Learning From Success, Not Mistakes.

Term-X

We say that.. Then when a signing like Meireles comes through, everyone starts shouting £40million Modric.

There's nothing wrong with 'big money signings', if they're well thought out (age + form + weakness + managerial acceptance is considered).

Don't care who it is, 35m should be the highest we go for now.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We say that.. Then when a signing like Meireles comes through, everyone starts shouting £40million Modric.

There's nothing wrong with 'big money signings', if they're well thought out (age + form + weakness + managerial acceptance is considered).

uhm.. true ... :P

I myself, was referring to the justification of the sheva/torres deals.. age, reputation, motivation wise etc. The fact we replicated the same thing again, only worse. learning nothing from the first deal. When big money signings are both necessary & thought out it's entirely different, ala Modric.

When big money signings are both necessary & thought out it's entirely different, ala Modric.

Much agreed, that's the point I was emphasising to bluephoenix.

We can say though, the Torres signing didn't influence the fees the club was prepared to spend, because we did try £40million bids for Modric & Pastore.

Good points but here's my take on some of these aspects:

The Jose & AVB appointments were both on an entirely different scale (high off the successes of European glory and youth). Yet both managers arrived when ‘change’ was on the agenda. Grant, Scolari, Hiddink and even Carlo were here to prolong the success of ‘Jose’s untouchables’. AVB as one of the most highly rated young managers in the game, was appointed to implement an entire new football philosophy. Once the deadwood clear out, we will see this come into fruition, which may well replicate the cycle. This time, post-AVB appointments prolonging the success of 'his' formula/untouchables, success permitting.

Good point in hindsight but when Scolari came we were meant to be the new brazil. Remember that Chris Cohen song on Scolari ROFL.

Signing a promising young goalkeeper, the most expensive keeper in the clubs history, even with the incredible Carlo Cudicini at the helm. It would have seemed to be a case of fixing something that wasn't broken. A pre-season injury to Cudicini allowed Jose' to promote Cech, ever since then he's been our number one. 7 years later, We sign Thibaut Courtois for a similar fee. Leading to our head goalkeeper coach confirming his and the clubs concern over Cech's long term future. This is one of many examples of how the club have made a conscious effort to replicate successful chain of events, benefiting the club in the long term.

Cech today isn't really as potent as Cudicini was back when we signed him in 2004. Courtios is by no means a signing borne out of a yearning to replicate our cycle under Mourinho but one that is integral to healthy competition for the GK spot. Cech has made some costly mistakes this season for sure.

baffling transfer targets

Transfer targets? Vargas, Hazard, a potential raid to both La Masia and Madrid youth academies. And his signings give me no reason to doubt them. Meireles I'd admit I was skeptical, and perhaps we could've avoided it but it hasn't turned out too bad I guess. Undoubtedly we should've had a more thought out plan for alternatives if we failed though. Their are some times when our pursuit for some players go dry. i.e. Silva, Aguero. And hey I remember when I thought Hazard was more of a dream but wouldn't you know it we're apparently the "closest club".Granted some perplexing names have appeared at times but a lot of them aren't too be taken Seriously.

And like RZA said, spending 40 mill on a player isn't a problem if we think it out.

Good points but here's my take on some of these aspects: Good point in hindsight but when Scolari came we were meant to be the new brazil. Remember that Chris Cohen song on Scolari ROFL.

Cech today isn't really as potent as Cudicini was back when we signed him in 2004. Courtios is by no means a signing borne out of a yearning to replicate our cycle under Mourinho but one that is integral to healthy competition for the GK spot. Cech has made some costly mistakes this season for sure.

I was somewhat focusing on the AVB/Jose appointment similarities to delve deeper into Scolari.

Courtios has potential fees rising up to £13m, you don't spend that amount of money to merely keep Cech on his toes. It was a calculated move by the club, they learned from the previous cycle. That and the fact Christophe Lollichon (Goalkeeper coach) told Courtios that Cech's long term future at the club was in doubt. Either way, we should give the club the benefit of the doubt for this one.

Transfer targets? Vargas, Hazard, a potential raid to both La Masia and Madrid youth academies. And his signings give me no reason to doubt them. Meireles I'd admit I was skeptical, and perhaps we could've avoided it but it hasn't turned out too bad I guess. Undoubtedly we should've had a more thought out plan for alternatives if we failed though. Their are some times when our pursuit for some players go dry. i.e. Silva, Aguero. And hey I remember when I thought Hazard was more of a dream but wouldn't you know it we're apparently the "closest club".Granted some perplexing names have appeared at times but a lot of them aren't too be taken Seriously.

