New Midfield/Defence

Shane

With the transfer window open, and Essien back, I expect us leaking goals will stop. I really think we can make a late run for the title, aswell as be contenders for the Champions League. Right now, We're a team in transition. We have a team that alot of people seem to forget, still need time to gel. Luiz, Romeu, Mata, Torres, Mereleies and even Sturridge have never played regular football together until September. With the addition of Gary Cahill, and maybe a new right back, and our defence will be sorted imo. Luiz will mature, and I think as simple as it sounds that the better his English gets, the more he'll look comfortable in the centre back slot.

I hope that AVB leaves Romeu in the holding role, and has Essien either side. It works both ways, we'd have Essien driving forward in attack, and also doing what he does best in breaking up attacks. With Romeu in the middle, leaving Essien on one side will also stop opposing wing backs from getting so far forward, something Guus Hiddink used Essien when he put him on the right hand side against Barcelona.

And I think its evident to see that Fernando Torres is back to his old self. Back in March, he looked shy, lost and a shawdow of his former self. Now, he's confident, beating players, he's just been desperatly unlucky. He'll finish the season strongly.

If these things click in together, and we get the balance right between attack and defence, We can challenge for both Domestic and European honours. People make alot out of Sunderland deserved a point today, they probably did, But Sunderland have won 4 out of their last 5 before today, including beating Man City.

Teams are finally learning to play against Man City, they'll struggle this month without Yaya Toure and Kompany, and i can see them dropping more points. United have the worst midfield in the top 6, and will struggle when they go away from home. Spurs have a really tough run of games now that could really damage their title challenge. 8 points at this stage is nothing.

Bring on Norwich!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not as easy as you put it, Yes ManUre have the worst Midfield of the top 6 but we have the worst Defense. Our Defense needs a Ton of work and honestly I don't think Cahill will do much to help, Our CB's (especially Luiz) can be abysmal at times which makes me wonder why did we get Cahill when we could have gotten a high quality CB. Premierships are built on solid defenses and ours sucks ATM.

Also Essien can make a difference for sure, let's

Hope he returns somewhere close to his best, I really think Mata or a new player needs to be moved into the midfield as an attacking midfielder. Torres looked really good but as long as there's not enough quality service Torres still won't score, eg Ramires has 2 chances to give Torres a good through ball and he was in at goal but Ramires's technique is Mediocre and as such his passes missed the mark and again Torres was left frustrated at the lack of quality service. We need to really solidify our defense and get an attacking player

-----Ivan----Cahill----Terry----Cole

----------Essien--------Romeu------

-------------------Mata--------------

Sturridge--------Torres-------Hazard--

If our defense becomes solid (doubt it) and AVB brings in a winger or Creative midfielder than we can start winning games more comfortably and start stringing wins together and MAYBE have a late push for the title but I think we should be aiming to get ahead of spurs for that 3rd spot

We don't need a right-back as soon as Ivanovic returns.

What we need is either a winger or a central midfielder. Then Juan Mata is no longer a spare part, and we can either play him as a genuine winger, or alternatively play him in his true position as an attacking midfield player.

If Romeu continues to be our first choice holding midfielder, I think Essien should start playing as a right back. I honestly don't want to see both Romeu and Essien in the midfield because not only are we leaking goals, but we are also lacking goals at the moment, and it really wouldn't help if those two played together.

Ivanovic back please, Bosingwa is just...unique :D

Good points there Shane, but just don't get too excited. We have the quality within the team to do it. We have a good coach and we have players willing to put their body on the line. Let's see what happens.

If Romeu continues to be our first choice holding midfielder, I think Essien should start playing as a right back. I honestly don't want to see both Romeu and Essien in the midfield because not only are we leaking goals, but we are also lacking goals at the moment, and it really wouldn't help if those two played together.

Essien should not play RB, and him and Romeu can easily play together as long as Mata or another player is used as an CAM. That's where the creativity would be in our Midfield. Seeing as how Essien and Romeu are both solid DM's it would allow Mata to play very high up while our midfield would still be pretty solid with Essien and Romeu

We have the dynamism of Ramires and Essien, the defensive steel of Oriol and Mikel, the versatility of Meireles, and Lampard in the box-to-box role. We have plenty of central options. Now we need to focus on wide players and playmakers. One needs to come now, and one in the summer. A winger is the greater priority at present, because then we can see Mata in the CAM role. In the meantime, against Norwich, I'd like to see Malouda and Sturridge on the wings, flanking Torres, Mata in the hole and Ramires and Oriol behind him.

what about bosingwa as a right winger???

It would be catastrophic. He can't cross to save his life and he isn't able to beat his opponent. Which is really anoying for a winger. The best position for him at the moment, it's the righ side of the bench.

It would be catastrophic. He can't cross to save his life and he isn't able to beat his opponent. Which is really anoying for a winger. The best position for him at the moment, it's the righ side of the bench.

His best position is on a seat on a plane back to Portugal

the defensive steel of Oriol and Mikel,

I don't agree with this point, for me Oriol and Mikel are really different.

Romeu plays quicker and more vertical than Mikel, but really can't afford Mikel's defensive contribution ; Romeu keeps beeing naive in 1vs1, in the air, in his tackles, in his will to anticipate the pass everytime (it's what he was told at Barcelona, but he's not Stan Petrov and even him can miss completely his interception). Romeu covers not like Mikel can, by his will to go forward, he leaves the defense alone sometimes.

The answers to many problems we have at the moment, the transition phasis by example, is allowed by Mikel's return in form. Villas Boas made his biggest error so far in wanting to change Mikel's role, right at the start of the pre-season, Mikel is the cornerstone allowing the others (full backs, Lampard and Essien) to shine.

Villas Boas was too ambitious in thinking his defensive base and team balance main element could change his way of playing, and we all know what happens in Mikel's personal life for months. Mikel has struggled because of his new role, because of his personal problems and because of injuries... in the same time Chelsea struggled to have a solid and coherent back when we lost the ball.

Everyone has to win something with Mikel's return: biggest offensive license for players around, better team balance and coherence, and by than, better results

I want to use this thread to open a debate about Essien.

If he does recapture his best days, what position (thus, for who) do you all think he should play? We all know he's a renowned DM, but he's also got the capabilities to play ahead of Romeu. This means he might be battling Ramires for his position. I can never envision starting a game with Romeu - Ramires - Essien, it's simply too negative, despite Essien's attacking instincts.

If it were me, I'd replace him for Ramires. I like Romeu in the holding role, and I think it's unfair to take it away from him, Essien's got better qualities than Ramires, in my opinion of course.