wages and a non-homegrown spot in the team.

I would also allow Jose Bosingwa to leave. Ivanvoic is no doubt first choice full back now, and Bosingwa is in my opnion a player who can have a resale value as the club needs to recoup some money to fund any summer outlay on players, albeit likely £4-5m maximum.

Arrivals

If Ferreira and Bosingwa were both to leave it would be natural to assume a new right back would be a requirement. I would however only look at buying a right back if Sam Hutchinson isn't capable of stepping up to automatic deputy to Ivanovic. If his fitness has been proved then I see no reason why we can't place trust in him as second choice, just as we should with Ryan Bertrand in the left back position. If Ivanovic is going to be a permanent fixture at right back then we may need to bolster for a fourth centre half. However again with Bruma performing well out on loan, it may be the opportunity to bring him back and give him a decent number of games in the first team.

There is no question that there are more important areas of the squad to strengthen, and if we are ever going to place some trust in our youngsters, this is the perfect opportunity. We have players like Bruma, Bertrand and Hutchinson who have the potential to step up IF given the opportunity to. And now more than ever is the perfect chance whilst experienced players such as Terry and Cole are still at the club to help these players.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well written.

I believe Cole is an immediate problem that needs addressing. Was dormant last night, very, very quiet. That's been a common trait this season, not that you can blame the lad.. I think out of all the squad he's played more games in the last 3-4 seasons and it's clearly taken its toll. Whereas on the right you had Bosingwa & Ivanovic rotating often, you don't have that on the left. Even if we buy a new LB, Cole needs to be given more bench, less games. It's in the best interest for the club and even himself. I'm amazed he still playing today and hasn't burnt out.

Well written.

I believe Cole is an immediate problem that needs addressing. Was dormant last night, very, very quiet. That's been a common trait this season, not that you can blame the lad.. I think out of all the squad he's played more games in the last 3-4 seasons and it's clearly taken its toll. Whereas on the right you had Bosingwa & Ivanovic rotating often, you don't have that on the left. Even if we buy a new LB, Cole needs to be given more bench, less games. It's in the best interest for the club and even himself. I'm amazed he still playing today and hasn't burnt out.

Thanks. Agreed, and I believe it is why we always worry about Ashley Cole picking up a serious injury because no-one has ever been given the opportunity to deputise for him when he is fit so how are they expected to be ready to step in if Cole is injured. Even when we had Zhirkov he only played if Cole was injured!

I think similarly to Terry, Ashley Cole still has at least a couple more years at the top, if given sufficient rest during the season.

Ryan Bertrand must be given chances next season even if in lesser premier league games and the domestic cups. If this were to happen and we benefit from a fresher Ashley Cole and develop Bertrand then I don't see the need to sign a left back...yet. This summer our attacking options need rejuvenating and that may cost a sizeable sum.

You left out Tomas Kalas. Dude is class!!

I did think about him whilst writing this post actually...then completely forgot to include him! Has anybody been tracking his progress at Vitesse? Is he getting many games?

I did think about him whilst writing this post actually...then completely forgot to include him! Has anybody been tracking his progress at Vitesse? Is he getting many games?

Starting every game and beasting. Not just their best defender, but probably their best player this season.

Good report again.

Agreed with the Ferreira and Bosingwa departs.

Although I like Ferreira as a character...he could stay at Chelsea and be some sort of assistant. He was not a top player, but his experience and assistant would not be bad for Chelsea.

Plus you can always use a "translator" :D

Ashley if we get a good offer he must be sold!

If not, then get a new LB or give Ryan more chances as you stated.

And for RB I still want Cesar Azpilicueta from Marseille. :blue scalf:

Starting every game and beasting. Not just their best defender, but probably their best player this season.

Well not their best player, that's Bony, but certainly one of the best defenders in the competition this season. He is probably the biggest defensive talent in the Eredivisie and puts in impressive performances for a player of his age.

Well that's your opinion cause I always rated Philip Lahm who can play as RB or LB as one of the best in Europe during that time.

Lahm was 21 at the time, not exactly the usual peak age of a fullback. Besides, as I said, Paulo was ONE of the best RBs in Europe imo.

Lahm was 21 at the time, not exactly the usual peak age of a fullback. Besides, as I said, Paulo was ONE of the best RBs in Europe imo.

Yeah he was young, but still was a top dog, like when A. Cole was kicking ass at such a young age.

And as far as Paulo I never see it, but if that's your opinion, it's your opinion.