This summer will shape the next few years

Tomo

If we cast our mind back to the summer of 2004 we did start the summer with a lot of ageing players in the squad. Desailly, Hasselbaink, Melchiot, Petit, Stanic, Gronkjear, Zenden, Sullivan and Ambrosio.They all left at that summer and were replaced by young, hungry talents like Carvalho, Drogba, Ferreira, Tiago, Kezman, Robben and Cech.

All of a sudden we had a hungry young driven squad with only Claude Makele and Carlo Cudicini over the age of 30.

That window alone shaped us up for success in the 6 years following which got us 7 domestic trophy's and the 2 transfer window's of 2012 and how we spend and sell is going to be vital for our future success aswell IMO, even more so with it being one of the last windows before FFP restrictions are fully in force.

Like that summer we need a similar clearout of the ageing players no matter how good they have been in the past. Who i believe needs to be gone by the end of August. Aswell as already gone Anelka and nearly gone Alex.

Hilario - Never plays and takes valuble space for a over 21 foreign player.

Ferreira - I appreciate his service to the club but he is a passenger these days and we cant keep carrying them forever.

Bosingwa - Enough said.

Malouda - Just isnt needed anymore.

Lampard - IF he isn't prepared to accept a lesser role and toe in line with the new era. No one is bigger than the club.

Kalou - I appreciate his efforts but its time for both parties to move on.

Drogba - Torres or any forward will never settle with Drogba breathing down their necks, Drogs is a legend but at 34 we arent going to get that much out of him now.

AVB will need to get it right in terms of who to bring in aswell, hopefully McEachran will come back from Swansea like a new signing and we sign the right players that fit into his system.

This time tho we need to follow on every summer and make a subtle change or 2 to the playing staff every summer so we don't get into the problem of stagnating in another 6 years time.

To cut a long story short the next 2 window's will shape us up for years to come, if we go into our first match in September with Kalou-Drogba-Malouda as our front 3 then panic :lol:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Comparing 2004 to 2012 is wrong because back then we needed to build a new team from the bottom, and the money was more freely to spend.

A major restructuring like that happen at the beginning of a major take over. We saw it as well with Manchester City.

But from here on both teams will play it less due to the Uefa rules.

City in order to buy needs to sell. If Chelsea buys two this transfer window then that will make sense since we are letting go of 2 players.

Selling 5 or 6 players in one transfer and trying to buy that same amount is very hard. I believe that was the major downfall of Carlo. He let so many player go, that he had a bench full of youngster.

I'm not convinced we'll spend big. I think we'll target some, we'll sign 1 or 2. And that'll be that.

Completly agree with u.... We would keep waiting for the "right player" .... I would really not mind that provided we forget about winning the league/cups (have realistic goals for 2 seasons) and concentrate on our youth getting more and more gametime and experience.

Completly agree with u.... We would keep waiting for the "right player" .... I would really not mind that provided we forget about winning the league/cups (have realistic goals for 2 seasons) and concentrate on our youth getting more and more gametime and experience.

We simply don't have the resources to do a complete overhaul, nor would it be approved by the board. I firmly believe that. We use so much of Abramovich's money in the last 9years, that I just don't see us having the overhaul everyone's expecting us to havee.

We simply don't have the resources to do a complete overhaul, nor would it be approved by the board. I firmly believe that. We use so much of Abramovich's money in the last 9years, that I just don't see us having the overhaul everyone's expecting us to havee.

Exactly .... Thats why i would love to use the resources that we have in hand and i think we have some real good talent with us. It is just a matter of using them appropiately. Roman has spend a lot, i think it is time that we repay him back and be self sufficent.

Won't be overhaul but dead weight and 1 or 2 BIG names will leave. Kalou drogba bosingwa out!! I'm calling it. Then in will be apicuelta(however you spell his name.) kdb and a "promoted youngster" which will hardly see the field. (prob Josh). And one more signing that will spoil the hinder the development of that promoted youngster, Josh. Unfortunately happened with Carlo and prob will happen again.

Won't be overhaul but dead weight and 1 or 2 BIG names will leave. Kalou drogba bosingwa out!! I'm calling it. Then in will be apicuelta(however you spell his name.) kdb and a "promoted youngster" which will hardly see the field. (prob Josh). And one more signing that will hinder the development of that promoted youngster, Josh. Unfortunately happened with Carlo and prob will happen again.