Buy leaders in the summer

Tomo

I'd like us to start how you build a house, with the foundations. Get proper football people in behind the scenes and start the whole process again from bottom to top. Do whatever it takes to fetch in the right manager with the right attacking philosophy.

Not just leaders on the pitch but football people behind the scenes.

You know that's not going to happen. It should've happened back in 2009, or 2011, or 2013. But it didn't. I respect Roman for everything that he did for this club, but his vision regarding football is still flawed. He will always seize the short term success and people around him know that. Feed him with trophies and he'll be happy. And we're probably gonna bounce back rather sooner than later. We will win another trophy and we'll keep fooling ourselves that everything's gonna be fine. But at a certain point, Roman will get bored. And if he gets bored and decides to give up on his favourite toy, we will not have a future as a club. We lack an ideology, we lack competent people on board. That's the sad truth and I can't see things changing for the better.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that's not going to happen. It should've happened back in 2009, or 2011, or 2013. But it didn't. I respect Roman for everything that he did for this club, but his vision regarding football is still flawed. He will always seize the short term success and people around him know that. Feed him with trophies and he'll be happy. And we're probably gonna bounce back rather sooner than later. We will win another trophy and we'll keep fooling ourselves that everything's gonna be fine. But at a certain point, Roman will get bored. And if he gets bored and decides to give up on his favourite toy, we will not have a future as a club. We lack an ideology, we lack competent people on board. That's the sad truth and I can't see things changing for the better.

For me right now it's like when a car has a serious crash but not quite a write off....You can fix it, there is a lot of damaged main parts, and it may run alright in the future. Right now it isn't running right, because in the summer the right repairs were not done to the team to build on the structure we already had. We merely had the T-Cut out and hoped to polish out the scratched whilst saving money on the bodywork.....

The direction has gone in a lot of ways. The direction of transfers and also the way the club looks at the structure as whole. This is where I keep pointing back to the people behind the scenes and pointing the finger of blame at, not all of it, but a lot of it. Barring JT on the field we have no leader, behind the scenes we lack that because nobody has the second clue about football and what we need, that question is answered both right now in our football but also our transfer dealings, any normal walk of life they would answerable for their job, to me it's no different right now. And before the old 'Well we won the title last season' is thrown back, yeah it was great, but let's not turn into Liverpool and always look back, let's build, let's develop, lets transgress and keep building a fortress.

I cannot believe the number of people here calling JT "shit" and things like that. He's not playing as good as he used to, but show some respect, for Christ's sake. It's our captain, our legend you're talking about. How dare you call him "shit"?

Too right. No real fan would say such rubbish.

JT will never be shit, he's nearing his expiry date though....

This club lacks real leaders, In fact world football lacks character leaders!

Who can we buy who has the leadership qualities to lead on and off the pitch?

Within our ranks there are only a handful of players I feel with the character to lead, Zouma(though he's too young), Azpilicueta(Not exactly a vocal leader), Courtois... That's it and of those names none strike me as a guy a team the size as Chelsea can rally around. What's worse is none are English!

“Clichés are clichés for a reason, man! Because they f*cking work!” –Samurai Apocalypse (Californication) :D

Those pundits are mostly ex-captains. I think that is why they always emphasize and repeat the importance their roles in the team.

Balance is important, young players can learn from the experienced ones but this is not the main problem right now.

Just as important, if not more so, is the notion of Team Building.

Theres no point in leaders if there's no cohesion. This is down to backroom staff, manager, Technical director as well as the players. At the moment there seems too much the 'cult of the individual'.

Just as important, if not more so, is the notion of Team Building.

Theres no point in leaders if there's no cohesion. This is down to backroom staff, manager, Technical director as well as the players. At the moment there seems too much the 'cult of the individual'.

About 3 years ago, we looked to have a clear direction or idea of what we want to do and how we are going to do things going forward as a club. Then, Mourinho came back and almost everything has gone shit since then.

About 3 years ago, we looked to have a clear direction or idea of what we want to do and how we are going to do things going forward as a club. Then, Mourinho came back and almost everything has gone shit since then.

What direction was that? Become Barcelona by buying young talent and then hire Pep?

Then when that fell through we went to Jose and told him to win the league...and he did.

It might just be our owner doesn't have a clue what he's doing but has a massive chequebook. He needs to be honest that he doesn't know what he's doing and hire people who do. We're lucky the geezer didn't try designing the new stadium with his kids crayons.

Its symptomatic of the fickle nature of fans though. Funny how its suddenly become very fashionable to bash Mourinho online, yet the same people were wanking over him last May.

Its symptomatic of the fickle nature of fans though. Funny how its suddenly become very fashionable to bash Mourinho online, yet the same people were wanking over him last May.

Plenty of people were already complaining (bashing) about Mourinho before this season including myself but we were labeled moaners. I remember a thread being made or renamed, last season, as "the moaning thread" (or something along does lines) to ridicule us.

Kinda funny that a moderator would say this considering Lionsden, who was a big critic of Mourinho, was banned for being "overly critical".

Plenty of people were already complaining (bashing) about Mourinho before this season including myself but we were labeled moaners. I remember a thread being made or renamed, last season, as "the moaning thread" (or something along does lines) to ridicule us.

Kinda funny that a moderator would say this considering Lionsden, who was a big critic of Mourinho, was banned for being "overly critical".

Not in May they werent, quite happy to bathe in the glory, as I am sure you were.

Yes I actually changed the title back to the Mourinho Thread several times. If I remember rightly Lionsden was banned amongst other things because 158 of his 160 posts were slagging off the team he purported to support.' Kinda funny' too. Not 100% sure, as Mods cant ban.

Anyways, back on topic.

What direction was that? Become Barcelona by buying young talent and then hire Pep?

We clearly had a plan of what we wanted to do - we wanted to change our playing style, we bought a group of technically exciting and brilliant players to play a more expansive brand of football than we had in the years before. Whether we wanted to be Barcelona 2.0, hire Guardiola or not, we definitely had decided the direction going forward. Then, we went and brought in Mourinho - the manager who prefers reactive/defensive approach to football as opposed to proactive/offensive approach that's more in line with the kind of players we had then.

Then when that fell through we went to Jose and told him to win the league...and he did. It might just be our owner doesn't have a clue what he's doing but has a massive chequebook. He needs to be honest that he doesn't know what he's doing and hire people who do. We're lucky the geezer didn't try designing the new stadium with his kids crayons.

Yes, he won the league but that's one of the only few things he did in his second time here. Why? (1) Our squad depth and quality is now way worse than what we had 2-3 seasons ago - he actually ditched the footballing types for a bunch of players who run around the pitch and aren't good in much else - (2) he didn't instill any sort of positive playing style especially when he constantly talked about staying for the long haul - we're so bad at football now that it looks like an achievement if we can string more than 5 passes! - (3) he constantly created drama and chaos within the club and with the media - his need for controversy, his need to create 'us against the world' mentality is pathetic. he has used those methods all throughout his career and any fella with half a brain can see through his ploys. it's like he has no other ways to motivate the players and to thrive, (4) he talked about bringing youth players, he talked about academy day bla bla bla and yet, we've seen nothing about that in 2 1/2 years.

Mourinho constantly banged the drum about creating a dynasty, staying for many years but he always used the same short-term management methods that he's been using all these years. He didn't change, he didn't do anything differently to suggest that he can adapt, he can build a team and stay for years to come. He kept doing the same things and when it didn't work out, he had no clue how to turn things around. And blaming the board is only valid till a certain point because at the end of the day, the manager is the one managing the players, tasked with getting the best out of them, making progression year in year but in the 2 1/2 years that he was here, we made only the slightest bit of progression. If we are to take a cynical view though, then we regressed quite a bit under him. We're so far behind the likes of Barcelona, Bayern Munich etc that it's quite depressing to watch.

Then when that fell through we went to Jose and told him to win the league...and he did.

It might just be our owner doesn't have a clue what he's doing but has a massive chequebook. He needs to be honest that he doesn't know what he's doing and hire people who do. We're lucky the geezer didn't try designing the new stadium with his kids crayons.

Use our Academy talents. Play attacking possession footbal.(play and win with style) Sign younger talented players in their early 20's.

We tried to go for Guardiola. When that didn't work we turned to Mourinho. The manager that embodied the opposite of what we were trying to achieve here.

Pretty sure we told him a bit more then that. In his first season he was talking a lot about playing attacking football and winning with style, implementing youth, long term plans.

I'm fairly certain we asked Mourinho to go against his nature and try and implement the things we wanted as a club. (What i wrote above)

The club thought he could change, Mourinho thought he could change. He couldn't change though.

We won a league title but it came at a big cost.

I know a lot of people aren't gonna wanna hear this but rehiring Mourinho was a massive mistake maybe even the biggest mistake the club made in the Roman Abramovich period.

Only the Mourinho worshipers were wanking over him and saw him as one who can do no wrong. If you look at the past posts and threads, I'm sure you'll find that while people were pleased and happy about winning the league, they still had doubts about Mourinho and his management style.

Anyway, back on track.I Agree that leaders for next season are important, as with team building, all singing from the same hymn sheet etc.

Its crucial also that a manager is given autonomy. Huge bruisers under Clough like Larry Lloyd would cower in doorways rather than get a tongue lashing off old big 'ead, similarly, the whole United squad were in dread of Redfaces hair dryer treatment.

Its no coincidence those two are the greatest British managers to ever manage English teams in the top flight, and were given the freedom to run their squads without interference.

Cant ever see that happening at CFC, the nearest we came to it was when Jose was left alone for his two first seasons.

Only the Mourinho worshipers were wanking over him and saw him as one who can do no wrong. If you look at the past posts and threads, I'm sure you'll find that while people were pleased and happy about winning the league, they still had doubts about Mourinho and his management style.

As I said online, but you wouldnt find anyone moaning around SW6.

I cannot believe the number of people here calling JT "shit" and things like that. He's not playing as good as he used to, but show some respect, for Christ's sake. It's our captain, our legend you're talking about. How dare you call him "shit"?

Bit late for that tbh. We've seen Lampard, Drogba, Mourinho and now Terry labelled 'shit'.