Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

12 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Look. Even the fuckin Star can see hes our weakness

Chelsea vs Arsenal: Ex-Gunner backs Unai Emery’s side to exploit weak Blues star

ARSENAL can bounce back from their Premier League opening day defeat by exploiting Chelsea’s weakness down the left.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/723646/Chelsea-vs-Arsenal-Unai-Emery-Maurizio-Sarri-Adrian-Clarke-Marcos-Alonso-Jorginho

Even the Dogs on the street know our weakness is Luiz and Alonso that will need fix in January or next season 

1 hour ago, Robguima said:

Yeah would not try to exploit azpi’s defensive weakness that’s for sure.

now the same could be said of every attacking fullback. RM Marcelo would be the perfect example as he can’t defend to save his life (way way worse than Alonso).

that does not hurt Madrid though. The system takes care of that or atshould - that’s why the manager also makes the big bucks. ;) 

I think Marcelo makes up for his weak defending with his world class open play attacking that Alonso cant dream of replicating. Take away set pieces from Alonso and he ain't contributing much to chelsea. But he's the best we got for now so we have to make do.

Sorry guys I really disagree with the notion that he is best we have in that left back position...Emerson is clearly and million miles better than him...when the games start coming thick and fast whereby we play average of two games in a week....Sarri will see the massive weakness we have in Alonso...I pray he doesn't learn it the hard way...Premier league can be cruel and ruthless...soon teams will start targeting his side coupled with time bomb waiting to explode we have in Luiz...we are in for a race ride...

16 minutes ago, eemanyooel said:

Sorry guys I really disagree with the notion that he is best we have in that left back position...Emerson is clearly and million miles better than him...when the games start coming thick and fast whereby we play average of two games in a week....Sarri will see the massive weakness we have in Alonso...I pray he doesn't learn it the hard way...Premier league can be cruel and ruthless...soon teams will start targeting his side coupled with time bomb waiting to explode we have in Luiz...we are in for a race ride...

Honestly hope it doesn't come to that. It'll cost us points. I just don't know how Alonso has convinced Conte and Sarri that he's anywhere near better than our other options. Unless Emerson is really terrible in training.

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

I think Marcelo makes up for his weak defending with his world class open play attacking that Alonso cant dream of replicating. Take away set pieces from Alonso and he ain't contributing much to chelsea. But he's the best we got for now so we have to make do.

Heh matter of opinion. For me Marcelo is very Overrated. He does well for real. Does not do a thing right for Brazil. One of those flashy players who look better than they are.

alonso is very underrated here. His contribution over 2 seasons is as clear as day to me. His stats show an important player for us regardless of style or preferences. Remove him from the team and 7 goals (plus a few assists) go poof. Can the other one make up for it? Maybe maybe not... not for me to decide.

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Honestly hope it doesn't come to that. It'll cost us points. I just don't know how Alonso has convinced Conte and Sarri that he's anywhere near better than our other options. Unless Emerson is really terrible in training.

That is only point I can only think of...but even at that we can clearly see during games when Emerson was given a run how competent and solid he has been if not quality..I cant understand how Sarri that prioritize fast pace attacking football coupled with great intensity and quick thinking to open up spaces will think Alonso is the solution to our left full back position...despite how important and crucial full back positions is to Sarriball...If Sarri wants to give them both chances to determine who merits the left back position...but  as things stand I hope am wrong he is the starting left back...things will soon get messy...

4 hours ago, Robguima said:

Heh matter of opinion. For me Marcelo is very Overrated. He does well for real. Does not do a thing right for Brazil. One of those flashy players who look better than they are.

alonso is very underrated here. His contribution over 2 seasons is as clear as day to me. His stats show an important player for us regardless of style or preferences. Remove him from the team and 7 goals (plus a few assists) go poof. Can the other one make up for it? Maybe maybe not... not for me to decide.

Marcelo is the perfect leftback for an attacking system but bad for a defensive system. Alonso on the other hand is just not that good in attack.

How many assists has he had in 2 seasons with us? How many chances (key passes) has he created? Does he support Hazard with overlaps when Hazard cuts in? Is he capable of making runs off the ball to get unto through passes to stretch the play like Alba does constantly for barcelona? Or does he just wait for ball to feet and passes it back to the Defensive mid or Defender everytime?

