Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

^ I think that even though Cech is magnificent and has been a wonderful servant to us, we have the choice of keeping him for 2-4 years, or keeping him for one more year then bringing Courtois in for potentially a decade. Might be a small step backwards but in the long-term it would pay off. Cech deserves to delicately dealt with though, shouldn't just be benched like Cudicini was in 2004. He should be given every third game as Courtois slowly establishes himself, before eventually either accepting a position as back-up, or moving elsewhere. Can see him finishing his career at Sparta, in all honesty. Seems the sentimental sort of guy.

Cech and Courtois both have contracts expiring in 2016. I personally believe 2014-2015 season will be decision time. Courtois will be content with staying at Atleti next season playing Champions League football and securing his place for the World Cup.

Cech and Courtois both have contracts expiring in 2016. I personally believe 2014-2015 season will be decision time. Courtois will be content with staying at Atleti next season playing Champions League football and securing his place for the World Cup.

There were stories that we are gonna hand Courtois a new contract and extend it soon.

Had an excellent game and made a couple of world class saves. Would be interesting to see where he goes next season, I honestly think he's going to stay at Athletico and play with CL with them.

ilk9AGtDA0uin.gif

Woah! :worship:

Great reflexes, yes, but you also have to notice that he made that save much harder than it would have been because he made the wrong choice at first in trying to get a touch on the cross. I know this is one incident and I'm only using it as an example, but that for me is the difference currently between Thibaut and Cech: Positioning, decision making which obviously come with experience.

For me, Cech is still much better, and is likely to still be for the next 2-3 seasons, but obviously Courtois has a huge future ahead of him so we'll have to see how the club handles this delicate situation.

Had an excellent game and made a couple of world class saves. Would be interesting to see where he goes next season, I honestly think he's going to stay at Athletico and play with CL with them.

Great reflexes, yes, but you also have to notice that he made that save much harder than it would have been because he made the wrong choice at first in trying to get a touch on the cross. I know this is one incident and I'm only using it as an example, but that for me is the difference currently between Thibaut and Cech: Positioning, decision making which obviously come with experience.

For me, Cech is still much better, and is likely to still be for the next 2-3 seasons, but obviously Courtois has a huge future ahead of him so we'll have to see how the club handles this delicate situation.

I was under the impression he could have intercepted the cross had he really gone for it with a dive. I feel he was indecisive, but he made up for it with a great save in the end.

I think what seperates Thibaut from Petr is that he is almost 10 years younger. Positioning, decision making, commanding box presence all becomes perfect with age if a goalie has the requiered talents which he needs to develop. And Thibaut has all that. That´s why I can´t really see him being a proper threat to Petrs Nr 1 Squad, who should see out his carreer with to be honest. It is difficult with Thibaut in hand sort of...I wouldn´t mind him staying at Atleti for at least two seasons.

It is frightening which sort of potential we have in our loanees alone...

I was under the impression he could have intercepted the cross had he really gone for it with a dive. I feel he was indecisive, but he made up for it with a great save in the end.

I think it was too pacey to catch. Yes it was a great save, but the point is he was forced to make that save because of the mistake he made in decision making.

I don't mean to be harsh on him, he's only 21, just pointing out where Cech is still better than Thibaut right now.

Great dilemma we have here. Their stats are very similar and to even compare the two at this age is testament to Courtiois quality.

I'll count on Mourinho to make the right choice. He's watched Courtois first hand this season and if anybody has shown bottle in making big decisions with keepers, it's Mourinho. That said I can't see Cech dropped any time soon unless his long term injury really starts affecting him.

You're actually completely wrong on your appraisal of that incident. It was the perfect cross from Di Maria and Courtois saw it across the box perfectly.

His first move was to try and claim it but it actually swerves across the box rather than being a straight ball. Perfect keeping.

His second move is to meet it where the striker should be attacking it - between his centre backs. If a number 9 does what he's supposed to in that position, Courtois will meet him head-on. Again, perfect keeping.

His final move is to cover anyone at the back post and as everyone can see, he does that perfectly too.

Anyone looking to criticise this piece of play really needs to give up - this is football at it's finest. A perfect ball, a perfect back post run and a perfect save. Maybe stick to gymnastics where you can knock off a point for a person taking a step after doing a quadruple tuck somersault. :yay:

This.

You're actually completely wrong on your appraisal of that incident. It was the perfect cross from Di Maria and Courtois saw it across the box perfectly.

His first move was to try and claim it but it actually swerves across the box rather than being a straight ball. Perfect keeping.

His second move is to meet it where the striker should be attacking it - between his centre backs. If a number 9 does what he's supposed to in that position, Courtois will meet him head-on. Again, perfect keeping.

His final move is to cover anyone at the back post and as everyone can see, he does that perfectly too.

Anyone looking to criticise this piece of play really needs to give up - this is football at it's finest. A perfect ball, a perfect back post run and a perfect save. Maybe stick to gymnastics where you can knock off a point for a person taking a step after doing a quadruple tuck somersault. :yay:

There was a cross across his 6 yard box, he tries to intercept but realizes he's made a wrong decision leaving his far post exposed and does brilliantly well to recover. The right decision was to run across his line and cover the far post since he could clearly see that there is no Real attacked between his CBs.

Simple, really. Absolutely no need for all that over-analyzing :lol:

:clap:

spot on.

He is going to be the best in the world, I'm absolutely sure of that. He's a boss off the field as well, he has a massive connection with the Atletico fans, gives plenty of interviews in fluent Spanish etc..

He's a legend over there at such a young age and he's not even theirs :F