Eduardo Vargas

TacticalBlues

Chelsea representatives have travelled to Santiago to hold talks with Universidad de Chill over the proposed sale of Eduardo Vargas according to reports from La Tercera.

The English club are said to be leading the way for the exciting prospect who has helped his side reach the final of the Copa Sudamericana, scoring eight goals in the process to become the competition's leading goalscorer.

A number of Europe's elite teams have been linked with moves for the 22-year-old, including Milan, Inter, Arsenal and Liverpool, but Chelsea appear to be in the driving seat. A director from the English club landed in Santiago on Friday to continue negotiations with the U, who are determined to get the best possible price for their young gem.

Universidad are looking for around €10 million for the forward, but Chelsea are reluctant to pay that amount as there is a chance the player may not qualify for a work permit, due to his limited international experience and the lack of an EU passport.

Chelsea have reportedly bid €7.5m for Vargas and if he fails to gain clearance from the authorities, the club could look to loan him out to a Spanish side to gain experience in Europe which would aid the prospect of the player qualifying for a visa to play in the UK.

However, Universidad are keen to keep the player in Chile until June 2012, which would allow him to take part in the Copa Libertadores.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he some kind of a winger/half forward or a striker?

He's a forward, but can play the winger role like a Hazard. Would be a fantastic addition, he's explosive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrMC-J_7bU

I always laugh at Liverpool fans comments on these videos, they're still living in the past.

we could use him as a winger!

Wingers/forwards:

Out - Anelka (rather unfortunately imo, always a good sub), Malouda and Kalou

In - Hazard, De Bruyne, Vargas and Kakuta called back?

The difference in quality really is laughable almost. Even though I think we may loan him out like with Davilla he would be a great addition nonetheless (personally I'd keep him at Chelsea). If Drogba does end up leaving I really hope we go in for Pato. Though a Cavani or Gomez would be good. We need a proven striker that will give us that clinical edge regardless.

Here's more from Eduardo Vargas. This year's goals, except 2 goals in Copa Sudamericana quarter finals, and 1 goal in the semifinal. In less than two weeks we'll see if he was capable of leading Universidad the Chile to winning it's first international cup.

http://youtu.be/dPUwz7t0gCc

He seems like his play is built around his pace and his quick feet - which is something we kind of lack on the right wing, or left for that matter. Wouldn't say his dribbling skills are 'brilliant' for that matter, but with his quick feet could potentially be deadly!

And for 7.5 million euros, looks a bargain - though it does depend on the whole work-permit issue.

I would actually prefer him to the other wingers (with hefty price tags) - For example Hazard will cost around 40million, Neymar also at much more . So, I think it is better for us if we can get him around 8-10 million. It apparently looks like that he has pace, trickery and other skills to be a successful winger.

• 2 weeks later...

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-sul-americana/noticia/2011/12/la-u-derrota-ldu-novamente-e-e-campea-invicta-da-sul-americana.html

His two goals against LDU in South American Cup Final, the first and the last one. Looks a good replacement for Drogba.

If he comes he must play as a CF, despite his lack of stature, since we already have Sturridge in the right wing. I think he will satisfy AVB plan to emulate Spain and Barcelona, both have David Villa, 1,75 m just like Vargas.