Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

6 hours ago, Thor said:

Kepa was brilliant this season. Style is unorthodox so people think it isn't safe. Same thing with DDG. People said he wasn't safe because he was stopping shots with his feet instead of getting down low and palming away... so much for that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My assessment would be that he wasnt brilliant he was decent who surely improved towards the end... there were many times where his decision making was way off but first season I'm hoping he take the route that De Gea took post his first season at United where his technique was not exactly a GK is coached for ... But fingers crossed. 

On De Gea, he did change that post his first season ... his eye - feet co-ordination was brilliant and he changed that to eye - hand one after 2 season at United. I can imagine his feet tied and the coach asking him to use the hands ... very basic level but very effective. 

On 5/12/2019 at 5:13 AM, Vesper said:

Bakayoko (call me insane but I still think, given the right role and coaching he can be a beast, just probably not here.

“Louca varrida” (br-pt) which closely translates to batshit crazy! Funnest sayings in both languages too imo.

honestly put Alonso there and he’s twice the player bakayoko is. Better first touch, passing, just as tall and slow, but can score too. No, he will not win you over, just pointing out how bad bakayoko is. ;) 

kepa’s strong end of season is definitely promising. He’s got potential and I’m happy that he’s definitely at least a good goalie. Whether he will eventually become a great goalie, well that’s still to be decided.

1 hour ago, Robchels said:

“Louca varrida” (br-pt) which closely translates to batshit crazy! Funnest sayings in both languages too imo.

honestly put Alonso there and he’s twice the player bakayoko is. Better first touch, passing, just as tall and slow, but can score too. No, he will not win you over, just pointing out how bad bakayoko is. ;) 

kepa’s strong end of season is definitely promising. He’s got potential and I’m happy that he’s definitely at least a good goalie. Whether he will eventually become a great goalie, well that’s still to be decided.

Bakayoko is streets ahead of Alonso in pace.

10 hours ago, Stats said:

Surprised no one has mentioned this but he has started both games for Spain in their Euro qualifiers this week. DDG was left on the bench. Massive achievement and deserved. Has had his errors but on the whole has been very good this season and impressed. Shows how underwhelming DDG has been. Massive for him :clap:

so that means Madrid will come calling in the future then...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, BlueLion. said:

He's shit, bring back Courtois.

lol I'm not saying he's shit. Just find it frustrating. :rant:

Do you think Origi's and Salah's penalties were struck too well for him to save or he should have saved at least one of them? 

Just now, Jason said:

lol I'm not saying he's shit. Just find it frustrating. :rant:

Do you think Origi's and Salah's penalties were struck too well for him to save or he should have saved at least one of them? 

Going to be brutally honest and assess it from "a keeper's point of view". 

Origi's was unlucky. He expected a high shot which is why he dived over the ball. It's a case of percentages, and if you look at Origi's body shape it does look as if he is going to go high, across the goalkeeper towards the top half of the net. I can understand why he therefore dived higher, so it's an unfortunate one. If he'd have gone lower and Origi went higher, we'd all be complaining he didn't jump far enough. So - ultimately - no blame attached there. 

Salah's was saveable. The position of the shot was telegraped, it was very clear which way he was going to go; he also got a very good hand onto the ball. I'm going to be hypercritical and say that I'd expect a goalkeeper as good as him to save that one. 

So, bottom line - he should have saved the pen, but we can't be too critical because we wouldn't have gotten to penalties without him tonight. He was superb yet again. 

2 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

Going to be brutally honest and assess it from "a keeper's point of view". 

Origi's was unlucky. He expected a high shot which is why he dived over the ball. It's a case of percentages, and if you look at Origi's body shape it does look as if he is going to go high, across the goalkeeper towards the top half of the net. I can understand why he therefore dived higher, so it's an unfortunate one. If he'd have gone lower and Origi went higher, we'd all be complaining he didn't jump far enough. So - ultimately - no blame attached there. 

Salah's was saveable. The position of the shot was telegraped, it was very clear which way he was going to go; he also got a very good hand onto the ball. I'm going to be hypercritical and say that I'd expect a goalkeeper as good as him to save that one. 

So, bottom line - he should have saved the pen, but we can't be too critical because we wouldn't have gotten to penalties without him tonight. He was superb yet again. 

Fair assessments. What about the one against City in the League Cup final? Can't remember who it was but he also allowed one to squeeze past his hand. A tad worried it might become a thing going forward. I mean, he actually has a decent record of guessing the correct side in penalty situations (can't save them all obviously) but it's kinda wasteful if you do that and not save a number of the penalties. 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Fair assessments. What about the one against City in the League Cup final? Can't remember who it was but he also allowed one to squeeze past his hand. A tad worried it might become a thing going forward. I mean, he actually has a decent record of guessing the correct side in penalty situations (can't save them all obviously) but it's kinda wasteful if you do that and not save a number of the penalties. 

Not trying to sound like Courtois and commenting on goalkeeper's height right now, but I do think that has an element to it. He reads the penalties superbly, you can see he studies the body language of the players in their stance and run-up. I don't think it'll be an issue going forward in the long-term. Remember Cech went four years without saving a penalty in open play between 2005 and 2009 (someone with a better memory than me might dispute this), and he didn't do so bad in big games in the end, did he? :) 

Just now, BlueLion. said:

Not trying to sound like Courtois and commenting on goalkeeper's height right now, but I do think that has an element to it. He reads the penalties superbly, you can see he studies the body language of the players in their stance and run-up. I don't think it'll be an issue going forward in the long-term. Remember Cech went four years without saving a penalty in open play between 2005 and 2009 (someone with a better memory than me might dispute this), and he didn't do so bad in big games in the end, did he? :) 

Your sensible posts are so not needed right now! :rant: