Mata wants Drogba to stay

CHOULO19

Juan Mata makes plea for Didier Drogba to be handed new deal

Juan Mata has urged Chelsea to agree terms with Didier Drogba over a new contract after the Ivory Coast striker led them into the last 16 of the Champions League.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-24018932-juan-mata-makes-plea-for-didier-drogba-to-be-handed-new-deal.do

Although I love Drogba, and despite his vintage performance vs Valencia, I still think he should leave in the summer. Because, although it is painful to see him playing for a different side, it is even more so to see him under-perform in a Chelsea shirt.

What do you think?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on his fitness, and his -(or moreso his agents) abilty to negotiate and accept a contract that will undoubtably mean less starts or earlier finishes.

If the fitness is there, if the attitude is right, its stupid to offload a player who is unplayable against on his day.

PS Mata when asked isnt going to say ''Nah, I think he should fuck off''

I still believe that this should be his last season.

To me its not that black or white. If he, his agent and the club can negotiate less playing time he should be here next year.

There are players that are older and still playing an integral role and scoring goals that are not as fit and robust as the big man, -Gonzalez, Inzaghi, Totti, Del Piero, and plenty in the past that have been prolific having hit mid thirties

To me its not that black or white. If he, his agent and the club can negotiate less playing time he should be here next year.

The club offered him a 1 year extensions, he didn't accept that. 2 years would be too big of a gamble. It was his choice.

There are players that are older and still playing an integral role and scoring goals that are not as fit and robust as the big man, -Gonzalez, Inzaghi, Totti, Del Piero, and plenty in the past that have been prolific having hit mid thirties

True, but it comes to down to his ego.

Would he become a disruption, or would he be content to be a sub player again? His agent already said they're chasing money. Don't think we can afford those high wage demands with FFP looming..

True, but it comes to down to his ego.

Would he become a disruption, or would he be content to be a sub player again? His agent already said they're chasing money. Don't think we can afford those high wage demands with FFP looming..

Yep , with FFP can we really be paying 100K a week for a super sub ? no as much as i like Drogba i feel this should be his last season , let him go out on a high note.

The reality is his agent, Thierno Seydi is up front and has said ''Its all about the money'' so its adieux bigman , thank you and goodnight. Odds on he'll be a Harlem Globetrotter at Galaxy as Buck and the SW 6 gangstas wont offer more

For the sake of the the future of this club Drogs has to leave. He is 34 and we have some exciting young players in line. The transition shouldn't stop. This is where Fergie is so good. He doesn't wait for his players to have a poor season before being sold. Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Beckham, were all sold after a good season

I think it should be his last season too. The thing is though we rely on him so much and i can see a Makalele affect after he leaves.

Not really? The style has to change once Drogs leaves. 4-3-3 was built precisely for Drogba.

4-2-3-1 should be the formation next season.

With rami/Romeu and Merieles sitting front of the defense while Mata plays behind Torres flanked by Studge and Hazard

It would be sad if he did go. He is one of my favourite players to have ever put on the blue shirt and on his day he is definitely the best striker in the world. The thing is, we are seeing the best of him less and less as he gets older.

If we wanted to keep the idea of using a large target man then we would be putting too much pressure on Lukaku next season to step in and play like Drogba and get 20+ goals per season. We keep saying with Drogba 'one more season' and it has to end at some point though. We may have to go through a 'striker transition' period while Lukaku matures more as a footballer, which could be dangerous because at the moment Sturridge is our only striker who can hit the net who will probably be here next season

Personally I would offer him a 2 year contract with a salary less than he is on now. The other night showed there is still life in the old Drog yet. As stated he should be used ala Giggs but for remainder of his tenure we should be making vast use of his experience & motivational skills (which we all observed the other night) The likes of Lakuku, Sturridge & even Torres would benefit from being coached by the big man, I think he could be useful in the dressing room too just as mouthpiece, confidence is wonderful thing to have in football......

Unfortunately the club don't seem to want to budge on a 1 year deal so it looks increasingly likely that this could be his last season.

His attitude does seem to be the hmmm point mean a few weeks back he was playing like he dosnt give a shit and then suddenly the old Drogba is back....and never know how long that last before the mehness comes back

But he is a great player and unplay able on his day so be a big loss if we do sell...but then again if we want to rebuild and all....tough call...see what happens