Torres - Defending the Indefensible?

BlueLion.

And I completly disagree with that, and this is not a personal attack on you but I think that mentality is the reason why we are in these difficult times. So what I'm interperetating from this post is that for some reason Drogba has this god given right to be Chelsea's main striker, and that it should acceptable for him to moan and complain when someone has the audacity to not start him every game? Even though in the last 15 months he has been below average bar one or two games? Where it seems his first touch and ability have been going down and don't seem to be returning? I'm sorry, but no player is bigger then the club and these levels of sentimental feelings from some fans has in my opinion, played a part to a player power problem where certain players at the club think that Chelsea is all about them. When you hear Lampard constantly talking about not dropping the old guard you can't help but feel that is the case.

And it seems to be that your saying that Drogba is a crybaby and emotionally weak. I'm mean he has taken the wrong attitude in the first place by demanding a 2 year deal even though he is nearly 34 and clearly is on the decline. To me I have a feeling he simply wants to be garunteed that he will have a large wage for at least 2 years. But if he really thinks he deserves it then surely he would be playing his heart. Giving world class performances or at the least trying his hardest. To me half the time he can't be bothered and just wants to be on the pitch for the sake of it. But either way IMO opinion his atitutde has been poor on the contract issue. The best way, if he really playes with his heart on his sleeve, would be to do this. Realise that the club needs to begin a new era, realises he is 34 and on the decline and that the club have set a new policy on players over 30 and new contracts (one year extentions). But he will except the one year extention (in my opinion he and a couple of players over 30 should not be even considered a one year contract extenttion) and play his gut out to show he still has value. And that he will keep fighting for a one year extention every season until its not physically possible.

However to me, it seems like he wants to bee sure he will still have the same wages for two more years, realises he won't get it and now could not give a shit about performances anymore. Frankley if that is the case, and with the club in the problems it faces, he and others like him should go. I'm sorry but the sentiment and mentalility you have shown would be a complete disaster for the club. Maybe I might be too harsh on Drogba. But his attitude bar some occasions as left me disappointed. Yet I think this happening with other Chelsea greats such as Lampard and Malouda.

I can understand your point, but you have to understand where I'm coming from. By the club making it a rule not to sign players over 30 on more then a 1 year extension is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Players like Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cole and Essien are either over 30, or near it. They are the back bone of our squad and frankly, without them we would be in a worse place then we are now.

So by agreeing with the club, you wouldn't have signed a player over 30 if he wasn't performing? Right?? OK now lets rewind to 08-09. Drogba 30, has without a doubt the worst start to a season of his carrier. Injured, falling out with the manager and becoming unsettled. He plays a handful of games off the bench and gets suspended in his first game back. Then gets injured again and isn't seen for a while. It's now January 09 and he has only scored 3 goals so far. What do you do? Inter wanted him, Real wanted him and so did Arsenal. Should we let him go? He's over 30!! If you had done that you would have pretty much sold the best player from the rest of the 08-09 till the start of the 10-11 season scoring nearly 60 goals in that time including the winner vs Arsenal in the Fa Cup Semi Final The winner Vs Everton in the Final and our highest goal scorer in the 09-10 season.

I understand this is all in the past and that your saying he's not the same, but if the club are to stick by this rule and not be able to make an exception for a certain player then we are pretty much screwed. We need these guys at the club just as much as United need Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and and up until recently, Neville.

With 11 young blokes on the pitch we will become nothing but another Arsenal. We need leaders and experience to lead the way and give the young guys confidence and support.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drogba has done a great deal for this club but he has also thrown his toys out of the pram quite a few number of times and has done some embarrassing things in the Chels shirt.

"not being offered the contract you deserve and being told your free to look elsewhere" Sorry but I don't agree with this at all!! He doesn't deserve a two year contract! He is 33 years old for crying out loud and has lost so much pace and strength. There is absolutely no way in hell imo he deserves a two year contract.

