Gourlay: youngsters may be loaned

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That Villa performance was awful yesterday?!?! awful?! fainthv9.gif

We were excellent, they were crap. I'd be very miserable if i was a Villa fan right now. Can understand why my post coulda been miss interpreted.

Guest justin_3d

hahaha I remember saying that we should not consider strikers like Aguero and such, cause there was no sign of selling Kalou and Anelka.

And from what Gourlay has said, i was proven right!

The only thing i can see coming in is a creative mid, and maybe a winger.

But our club is still staying with the same players....

Anelka has been pretty good in the preseason, to be fair. I'm okay with him sticking around. Malouda and Kalou have been shit.

Yeah I loved Anelka's performance yesterday. He was like the old confident Anelka combined with the composure and improved link-up play he got from playing on the wings. Anelka and Torres are pretty similar as strikers but Anelka played the role a lot better, hope Fernando took a good look at him.

The players we would want to sell nobody in their right mind would be interested in them, the Ferreira's and the Kalou' for example. And also nobody will pay them what they earn now so they are effectively our problem.

Is somebody really going to pay Kalou £60k a week for his level of talent? Of course not. Is somebody really going to give a 33 year old Ferreira another two years on about £60-70k a week? Of course not.

It's not that we won't sell it's more a case of we can't sell. Players only leave us once their contract is finished i.e. Joe Cole because nobody will pay a transfer for them + the wages they are on with Chelsea.

hahaha I remember saying that we should not consider strikers like Aguero and such, cause there was no sign of selling Kalou and Anelka.

And from what Gourlay has said, i was proven right!

The only thing i can see coming in is a creative mid, and maybe a winger.

But our club is still staying with the same players....

That would be good, that's just what we need. We don't need any more strikers, like you said. But i would like to get rid of the likes of Kalou.

Anelka has been pretty good in the preseason, to be fair. I'm okay with him sticking around. Malouda and Kalou have been shit.

Yeah I loved Anelka's performance yesterday. He was like the old confident Anelka combined with the composure and improved link-up play he got from playing on the wings. Anelka and Torres are pretty similar as strikers but Anelka played the role a lot better, hope Fernando took a good look at him.

Yeah but there will be a problem when he is pushed out to the wings. It's at that position we'll be frustrated by him again. I remember after the Sunderland return game last season, Carlo put him in a role just behind the strikers (Torres & Drogba) and he had a fantastic game being the link from midfield to strikers. But the following game, he lost that sharp instinct and went back to doing what he always does, sitting deep.

If he maintains some positional discipline, he will be worth keeping around (till his contract expires that is.)

So, that's it. We are going trough transition. We will wait our youngsters to develop ( nothing wrong with that) and expiration of the contract of our seniors. Very well. And how 50 mil 27 years old striker fits in that, I don't know. I also don't know how on earth we will successfully play 4 3 3 formation with only one winger in "I am too selfish to pass the ball and very often you need physics to understand my shots" Ryan Giggs wannabe Malouda. I also don't know what will happen with our midfield if we rely on injury prone Yossi, Josh can't do it all by himself. But I do know that anybody who expects trophys with this squad is on more drugs than Zamparini. So you better make sure we will expect transition results as well. Because I am not willing to discuss our new manager by this time next year.

So, that's it. We are going trough transition. We will wait our youngsters to develop ( nothing wrong with that) and expiration of the contract of our seniors. Very well. And how 50 mil 27 years old striker fits in that, I don't know. I also don't know how on earth we will successfully play 4 3 3 formation with only one winger in "I am too selfish to pass the ball and very often you need physics to understand my shots" Ryan Giggs wannabe Malouda. I also don't know what will happen with our midfield if we rely on injury prone Yossi, Josh can't do it all by himself. But I do know that anybody who expects trophys with this squad is on more drugs than Zamparini. So you better make sure we will expect transition results as well. Because I am not willing to discuss our new manager by this time next year.

please don't spoil my mood ..I'm basking in the euphoria from yesterday's win ,,,reality will kick in soon enough...

The only plus point about not buying any new attackers is that next season we will have two spaces available in the squad (Anelka/Kalou both have just one year contracts) and there will be less competition from the likes of Barca, Man City etc who have already spent big on Sanchez, Aguero etc.

So maybe we’re playing it smart and waiting for the summer when we will be the best option for the next group of talent.

Yeah but there will be a problem when he is pushed out to the wings. It's at that position we'll be frustrated by him again. I remember after the Sunderland return game last season, Carlo put him in a role just behind the strikers (Torres & Drogba) and he had a fantastic game being the link from midfield to strikers. But the following game, he lost that sharp instinct and went back to doing what he always does, sitting deep.

If he maintains some positional discipline, he will be worth keeping around (till his contract expires that is.)

I was just commenting on KieranVogel's comment on Anelka's pre-season. When he plays to his strengths and in the centre, he's still quality (but inconsistent and disappears in big games) but he's highly frustrating out on the wings.