The best team never to win the CL?

In a recent ranking of the 50 greatest european club sides, by the football pantheon. The Chelsea 2004/07 side reached 38 place, ranked above the Liverpool 1985-90 & Bayern Munich 1984-90 sides.

Chelsea 2004-07

franklampardcelebrates0.png

The best team never to win the Champions League? A few sides below might take issue with that as well as Jose Mourinho's ways of doing things. But there's no debating his record in English football. The Portuguese raised the bar to unseen and still-unmatched levels in the Premier League. Chelsea's totals in 2004-05 and 2005-06 constitute the highest points-per-game averages in the history of the English game. The biggest compliment that can be paid to him is that, essentially, he ensured you dare not make more than one error if you had any notions of winning the league.

At times, Chelsea were utterly relentless. But, crucially, not invincible. For all of his highly personal battles that Mourinho won, he ultimately lost three times to his Bete Noirs in the competition he wanted most: twice in the Champions League semi-finals to Rafa Benitez, once in the last 16 to Barcelona. All in acrimonious circumstances.

That, of course, is exactly how you could describe Mourinho's departure. It may have provided some vindication that they got to the final later that season. But Chelsea's failure to win the Champions League still stands against on otherwise intimidating team.

Trophies won: English league 2005, 2006; FA Cup 2007; English league cup 2005, 2007

Managers: Jose Mourinho

Best XI: Cech; Ferreira, Gallas, Carvalho, Terry; Makelele, Lampard, Essien; Robben, Duff, Drogba

http://footballpanth...n-club-sides/3/

Ajax 1965-73 won with a total of 1575 points. Followed by Real Madrid 1953-60, Liverpool 1975-84 & Barcelona 2008-11.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading about that Ajax team. Sensational from what I read too!

But that Chelsea team was also incredible! It's a real shame Robben spent so long injured, if he hadn't been, he'd still be a Chelsea player, and a definite force in this league! Interesting they've chosen Makelele & Essien in the same squad though, I remember he only really excelled when Makelele left.

Nice idea. Will get to reading it later but since the ranking is based on numbers I wonder how high would we have been, had we won a single Champions League trophy during that era. Frankly I'm not convinced that Inter 08-10, Porto 02-04 and ManU 06-09 were that much better than us.

Nice idea. Will get to reading it later but since the ranking is based on numbers I wonder how high would we have been, had we won a single Champions League trophy during that era. Frankly I'm not convinced that Inter 08-10, Porto 02-04 and ManU 06-09 were that much better than us.

On league basis during 04/05 and 05/06 we were unstoppable and if it weren't for Steven Hunt's boot it would have been more of the same in 06/07 actually thinking of that i think our squad as a whole peaked in 07/08 and if we flipping kept Jose i still believe we would have won the lot, possibly breaking our previous 95 point record in 04/05.

Since 08/09 i think our great side of recent times have declined and despite the double and bar our record breaking scoring couple of months in April/May 2010 i think it has shown in general.

Im grateful for the League titles ive seen as a Chelsea fan because i didn't expect to see even one but thinking how many more we could have won and even if we kept Jose the CL would have been safely in the bag by now does frustrate me.

We deserved it more than any other team in 2004/05, it still hurts me to think about it & the manner of which we were knocked out & that scum went on to win it.

The way we battered Barca at the bridge i'll never forget that night one of my best nights as a Chelsea fan, we battered Bayern as well. We were mugged against Liverpool, what could of been.

But we have our league title & the records from that season to show how good we were.

But we have our league title & the records from that season to show how good we were.

Hit the nail right on the head.

As fancy and glorious as cup competitions are they could never compete with a league format in testing the true quality the teams involved.

• 1 year later...

As TX linked to this thread it's only right to post here as we have made history and re written the history books. We've now done it and we are also 3rd in the Uefa club rankings. Back with the best. Maybe we can be better than the 04-08 side. Funny the article says 04-07, we got to the final in 08 and semi in 09. It's basically saying 'the Mourinho era'.

I still feel for Valencia losing 2 finals back to back in 2000 and 2001. Juve have lost their last 3 finals and Bayern and Man Utd have lost their last 2. It's such a hard trophy to win and it will get harder now with City, PSG, Anzi, Malaga etc. Big monkey off the back now for us tho.

Especially when you consider everything was pointing for a Real Madrid-Chelsea final. That Porto triumph was almost as incredible as our own victory in Munich. Some things really are 'written in the stars', so to speak. Its like Greece winning Euro 2004. You just cannot for the love of God imagine it happening, and then...

As TX linked to this thread it's only right to post here as we have made history and re written the history books. We've now done it and we are also 3rd in the Uefa club rankings. Back with the best. Maybe we can be better than the 04-08 side. Funny the article says 04-07, we got to the final in 08 and semi in 09. It's basically saying 'the Mourinho era'.

I still feel for Valencia losing 2 finals back to back in 2000 and 2001. Juve have lost their last 3 finals and Bayern and Man Utd have lost their last 2. It's such a hard trophy to win and it will get harder now with City, PSG, Anzi, Malaga etc. Big monkey off the back now for us tho.

The hardest thing to do is to win it a first time.

Everyone hates to say it but it's kind of surprising the Arsenal ' Invincibles' didn't win the Champions League.

Wenger should have dominated Europe with that squad, the fact he didn't even dominate England is bewildering (not that im complaining).

Im not saying Wenger's a bad manager but with the personnel he had between 2000-2005 he should have done better.

Valencia 2000 to 2003 was a great team. Good enough to knock Real Madrid and Barcelona of the pedestal.

I might be alone in this but Santiago Canizares is IMHO the best keeper i have seen (im 21), some of the stuff he pulled off was insane, i remember a crazy save from Gerrard then one from Ballack against us.