Replacing J. Cole (a semi-legend at the club) with an average 30 year old fringe player, when we should have been chasing a young prospect. It's no surprise he's a fringe player (yet again), this time in north london. Although I was speaking more in a 'general' sense. Have we ever been seriously/credibly linked with Hazard?, at least with Neymar, Santos confirmed a bid on their official site. Remember when the club attempted to sign Pienaar without consulting Carlo?, Smh.

I was somewhat focusing on the AVB/Jose appointment similarities to delve deeper into Scolari.

Replacing J. Cole (a semi-legend at the club) with an average 30 year old fringe player, when we should have been chasing a young prospect. It's no surprise he's a fringe player (yet again), this time in north london. Although I was speaking more in a 'general' sense. Have we ever been seriously/credibly linked with Hazard?, at least with Neymar, Santos confirmed a bid on their official site. Remember when the club attempted to sign Pienaar without consulting Carlo?, Smh.

Vandamme (Lille's academy director) said "Chelsea has been following him the closest." Pinenaar was a fail for sure, and Benayoun too but by going after the likes of Neymar, Hazard, Vargas it seems we are learning from our mistakes.

Vandamme (Lille's academy director) said "Chelsea has been following him the closest." Pinenaar was a fail for sure, and Benayoun too but by going after the likes of Neymar, Hazard, Vargas it seems we are learning from our mistakes.

Props, amongst all the fantasy lineups & youtube vids in the transfer thread I must have missed that. Certainly encouraging, unless it's a ploy using our name to encourage interest from other clubs.

We say that.. Then when a signing like Meireles comes through, everyone starts shouting £40million Modric. There's nothing wrong with 'big money signings', if they're well thought out (age + form + weakness + managerial acceptance is considered).

Because we needed a playmaker, and we still do technically! At this point, people start telling me that we have Mata.. well... yes we do! But he's a winger, not a playmaker!

Torres was a possible player out of a number of others we could have signed... Aguero, Benzema and Pato to name a few! But Torres tempted us more, and we got suckered into giving Liverpool £50m for him. Modric was the only player who was perfect for us in his position, and who declared his true desire to play for us! There was Nasri, Ganso or Moutinho in his position to go for, but none of them declared anything remotely as ambitious as Modric.

Because we needed a playmaker, and we still do technically! At this point, people start telling me that we have Mata.. well... yes we do! But he's a winger, not a playmaker!

Torres was a possible player out of a number of others we could have signed... Aguero, Benzema and Pato to name a few! But Torres tempted us more, and we got suckered into giving Liverpool £50m for him. Modric was the only player who was perfect for us in his position, and who declared his true desire to play for us! There was Nasri, Ganso or Moutinho in his position to go for, but none of them declared anything remotely as ambitious as Modric.

That is my point though.

It is silly to say "no big money signings" because these can pay off as well.

Thats a different story. Meireles is an avarage player. He is 28 years old, so you know he will not become a world class player. Ramires to other hand was less than 20m, and despite a slow start in his first season has become our most important man in the midfielder so far, and he is only 24 years old.

Thats the kind of players we need. Barcelona makes at least 2 big signings for season despite the impressive winning record. Thats also a problem with us. After a successful season we think changes arent needed. I bet if Drogba score some goals in the rest of this current season people will say he should stay for more years.

I also need Chelsea need to develop a kind of fan that i hungry for victories. Every big club is like that. I think its embarrassing how some fans are satisfied with a couple of mediocre results.

Thats a different story. Meireles is an avarage player. He is 28 years old, so you know he will not become a world class player. Ramires to other hand was less than 20m, and despite a slow start in his first season has become our most important man in the midfielder so far, and he is only 24 years old.

Thats the kind of players we need. Barcelona makes at least 2 big signings for season despite the impressive winning record. Thats also a problem with us. After a successful season we think changes arent needed. I bet if Drogba score some goals in the rest of this current season people will say he should stay for more years.

I also need Chelsea need to develop a kind of fan that i hungry for victories. Every big club is like that. I think its embarrassing how some fans are satisfied with a couple of mediocre results.

A year ago you said that Ramires is average...

Maybe you could learn how to get behind your team?

Haha I can't believe you said it :D

Are you actually crazy? Some people here wouldn't surprise me if they went and killed someone when we don't win.

Some people are satisfied with mediocre results knowing our current position and situation instead of expecting pure results no matter what.

Haha I can't believe you said it :D

Are you actually crazy? Some people here wouldn't surprise me if they went and killed someone when we don't win.

Some people are satisfied with mediocre results knowing our current position and situation instead of expecting pure results no matter what.

Yes. Some people want the "old Chelsea" back. You will see a lot of the called "old fans" saying such a thing. The "old Chelsea" was a trophyless club.