And I completly disagree with that, and this is not a personal attack on you but I think that mentality is the reason why we are in these difficult times. So what I'm interperetating from this post is that for some reason Drogba has this god given right to be Chelsea's main striker, and that it should acceptable for him to moan and complain when someone has the audacity to not start him every game? Even though in the last 15 months he has been below average bar one or two games? Where it seems his first touch and ability have been going down and don't seem to be returning? I'm sorry, but no player is bigger then the club and these levels of sentimental feelings from some fans has in my opinion, played a part to a player power problem where certain players at the club think that Chelsea is all about them. When you hear Lampard constantly talking about not dropping the old guard you can't help but feel that is the case.

And it seems to be that your saying that Drogba is a crybaby and emotionally weak. I'm mean he has taken the wrong attitude in the first place by demanding a 2 year deal even though he is nearly 34 and clearly is on the decline. To me I have a feeling he simply wants to be garunteed that he will have a large wage for at least 2 years. But if he really thinks he deserves it then surely he would be playing his heart. Giving world class performances or at the least trying his hardest. To me half the time he can't be bothered and just wants to be on the pitch for the sake of it. But either way IMO opinion his atitutde has been poor on the contract issue. The best way, if he really playes with his heart on his sleeve, would be to do this. Realise that the club needs to begin a new era, realises he is 34 and on the decline and that the club have set a new policy on players over 30 and new contracts (one year extentions). But he will except the one year extention (in my opinion he and a couple of players over 30 should not be even considered a one year contract extenttion) and play his gut out to show he still has value. And that he will keep fighting for a one year extention every season until its not physically possible.

However to me, it seems like he wants to bee sure he will still have the same wages for two more years, realises he won't get it and now could not give a shit about performances anymore. Frankley if that is the case, and with the club in the problems it faces, he and others like him should go. I'm sorry but the sentiment and mentalility you have shown would be a complete disaster for the club. Maybe I might be too harsh on Drogba. But his attitude bar some occasions as left me disappointed. Yet I think this happening with other Chelsea greats such as Lampard and Malouda.

Sam, the only right he has is the one his own performances have given. If you can name one striker in our current team who can do a better job than him for sure, and that person has the stats to back him up , then that person should very well be the one to relegate Drogba to the bench.

If I remember correctly, Drogba finished last season much stronger than Torres did. Pre-season provided no indication of who would be a better choice, despite the general agreement that the younger, fitter Torres should take over. At the start of the season Fernando showed more promise and even had the goals to back him up. But what followed was a string of terrible performances, during which time the ageing Drogba regained his fitness and was able to put in better shifts in front of goal.

So at the moment there is no basis for Drogba to go the bench when his replacements are either : A) Inexperienced to lead the line like Sturridge, Lukaku or B) Can't score like Torres. This means that without a suitable replacement the manager will be forced to call on his services again. And Drogba knows this, and this is probably why the contract talks are stalling, and the striker is lacking motivation. On the one hand, the club is trying to act tough by saying that it won't be held for ransom, and on the other it is still pleading with Didier to salvage their season.

What's the solution?

1. Either the club should stand firm and make their stance clear by telling Drogba they no longer need him. That way things become more simple, and AVB only has to look for his replacement. The con is that we might well be without a goal-scoring CF till that replacement (if there is one) arrives.

2. They hand Drogba the contract he feels he deserves and let him at least serve the club with more interest.

The Bottom-line IS:

We can all stop worrying about Drogba, if Torres can give us a reason not to. If he was in the good form that he should have been in, none of these pointless debates would be necessary.

Sam, the only right he has is the one his own performances have given. If you can name one striker in our current team who can do a better job than him for sure, and that person has the stats to back him up , then that person should very well be the one to relegate Drogba to the bench.

If I remember correctly, Drogba finished last season much stronger than Torres did. Pre-season provided no indication of who would be a better choice, despite the general agreement that the younger, fitter Torres should take over. At the start of the season Fernando showed more promise and even had the goals to back him up. But what followed was a string of terrible performances, during which time the ageing Drogba regained his fitness and was able to put in better shifts in front of goal.

