Jean Seri

the wes

The club and the manager have to work together.  I think that the idea of the manager having the final word in the market is an English media thing.  Clubs in England seemed to be the last to go to a director of football model.  In fact, if I recall, they used to refer to it as a "Continental set-up".  But, just about every club does it now, I think.

Managers know that if results don't come, they get the sack.  If it were up to them, the clubs would spend ridiculous amounts of money on players that are older, and have no re-sale value.  Newcastle fans slated the club for not backing Keegan in his last stint, but his short list was ridiculous.  The club needs to look after their long term interests, managers are usually all about "win now".  Redknapp at Portsmouth is a prime example of how it goes wrong when a manager has too much power.

But, they need to work together or you get the square peg in round hole scenario.  

This is where a club identity and style has to fit with the manager.  It's well and good to have great promising talent, but if they don't get played, they risk being shipped off to somewhere like Wolfsburg for example before they really get a chance.

As far as Seri goes.  With some players, it doesn't matter who the manager is.  A ball playing CM with vision and technique will fit in with just about any midfield. 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Very few clubs run with a manager having the final say, one that does is United and look what's happened there.

I think Mourinho actually got some really good players, but he doesn't know how to set them up...

20 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

This is true but most successful clubs also have a director of football. Atletico, City, Bayern, Juventus and others. If we had a Director of Football with a proven record I don't think people would criticize the board this much for not giving the managers more power in transfers.

Our latest supposed link is Ballack. I read today a report where ha said that we have done bad business in the past few seasons with transfers and he doesn't think that throwing money at the problem will fix it!!!

He says with our academy winning everything there is the answer is to use more of them!!

Now I'm all for us bring in the best of the bunch and I wish we had given them more time over some this season.

But i do think we need that balance of age/experience and fresh blood.

but that's where its so important to have a DOF with a strong footballing history and working hand in glove with the manager.

I don't think the manager should have total control of players coming/going but I would like to let him have some sort of veto button if he feels strongly about one coming/going cause we don't need anymore collecting dust on the bench. But at the same time dont want us getting rid of good players just down to personality clashs.

Improvement on Bakayoko and Drinkwater but still another average player in my eyes. We need a top level midfielder this summer to boost our options, we should be looking at guys like Verratti, Jorginho, Kovacic (still has so much potential to grow)... they are so much better. Seri is alright fair enough and hes not exactly the style of player we don't need but if he is going to be signed and people expect him and RLC to be catalysts and change our MF then be prepared for disappointment. 

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Improvement on Bakayoko and Drinkwater but still another average player in my eyes. We need a top level midfielder this summer to boost our options, we should be looking at guys like Verratti, Jorginho, Kovacic... they are so much better. Seri is alright fair enough and hes not exactly the style of player we don't need but if he is going to be signed and people expect him and RLC to be catalysts and change our MF then be prepared for disappointment. 

I think Seri is better than what you think. He is Payet mark 2. 

10 minutes ago, iceboy said:

Off to Napoli.

Not yet, but I wouldn't blame him if he made it official. Chelsea seemingly can't do anything right this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sky Sports reporter gives update on Chelsea FC link to top 26-year-old

Dharmesh Sheth delivers the latest update on Chelsea FC's reported interest in Jean-Michael Seri

“He would forgo the Champions League to play in the Premier League.”

Sky Sports News reporter Sheth revealed that Seri would prefer to move to Premier League club Chelsea FC this summer.

“If Chelsea can sort out all their problems, Seri’s preference would be Chelsea,” Sheth told the Transfer Talk podcast.

1 hour ago, Unionjack said:

Sky Sports reporter gives update on Chelsea FC link to top 26-year-old

Dharmesh Sheth delivers the latest update on Chelsea FC's reported interest in Jean-Michael Seri

“He would forgo the Champions League to play in the Premier League.”

Sky Sports News reporter Sheth revealed that Seri would prefer to move to Premier League club Chelsea FC this summer.

“If Chelsea can sort out all their problems, Seri’s preference would be Chelsea,” Sheth told the Transfer Talk podcast.

AKA Sign a bloody manager (Sarri) and he will happily patrol the midfield with his silky skills.

Can play across the midfield, nice range of passing and tempo, pretty nice long distance shot. sign him up.

1 minute ago, akgw13 said:

AKA Sign a bloody manager (Sarri) and he will happily patrol the midfield with his silky skills.

Can play across the midfield, nice range of passing and tempo, pretty nice long distance shot. sign him up.

Its nice to THINK that a pretty good player APPARENTLY WANTS to come to us even without CL. Dunno whether this Sheth guy is legit or it its bollox. But would have thought a Sky News reporter was on the up n up.

Just now, Unionjack said:

Its nice to THINK that a pretty good player APPARENTLY WANTS to come to us even without CL. Dunno whether this Sheth guy is legit or it its bollox. But would have thought a Sky News reporter was on the up n up.

Well  even if you look at the general market for him, Napoli bought two others, Arsenal got the Uruguayin kid, City seemingly have Jorginho locked up, Man U went with Fred and maybe another big splash. Liverpool have Keita and Fabinho coming in, Barca have Arthur.

That leaves us, I think if we hadn't dicked around with the manager this one would have been in the bag weeks ago. we were bidding but obviously a player wont sign unless he knows who the manager is going to be. 

im cautiously optimistic he & Rugani should sign up pretty quickly once we announce Sarri. hopefully gives us a little momentum

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You