Jan Vertonghen

Hamilton

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only seen this on the Daily Fail

"One target already identified is Ajax centre back Jan Vertonghen. Chelsea scouts have watched the Belgium star several times this season, including in last week's Champions League defeat by Real Madrid in Amsterdam"

Great defender with good heading and passing skills, can easily play also in midfield, good shot and free kick. Good pace and stamina to..

A top 10 of goals last season

Nice goal on training

Some random movies

He is a CB but can also play as LB and DM , you can use him for 3 positions. At Belgian national team he moslty plays LB because of the huge competition in the center (Kompany , Vermaelen , Van Buyten and Lombaerts).

But at ajax he always plays at CB. He is pretty good and is captain of ajax and still only 24. But this season he has had some bad games aswell , but he was always very good in the Champions league games (I think he doens't have many motivation for eredivise games anymore , it's time for step higher)

But I heard he already has an oral agreement with tottenham.

Vertonghen is a great defender. Yet I don't see him playing for Cheslea.

He's rock solid at the back but not as good (yet?) as Kompany or Vermaelen. He also tend to make his usual mistakes every once in a while.

He has an amazing powerful left foot => scores a lot from freekicks. And a great header => scores a lot on corners.

It is said he should play in the midfield because playing as a defender hasn't enough challenge for him.

I reckon all the above is correct when you watch him playing at Ajax & in the Dutch League.

But I don't think he's good enough to play on top level every week though.

I think it's better for him to go to Tottenham first. If he proves he's worth the level... we can consider buying him.

If AvB signs him then i trust his opinion, the signings he has made so far have been brilliant for us, Raul, Mata and Romeu - Lukaku needs more time to get into our style but otherwise, brilliant judgement on players.

I would rather see Bruma or Rajko back.

Same here... only problem as far as Bruma is concerned, is that he doesn't want to return to us... he wants to stay at Hamburg

as for Vertonghen.. if he can be as well known as Vermaelen over here, he would be a massive aquisition.. I don't see him playing for us though sadly.

Shall we just buy the whole Belgium team?

With Courtois in goal & Lukaku as a striker, we only need a good defender (Vertonghen? although Kompany would be the dream!) and a winger (Hazard or Debruyne)!

=> this means a belgian international in every line of the pitch :)!

Isn't he the Ajax defender?, if he is then i've heard good things about him, but i've never seen him play or anything so i can't judge.

He's indeed the Ajax defender. Together with former Ajax captian Thomas Vermaelen he was part of the rock solid central back duo in seasons 2007-2008 & 2008-2009. When Vermaelen went to Arsenal, Vertonghen became the Ajax captain (also at very young age) and now he replaces Vermaelen as the leader on the pitch and has another solid young belgian central defender next to him=> Toby Alderweireld.

He's indeed the Ajax defender. Together with former Ajax captian Thomas Vermaelen he was part of the rock solid central back duo in seasons 2007-2008 & 2008-2009. When Vermaelen went to Arsenal, Vertonghen became the Ajax captain (also at very young age) and now he replaces Vermaelen as the leader on the pitch and has another solid young belgian central defender next to him=> Toby Alderweireld.

All i can say is something has happened to Belgium, 18-24 years ago, half of the belgium population gave birth to talented footballers. But still we are in need of a centre back and if he's as good as i've heard and not to expensive, then why the hell not.

All i can say is something has happened to Belgium, 18-24 years ago, half of the belgium population gave birth to talented footballers. But still we are in need of a centre back and if he's as good as i've heard and not to expensive, then why the hell not.

Unfortunately I'm 29 years old... So I'm not part of our golden generation B)!

But indeed we have a lot of talented players these days! And a lot more to follow, I can tell you that!! I will pass through names & info as soon as I discover someone new!

on topic: Vertonghen surely could be a more than decent CB for us! And like you said... we will probably not pay more than 10 Million!

The only two obstacles to bring him in are Tottenham and Arsenal! But I'm sure something can be arranged :chelsea2:!

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You