So at the moment there is no basis for Drogba to go the bench when his replacements are either : A) Inexperienced to lead the line like Sturridge, Lukaku or B) Can't score like Torres. This means that without a suitable replacement the manager will be forced to call on his services again. And Drogba knows this, and this is probably why the contract talks are stalling, and the striker is lacking motivation. On the one hand, the club is trying to act tough by saying that it won't be held for ransom, and on the other it is still pleading with Didier to salvage their season.

What's the solution?

1. Either the club should stand firm and make their stance clear by telling Drogba they no longer need him. That way things become more simple, and AVB only has to look for his replacement. The con is that we might well be without a goal-scoring CF till that replacement (if there is one) arrives.

2. They hand Drogba the contract he feels he deserves and let him at least serve the club with more interest.

The Bottom-line IS:

We can all stop worrying about Drogba, if Torres can give us a reason not to. If he was in the good form that he should have been in, none of these pointless debates would be necessary.

But thats the thing, Drogba i not ging to be our savior. There has only been one game where he realy has made an impact this season. Lets cut the crap about past seasons. What about now? We have one striker who has no confidence left and is a misrable wreck. One that is past it and cares moreabout which club will offer him a big paycheck. And two who are inexprianced as the lone striker, But if we spend a lot of money on another striker, they will flop becuase the rest f the team is so shit and uncreative.

Don't you get it? The club has basially screwed itself up. And Drogba will not give us much help I'm sorry. He is pst it. Some people needd to let go. We have much more presing concerns then a past it player crying that he is not getting a 2 year contract despite being 34. Bt we must blame the club for not getting rid of the Lampard-Drogba system, which in my opinion is the biggest problem we face.

I can understand your point, but you have to understand where I'm coming from. By the club making it a rule not to sign players over 30 on more then a 1 year extension is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Players like Drogba, Lampard, Terry, Cole and Essien are either over 30, or near it. They are the back bone of our squad and frankly, without them we would be in a worse place then we are now.

So by agreeing with the club, you wouldn't have signed a player over 30 if he wasn't performing? Right?? OK now lets rewind to 08-09. Drogba 30, has without a doubt the worst start to a season of his carrier. Injured, falling out with the manager and becoming unsettled. He plays a handful of games off the bench and gets suspended in his first game back. Then gets injured again and isn't seen for a while. It's now January 09 and he has only scored 3 goals so far. What do you do? Inter wanted him, Real wanted him and so did Arsenal. Should we let him go? He's over 30!! If you had done that you would have pretty much sold the best player from the rest of the 08-09 till the start of the 10-11 season scoring nearly 60 goals in that time including the winner vs Arsenal in the Fa Cup Semi Final The winner Vs Everton in the Final and our highest goal scorer in the 09-10 season.

I understand this is all in the past and that your saying he's not the same, but if the club are to stick by this rule and not be able to make an exception for a certain player then we are pretty much screwed. We need these guys at the club just as much as United need Giggs, Scholes, Ferdinand and and up until recently, Neville.

With 11 young blokes on the pitch we will become nothing but another Arsenal. We need leaders and experience to lead the way and give the young guys confidence and support.

To be honest, I think most of the so calld leaders and experienced players tink they are the club and above them. People like Tery, Lampard and Drogba will not want to teach players that want to replace them, becuase they think that the club is them. And that should not be a situation that should ever be allowed in a football club.

But thats the thing, Drogba i not ging to be our savior. There has only been one game where he realy has made an impact this season. Lets cut the crap about past seasons. What about now? We have one striker who has no confidence left and is a misrable wreck. One that is past it and cares moreabout which club will offer him a big paycheck. And two who are inexprianced as the lone striker, But if we spend a lot of money on another striker, they will flop becuase the rest f the team is so shit and uncreative.

Don't you get it? The club has basially screwed itself up. And Drogba will not give us much help I'm sorry. He is pst it. Some people needd to let go. We have much more presing concerns then a past it player crying that he is not getting a 2 year contract despite being 34. Bt we must blame the club for not getting rid of the Lampard-Drogba system, which in my opinion is the biggest problem we face.

That, I do agree with. We have become too dependent on the big man, but like I said, there are only few ways to resolve it from hereon-out...

I take it you want to add more creativity to the squad, and this will help Torres rediscover his good form and also make it easier for other strikers who might join us.. While that may or may not solve the Torres conundrum, I agree it is a necessary step.

That, I do agree with. We have become too dependent on the big man, but like I said, there are only few ways to resolve it from hereon-out...

I take it you want to add more creativity to the squad, and this will help Torres rediscover his good form and also make it easier for other strikers who might join us.. While that may or may not solve the Torres conundrum, it is a necessary step.

What I should have added that you may have missed becuase I edited that post much later on waas that the clun are being punshied for not trying to scrape away the Drogba-Lampard centric tactics.

Torres. The man, the myth, the legend.

Everytime I see him in a Chelsea shirt I cry a little inside. Not because I don't like him, but because of what could of been. This is the man who scored the fastest 50 goals in Liverpool history. Liverpool hatred aside, they've undeniable had wonderful talents in the past like Dalglish and Rush, and Torres struck 50 goals quicker than any of them. This is the man who scored the winning goal in the final in Euro 2008, despite being a metre behind Philip Lahm, he caught up to the ball first. His pace was stunning. His finishing was immaculate. His desire to win was impeccable.

Looking back at his Liverpool goals, he created something out of nothing, and he was a joy to watch. He became a Kop hero. He was voted their 50th all time greatest player for Liverpool. It's hard to move on from that but that's what separates the good from the best. The only problem was he had never won anything at club level. Being the athlete he is, always wanting to compete at the highest level and win trophies he can look back in 20 years and say "I was part of that", he expressed his desire to join us. It's an honour for someone like Torres, who pre-Chelsea was considered one of the best strikers in the world, to say he wants to leave the place where he made his name, the place where he became a hero, a legend, the place that is called (kl)Anfield, to join this club, a club which doesn't have the decorated history like Liverpool, nor their atmosphere, but a club that is ambitious and wants to sketch it's name into the history books of Football. He wanted to be a part of that.

Broken promises and empty lies at Liverpool was the final straw for Torres, and that inevitably sealed his high profile move to Chelsea. "A club where I can win trophies", said Torres. He was excited. The fans were Jubilant. The board was exhilarated. We have just signed Torres, a man we can count on for seasons to come, the man to lead us to glory, and with good reason. Liverpool fans acted vindictively, burning Torres shirts and turning against their hero. "Judas", they said. In their eyes, Torres was corrupt, immoral and sacrilegious. Without a doubt, Torres was hurt. Who wouldn't be? He spent 4 years there. The same people who idolised him are now turning against him. Torres felt like it was him against the world. Having hundreds and thousands of fans against you is not an ideal situation to be in. What's done is done. Torres is now a Chelsea player and it seemed that even God himself was against Torres, because Chelsea's next opponents were Liverpool at the Bridge.

He started the game when he shouldn't have started. Carlo plunged Torres into the starting line-up against his friends that he was training with the week before, the club where his heart is at, whilst playing with his new friends that he had known for 3 days. He shouldn't have started and I still believe till now that his career at Chelsea could of been different if he had not started that match against Liverpool. Carlo was always going to lose this battle, it was like David and Goliath, except Carlo was Goliath. He was going to lose. Everyone wanted Torres to play, and if Carlo didn't play him then he would of been questioned. If he played Torres and Chelsea lost, the blame goes on him for picking Torres so quickly against the same club he was at the week before.

Torres' performance was appalling. Disastrous. Languid. He clearly didn't want to face Liverpool. He was forced to. The mammoth 50 million pound sign was always with him. This destroyed him. This set the tone for his Chelsea career. Despite having a few up's, his Chelsea career has been all down. What happened? This is the guy who was ruthless and unforgiving when he faced defenders. Fans, pundits and managers all have divided opinions on Torres. "Form is temporary, Class is permanent". "We'll never see the Torres of old". What does the future hold for Torres?

One year on, we still await the real arrival, of El nino.

Edit: That took a hell of a long time lol.

Torres. The man, the myth, the legend.

Everytime I see him in a Chelsea I cry a little inside. Not because I don't like him, but because of what could of been. This is the man who scored the fastest 50 goals in Liverpool history. Liverpool hatred aside, they've undeniable had wonderful talents in the past like Dalglish and Rush, and Torres struck 50 goals quicker than any of them. This is the man who scored the winning goal in the final in Euro 2008, despite being a metre behind Philip Lahm, he caught up to the ball first. His pace was stunning. His finishing was immaculate. His desire to win was impeccable.

Looking back at his Liverpool goals, he created something out of nothing, and he was a joy to watch. He became a Kop hero. He was voted their 50th all time greatest player for Liverpool. It's hard to move on from that but that's what separates the good from the best. The only problem was he had never won anything at club level. Being the athlete he is, always wanting to compete at the highest level and win trophies he can look back in 20 years and say "I was part of that", he expressed his desire to join us. It's an honour for someone like Torres, who pre-Chelsea was considered one of the best strikers in the world, to say he wants to leave the place where he made his name, the place where he became a hero, a legend, the place that is called (kl)Anfield, to join this club, a club which doesn't have the decorated history like Liverpool, nor their atmosphere, but a club that is ambitious and wants to sketch it's name into the history books of Football. He wanted to be a part of that.

Broken promises and empty lies at Liverpool was the final straw for Torres, and that inevitably sealed his high profile move to Chelsea. "A club where I can win trophies", said Torres. He was excited. The fans were Jubilant. The board was exhilarated. We have just signed Torres, a man we can count on for seasons to come, the man to lead us to glory, and with good reason. Liverpool fans acted vindictively, burning Torres shirts and turning against their hero. "Judas", they said. In their eyes, Torres was corrupt, immoral and sacrilegious. Without a doubt, Torres was hurt. Who wouldn't be? He spent 4 years there. The same people who idolised him are now turning against him. Torres felt like it was him against the world. Having hundreds and thousands of fans against you is not an ideal situation to be in. What's done is done. Torres is now a Chelsea player and it seemed that even God himself was against Torres, because Chelsea's next opponents were Liverpool at the Bridge.

He started the game when he shouldn't have started. Carlo plunged Torres into the starting line-up against his friends that he was training with the week before, the club where his heart is at, whilst playing with his new friends that he had known for 3 days. He shouldn't have started and I still believe till now that his career at Chelsea could of been different if he had not started that match against Liverpool. Carlo was always going to lose this battle, it was like David and Goliath, except Carlo was Goliath. He was going to lose. Everyone wanted Torres to play, and if Carlo didn't play him then he would of been questioned. If he played Torres and Chelsea lost, the blame goes on him for picking Torres so quickly against the same club he was at the week before.

Torres' performance was appalling. Disastrous. Languid. He clearly didn't want to face Liverpool. He was forced to. The mammoth 50 million pound sign was always with him. This destroyed him. This set the tone for his Chelsea career. Despite having a few up's, his Chelsea career has been all down. What happened? This is the guy who was ruthless and unforgiving when he faced defenders. Fans, pundits and managers all have divided opinions on Torres. "Form is temporary, Class is permanent". "We'll never see the Torres of old". What does the future hold for Torres?

One year on, we still await the real arrival, of El nino.

Edit: That took a hell of a long time lol.

You work for a Newspaper? You should do! Give me 10% of your wages weekly for suggesting the idea too! =)

Hes got till the end of this season to start scoring goals. Give him a partner and play 4-4-2. Maybe it works out better, Lampard drogba malouda kalou and other deadweights OUT. Legends they are . we need to be saying next seasons, " Drogba and lampard WERE legendary" at Chelsea.

It might help if these big figures and ego trippers are not around for Torres to perform.

(Torres excuses LOL)