Alonso is on the wrong side of these questions and they are only about his attacking ability in open play. If we delve into the defensive side, then well we know how he is.. Take his set pieces away and hes just average. If an attacking coach like Guardiola (whose style is similar to Sarri) thought that Alonso's qualities are important, Kolarov will still be Mancity's leftback and not Mendy / Delph.

11 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Marcelo is the perfect leftback for an attacking system but bad for a defensive system. Alonso on the other hand is just not that good in attack.

How many assists has he had in 2 seasons with us? How many chances (key passes) has he created? Does he support Hazard with overlaps when Hazard cuts in? Is he capable of making runs off the ball to get unto through passes to stretch the play like Alba does constantly for barcelona? Or does he just wait for ball to feet and passes it back to the Defensive mid or Defender everytime?

Alonso is on the wrong side of these questions and they are only about his attacking ability in open play. If we delve into the defensive side, then well we know how he is.. Take his set pieces away and hes just average. If an attacking coach like Guardiola (whose style is similar to Sarri) thought that Alonso's qualities are important, Kolarov will still be Mancity's leftback and not Mendy / Delph.

Fair enough, but many of these question should be asked of Hazard, since that's literally his job. And yet, we are here asking this of Alonso... the left-back. Hazard has the same virtues and weaknesses when playing for Belgium, so don't think he has a whole lot to do with Alonso.

Alonso link up play is underrated simply because he's a good passer with good technique - yes, in open play. Underrated in defense because his strength in the air also helps there.

The thing about Marcelo, is that people underestimate how bad he is in defense. So, when he's not amazing in attack, he never is for Brazil, he sucks.

I don't want to sound like I think Alonso is a fantastic player who got no weakness. Just that when I read this thread, I wonder if we are discussing Alonso or Bakayoko. :)

4 hours ago, Robguima said:

Fair enough, but many of these question should be asked of Hazard, since that's literally his job. And yet, we are here asking this of Alonso... the left-back. Hazard has the same virtues and weaknesses when playing for Belgium, so don't think he has a whole lot to do with Alonso.

Alonso link up play is underrated simply because he's a good passer with good technique - yes, in open play. Underrated in defense because his strength in the air also helps there.

The thing about Marcelo, is that people underestimate how bad he is in defense. So, when he's not amazing in attack, he never is for Brazil, he sucks.

I don't want to sound like I think Alonso is a fantastic player who got no weakness. Just that when I read this thread, I wonder if we are discussing Alonso or Bakayoko. :)

To be fair, Alonso has a great technique. Especially shooting technique, I think hes the best shooter in chelsea.

But I value energetic, ashley cole type fullbacks so it makes me judge Alonso harder.

4 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

But I value energetic, ashley cole type fullbacks so it makes me judge Alonso harder.

To be fair, you don't have value Cole to judge whether Alonso is cut to be first choice at a big club. The answer is fairly obvious.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

To be fair, you don't have value Cole to judge whether Alonso is cut to be first choice at a big club. The answer is fairly obvious.

I liked Cole very much so, and value Alonso too for different reasons. ;) Same way I also value Azpi even though he's not so great in attack.

Both types can contribute in the right system and the right teammates.

Given that our CM seems to be in much better shape, I'm far more concerned about Morata (and Giroud!) goal scoring slump. And the AM/winger situation since IMO we only have one (eden).

Was very impressed with him actually, thought he defended well, set up the first goal too. I thought Bellerin's pace would of caused him a problem all game long and maybe for 20 minutes (think the whole team struggled there) it did but rest of the match he was solid. 

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

We need to criticize him more often. Seems to do the trick every weekend. 

No one is a better shooter of the ball than Alonso in our team. Great game today, luckily arsenal didn't continue the constant attacking down his side in the second half.

2 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

No one is a better shooter of the ball than Alonso in our team. Great game today, luckily arsenal didn't continue the constant attacking down his side in the second half.

He's making us look like fools!

By the way, at the rate we're going, Pedro might be the one - rather than Hazard - who will contribute at least 35 goals this season! :ph34r: