Oscar

themightyblue

i thought dunga said robinho was going to get called up and be captain?

I dont like the idea of Neymar being captain. What is brazil's reaction to this?

Have no idea, I don't follow the news, I just wanted to see if Oscar was going to play and came across this lineup today in the morning.

Neymar has been given the captain position regardless of Thiago Silva coming back or not. It seems Dunga also said this is a burden to be shared with many other players.

Willian and Oscar talked in the mixed zone and Dunga will play Oscar centered and Willian in the right wing and asked them to change position a few times during the match. I hope he plays Oscar right - something Felipão didn't do in the WC, but was able to prior to that - but it feels like Dunga will play the team exactly like Felipão did, except it'll be a 4-4-2

Have no idea, I don't follow the news, I just wanted to see if Oscar was going to play and came across this lineup today in the morning.

Neymar has been given the captain position regardless of Thiago Silva coming back or not. It seems Dunga also said this is a burden to be shared with many other players.

Willian and Oscar talked in the mixed zone and Dunga will play Oscar centered and Willian in the right wing and asked them to change position a few times during the match. I hope he plays Oscar right - something Felipão didn't do in the WC, but was able to prior to that - but it feels like Dunga will play the team exactly like Felipão did, except it'll be a 4-4-2

DO you think Nike/sponsors had a lot to do with the decision? I find it odd that they gave neymar the captain band, when they have a ton of veterans on the squad.

I find it truly odd that DUNGA gave it to an offensive player as well and not a midfielder or a cb.

DO you think Nike/sponsors had a lot to do with the decision? I find it odd that they gave neymar the captain band, when they have a ton of veterans on the squad.

I find it truly odd that DUNGA gave it to an offensive player as well.

tbh I don't know nor do I care.

But it's no secret Nike has a huge power in the NT. They influence (not to say decide) a lot of things. They do make those people rich, so I guess they feel entitled.

I thought Silva and Luiz deserved to be the Captain and Vice Captain as long as they are selected. Neymar not really.

Silva was one of the crying babies against Chile. Sat on the football all by himself while others rallied the players. That's never a capitain in my book.

David Luiz we know well... He can barely position himself let alone instruct others about what to do and how to proceed. He needs to be instructed, not instruct. He's better than the other Brazil CMs so I reckon he should be play there as well.

However, Neymar also does not have the personality of a leader/captain. This's just yet another area this Brazil team lacks: leadership.

The list itself is slightly better than the WC one... No Fred, Jo, Dante, and Bernard, but also other local players who have no business at this level.

-----

Unsurprisingly, Brazil is still believing in the 22-year-old star. He's got all the attributes to become a dominant player in the position. While people see his defensive abiliity as a merely "nice" albeit unnecessary trait, I think it's huge and makes him a far more rounded player in that position.

Silva was one of the crying babies against Chile. Sat on the football all by himself while others rallied the players. That's never a capitain in my book.

David Luiz we know well... He can barely position himself let alone instruct others about what to do and how to proceed. He needs to be instructed, not instruct. He's better than the other Brazil CMs so I reckon he should be play there as well.

However, Neymar also does not have the personality of a leader/captain. This's just yet another area this Brazil team lacks: leadership.

The list itself is slightly better than the WC one... No Fred, Jo, Dante, and Bernard, but also other local players who have no business at this level.

-----

Unsurprisingly, Brazil is still believing in the 22-year-old star. He's got all the attributes to become a dominant player in the position. While people see his defensive abiliity as a merely "nice" albeit unnecessary trait, I think it's huge and makes him a far more rounded player in that position.

Funny to read that you think Silva is crying babies. I thought he isn't. He showed he has a great attitude after Neymar injured and after Brazil lose to Germany.

Neymar the one who I think is more like crying babies.

As for Luiz, I am the one who hardly criticized him after Brazil defeat against Germany. Yes he might be terrible defender as a footballer, but he has a strong personality as a person.

Yes they might be not among the best Brazil captains in history, but I think both are the best option at the moment in Brazil squad.

^^ yeah maybe he can flourish in a CDM position - he's a lot better than Gustavo, Paulinho as a CM. And it could free him from the positioning responsibilities he sure struggles with.

Funny to read that you think Silva is crying babies. I thought he isn't. He showed he has a great attitude after Neymar injured and after Brazil lose to Germany.

Neymar the one who I think is more like crying babies.

As for Luiz, I am the one who hardly criticized him after Brazil defeat against Germany. Yes he might be terrible defender as a footballer, but he has a strong personality as a person.

Yes they might be not among the best Brazil captains in history, but I think both are the best option at the moment in Brazil squad.

I don't care about Silva's reaction when he did not play, when he was consoling his teammates after the trashing. I cared a lot about his reaction when it mattered most, at a crucial time against chile! The time we needed him most he failed as a leader. This is not just my opinion, but the entire country as well as Dunga's.

Funny that I see David Luiz in a very different way: his technique is superb! that freeckick goal against colombia only VERY few players are capable of. His deficiencies all lie in the mental aspects of the game. I agree he has the attitute, the right determination and aggression, but that's about it. He's very poor in positioning, tactics, attention, which limits him as a defender. It's silly to call him a terrible defender though, because then we go into the "I know better than the transfer market/world/professionals" type of thing.

I digress we should really be talking about our 22-year-old star who will very likely determine whether Brazil is a title contender or not in the coming years.

^^ yeah maybe he can flourish in a CDM position - he's a lot better than Gustavo, Paulinho as a CM. And it could free him from the positioning responsibilities he sure struggles with.

I don't care about Silva's reaction when he did not play, when he was consoling his teammates after the trashing. I cared a lot about his reaction when it mattered most, at a crucial time against chile! The time we needed him most he failed as a leader. This is not just my opinion, but the entire country as well as Dunga's.

Funny that I see David Luiz in a very different way: his technique is superb! that freeckick goal against colombia only VERY few players are capable of. His deficiencies all lie in the mental aspects of the game. I agree he has the attitute, the right determination and aggression, but that's about it. He's very poor in positioning, tactics, attention, which limits him as a defender. It's silly to call him a terrible defender though, because then we go into the "I know better than the transfer market/world/professionals" type of thing.

I digress we should really be talking about our 22-year-old star who will very likely determine whether Brazil is a title contender or not in the coming years.

I agree completely.

Your captain shouldn't sit depressed in the sidelines, refusing to even lineup with the rest of the squad as the players went to take their penalties. That was depressing, ridiculous and underwhelming. He just proved to me right then he has absolutely NO ability to lead the players because he can only lead them when things are alright. When they got difficult he abandoned his team.

Either way, you don't need (or can't count on) a captain like that. That's no captain...

I think Silva shouldnt be captain as well, even though he is brazil best player.

Neymar being captain reminds me of what Portugal did with Cristiano and to some extent argentina with messi. These guys arent really the best examples for the captain role and I think the NT sponspors had a lot to do with the decision, moreso than the manager/team. Brazil still has 4 years before the world cup, so by than hopefully one of the u23 kids will developed to be captain.

Although I understand with the reason all Brazillians disappointed of Silva when penalties take place against Chile, do you think a captain, if he think he is mentally not ready to take a penalty should take it instead and risk the team? A strongest captain is still human afterall. And Scolari who made the decision anyway, and it turn out to be succesful and Brazil advanced. Job done, I think that should be no issue there.

Or do you more appreciated him to do it, well realized he is not up to it and could missed and then Brazil might failed, rather than he admitted he is not ready to the manager, trusted the rest of team mates who is mentally more ready at that point, which one do you prefer?

Well, I thought there is no issue afterall within the Brazil dressing room after that match. Silva do the right things after that match as a captain and lead the team to beat Colombia.

About Luiz, yes no doubt he is a quite good as a FK taker, very aggresive going forward, etc. But he is, as you agree too, bad positioning, tactics, etc as a defender. Ok, might be harsh to call him terrible, but he is certainly not the best one as a defender.

What do you mean 'because then we go into the "I know better than the transfer market/world/professionals" type of thing'?

Why I get the impression you talk about 50 millions move to PSG, and the way you said it, let me ask this, do you think he is worthed 50 millions as a defender?

Although I understand with the reason all Brazillians disappointed of Silva when penalties take place against Chile, do you think a captain, if he think he is mentally not ready to take a penalty should take it instead and risk the team? A strongest captain is still human afterall. And Scolari who made the decision anyway, and it turn out to be succesful and Brazil advanced. Job done, I think that should be no issue there.

Or do you more appreciated him to do it, well realized he is not up to it and could missed and then Brazil might failed, rather than he admitted he is not ready to the manager, trusted the rest of team mates who is mentally more ready at that point, which one do you prefer?

Well, I thought there is no issue afterall within the Brazil dressing room after that match. Silva do the right things after that match as a captain and lead the team to beat Colombia.

the problem wasn't not wanting to take a penalty but abandoning the team! I have no problem with him not wanting to take a penalty, but not offering any support? Crying in the sidelines, looking melancholic and pensive while his teammates were in the lion's den? If you don't have emotional endurance to take a penalty, that's okay, but if you can't offer support, encouragement, or any sort of words for your teammates who will take the penalties you're as useless as a captain as it gets.

He was PATHETIC, the images of him looking depressed as if someone killed his puppy while the rest of the team were together, going through something very difficult are one of the most pathetic things I've watched on football - not because of him as an human being, but that's no captain. That's an okay reaction for any weak player, but weak players can't be a team's captain, let alone a NT captain.

He should never be considered even a leader to that team anymore. He should be just another player. He has a great value as a defender, he's a good guy, but weakling and it showed. I would never give him another chance as a captain because he didn't fail Brazil, or whoever that aren't his teammates. They couldn't count on him to even offer them support. He was selfish, depressing, pathetic and weak. There's a long distance between feeling emotionally strong enough to take a penalty and just being with the rest of your teammates saying a few words, or even just standing there quiet.

the problem wasn't not wanting to take a penalty but abandoning the team! I have no problem with him not wanting to take a penalty, but not offering any support? Crying in the sidelines, looking melancholic and pensive while his teammates were in the lion's den? If you don't have emotional endurance to take a penalty, that's okay, but if you can't offer support, encouragement, or any sort of words for your teammates who will take the penalties you're as useless as a captain as it gets.

He was PATHETIC, the images of him looking depressed as if someone killed his puppy while the rest of the team were together, going through something very difficult. That's an okay reaction for any weak player, but weak players can't be a team's captain, let alone a NT captain.

He should never be considered even a leader to that team anymore. He should be just another player. He has a great value as a defender, he's a good guy, but weakling and it showed. I would never give him another chance as a captain because he didn't fail Brazil, or whoever that aren't his teammates. They couldn't count on him to even offer them support. He was selfish, depressing, pathetic and weak. There's a long distance between feeling emotionally strong enough to take a penalty and just being with the rest of your teammates saying a few words, or even just standing there quiet.

Fair enough, but as I said earlier, I didn't see any issue at all in Brazil dressing room after that. Well, I am as neutral here, I fully respected you guys perspective on this matter as Brazilians.