Why is Lampard still a given card?

YouNameIt

I seriousley cannot understand people still include Lampard in their starting XI. I mean it has become quite clear the man doesnt add anything anymore except for being an icon. What is the meaning of even playing Lampard when there are other options, for instance playing mata, meireles, ramires, or swap for mikel if needed, and how about giving Josh some playtime?

Im not bashing on Lampard or anything, i have huge respect for the guy and he is a legend, but since he was injured and away, for what was it 6 months last season, he just isnt good enough anymore. He really adds nothing to the team. Drogba hasnt been himself either, but yet better than Lampard and he's been cut sorta.

So, do you guys see something I dont? Why is Lampard still a given card?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect AVB wants to give him playing time regularly so he would get back his confidence and form, to milk out the last drops from him... because a confident and in form Lampard is indispensible. If it won't happen after some time, I believe his role will gradually diminish, but AVB obviously hasn't given up hope just yet.

Guest justin_3d

There is no other player to replace him then Josh.

Josh should be the one to take over Lampard, but so far he has not being giving no chances, other then pre-season.

Guest justin_3d

Josh is not ready to play in big games yet, there is no way we can play josh against Man united.

West Brom, Norwich and Sunderland where not big games.....

But even then, SAF plays more younger player then us, and they are about the same level of rivals we played.

There is no other player to replace him then Josh.

Josh should be the one to take over Lampard, but so far he has not being giving no chances, other then pre-season.

What are u talking about? Are u saying for instance Mata - Meireles - Ramires wouldnt be better? Or Mata mikel meireles on the midfield? Are u claiming there we dont have any midfielder who adds more than Lampard? Get real will you?

Josh is not ready to play in big games yet, there is no way we can play josh against Man united.

Have we had a "big game" yet? No. No1 saying he should start against united or such, but against teams like Norwich, Sunderland he could even start and perhaps if he does really well which i reckon he would he can be sub against teams like united. that will help him grow

West Brom, Norwich and Sunderland where not big games.....

But even then, SAF plays more younger player then us, and they are about the same level of rivals we played.

It's too early for him to start playing full 90 mins, remember the second to last game of the season last year against Newcastle, Mceachran started and he struggled.

None of the youngsters SAF plays are 18, Cleverly is 22, and he went on loan a number of times, before he actually got his chance.

Josh is only 18, there is no point in having him replace Lampard yet.

Guest justin_3d

It's too early for him to start playing full 90 mins, remember the second to last game of the season last year against Newcastle, Mceachran started and he struggled.

None of the youngsters SAF plays are 18, Cleverly is 22, and he went on loan a number of times, before he actually got his chance.

Josh is only 18, there is no point in having him replace Lampard yet.

I don't think Josh should play 90 mins. Like the same thing i said about Lampard a million times.

Josh should get some time. If he starts let him play till 60. Or come in as a sub for Lampard in min 60.

After the United game, i think an approach like that should be consider.

What are u talking about? Are u saying for instance Mata - Meireles - Ramires wouldnt be better? Or Mata mikel meireles on the midfield? Are u claiming there we dont have any midfielder who adds more than Lampard? Get real will you?

Mata is playing as a winger not in the midfield.

Have we had a "big game" yet? No. No1 saying he should start against united or such, but against teams like Norwich, Sunderland he could even start and perhaps if he does really well which i reckon he would he can be sub against teams like united. that will help him grow

He should get some playing time, i'm not denying that.

I don't think Josh should play 90 mins. Like the same thing i said about Lampard a million times.

Josh should get some time. If he starts let him play till 60. Or come in as a sub for Lampard in min 60.

Yes, very much so.

Mata is playing as a winger not in the midfield.

Did I claim otherwise? Read again...

So because he doesn't score 20 goals per season he offers nothing now?

Not at all. But because he doesn't add pace, he doesn't play the ball like before, his game is waaaay out and nothing like before....AND we've actually got other players who could take his spot. At the very least he shouldn't play full 90min.

Tell me, what DOES he add atm?

Not at all. But because he doesn't add pace, he doesn't play the ball like before, his game is waaaay out and nothing like before....AND we've actually got other players who could take his spot. At the very least he shouldn't play full 90min.

Tell me, what DOES he add atm?

Squad depth? He is not in his prime, but he's still quality.

Squad depth? He is not in his prime, but he's still quality.

Quality enough to be a given card in every game and play 90minutes? Absolutley not. It's time he makes space for others, not just because there are other options but because Lampard needs to sit on the bench some and come back really motivated. Its just like Drogba and Torres being benched... If you dont perform well enough, you just cant be a given card every single game...

Im not saying he should retire or that he shouldnt be allowed to play. Just that some games he should be benched, some games he should be substituted and maybe some games (after that) he can play full 90s again

Quality enough to be a given card in every game and play 90minutes? Absolutley not. It's time he makes space for others, not just because there are other options but because Lampard needs to sit on the bench some and come back really motivated. Its just like Drogba and Torres being benched... If you dont perform well enough, you just cant be a given card every single game...

Im not saying he should retire or that he shouldnt be allowed to play. Just that some games he should be benched, some games he should be substituted and maybe some games (after that) he can play full 90s again

AVB will start rotating soon. There is no need for new threads.

Mikel had a busy week. Romeu and Josh are not ready yet.

I know this isn't a knee-jerk topic because Lampard has been below-par for some time but he looked pretty good at Sunderland.

His chalkboard shows 63/74 passes completed and some fairly incisive one too, not sure how much you can read into it given our domination tho.