Oriol Romeu

termninja

Guardian article about Oriol written by Sid Lowe who writes for the Guardian and follows Spanish football closely.

A few tidbits:

Bigger and stronger than most of his Barcelona team-mates at 6ft 1in and 13 stone, Romeu is the least "Barça" of the Barça midfielders. Physical, well positioned, tactically bright but less precise in his passing, less rapid, less smooth, in possession. Luis Enrique, his coach for Barça B, notes his attitude and presence rather than his eye for a pass.

As Martí Perarnau, the most diligent observer of Barcelona's youth set-up puts it: "Oriol is solidario. He never abandons his team-mates. He reaches every corner and covers every gap. He gives balance in the middle, allowing the rest to construct with freedom, and he goes into challenges strongly and decisively. He enjoys winning the ball back and pressuring the opposition. Sometimes, though, he is hasty in the transition of the ball."

he is described by the Spain Under-21 manager, Luis Milla, as a player who "is always well positioned, tactically". Romeu, he adds, "uses the ball correctly in possession and always does the simple thing. He is a necessary component in any football team." André Villas-Boas certainly thinks so. "Romeu," he says, "is one of the midfielders with the greatest potential there is. He has a brilliant future."

Guardian article about Oriol written by Sid Lowe who writes for the Guardian and follows Spanish football closely.

A few tidbits:

[...]

Doesn't sound like one to kick Mikel out of the team..

Shevchenko, Alves, Robinho, Kakuta, and Romeu.

How are those connected? I mean except from them being professional football players.

Barcelona will have Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago, Fabregas, Macherano and Busquets in 2 years and if Oriol likes it here and plays well I'm not sure he'll be keen to return to Barca.

In 2 years,

Xavi will be 33

Iniesta will be 29

&

Mascherano 29

There will be a lot of incentive for Oriol to return. To be honest, we make a profit either way. Wouldn't be happy about it, but if he'd want to leave then not much we can do but accept that case. Hopefully he'll give us a good 2 years.

I haven't seen him play but i have watched a few videos, seems like a good player. I know the buy-back clause is kind of a downer but i'm choosing not to think about that right now, because for all we know Barca might buy a CDM next year or the year after, we honestly don't know.

I'm happy that we are buying young players, i don't know why but i get more excited when we by youth than actually spending 30-50 million on a player.

I'm happy that we are buying young players, i don't know why but i get more excited when we by youth than actually spending 30-50 million on a player.

Yeah... buy youth, don't give them a deserved chance and then sell them. Default algorithm of the club. I hope the excitement will prove worthwhile with AVB.

Yes, it's a glorified loan deal - but one we'll make money out of either way. The way I see it, is that Oriol is Essien's short-term replacement, and potentially a long-term fixture for the squad. He will offer competition to Mikel and Ramires (though I much prefer Ramires in a B2B position), and that is only good for Chelsea Football Club.

In 2 years,

Xavi will be 33

Iniesta will be 29

&

Mascherano 29

There will be a lot of incentive for Oriol to return. To be honest, we make a profit either way. Wouldn't be happy about it, but if he'd want to leave then not much we can do but accept that case. Hopefully he'll give us a good 2 years.

What if Romeu really enjoys life at Chelsea. Are we able to contest the buy back clause??

i think it is unlikely that barça will activate the buy back clause

I wouldn't be so sure. If there's one thing they lack, especially at youth level, it's a DMF. They have Busquets now, sure, but behind him, there's not much talent left. That's why a few Barcelona fans are surprised.

You seem so sure of it... how come? A direct quote would be nice. And even if he doesn't now, then there is plenty of time to brainwash him :P

"You never know what could happen in the future, I will always support Barca and I hope someday I can return there" - Oriol Romeu

"You never know what could happen in the future, I will always support Barca and I hope someday I can return there" - Oriol Romeu

fuck... thanks. seems to be a future case of "cesc syndrom". we better brainwash him hard :D