Luke Shaw

Joker10

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I asked if you honestly think that Bertrand at 17 was as good as Shaw is now? I have to say no, and it comes down to the composure he plays with. He doesn't look overawed and if you didn't know he was 17 then you'd never guess it. Of course it's early days now but clubs don't have the luxury to sit and wait nowadays.

That has no relevant, pato at 17 was the worlds best thing and now he's muck, Gerard and lampard and terry werent anything special at 17 and they became legend of an entire generation, dosent matter when bertrand gets better or if he wasnt better then, i believe him to be better now and will be more then good enough for the job in time.

Anyway most of your post's seem like your trolling half the time anyway so im gunna leave it here.

Well it's worked out for Chamberlain, even if he uses Arsenal as a springboard. Hasn't worked out for Bale yet, but he's got interest from Real Madrid, Barcelona etc. It's not about Arsenal not winning anything it's about him actually bringing through talent, giving them a chance, and giving them the opportunity to elevate their career.

I dont rate chamberlain at all, another useless player like sturridge,wallcott, welbeck over hyped and overrated by a desperate english media and bias snobbery to the top teams.

Anyway thats fine if they want to get young talent through, but thats a feeder clubs job, if you want us to become a feeder club and bring talent through too early win nothing and sell them, then theirs a another london club much better at that in the last few years, i suggest you support them, shaw wont be ready for a long time, bertrand will be more then good enough with PVA as back up or vice versa.

I dont rate chamberlain at all, another useless player like sturridge,wallcott, welbeck over hyped and overrated by a desperate english media and bias snobbery to the top teams.

Fair play. I do believe Chamberlain is actually a very impressive talent, but you can't deny someone like Bale either?

Anyway thats fine if they want to get young talent through, but thats a feeder clubs job, if you want us to become a feeder club and bring talent through too early win nothing and sell them, then theirs a another london club much better at that in the last few years, i suggest you support them, shaw wont be ready for a long time, bertrand will be more then good enough with PVA as back up or vice versa.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not suggesting we do become a feeder club by any means. However that doesn't mean we can't bring through talent without having to wait forever. In fact, that's not even what we do. We take players from these feeder clubs, paying 2-3x what those original clubs paid for them. That's an unsustainable system if anyone ever saw.

However, I do agree that Bertrand is good enough & in PvA we've got some good potential. If Bertrand was at a club like West Ham, most of our fans would be saying we should sign him up etc. But without a doubt, Ryan Bertrand is a left-back, not a winger.

My brother played with Luke's dad for Wandsworth Town, he always brought young Luke to training and had a kick about with them. He is a huge Chelsea fan but Ashley Cole is trying to make Ryan into our next main LB so time will tell. Luke Shaw is better than Ryan Bertand imo, has more potential. Hope Ryan does well for us though.

Fair play. I do believe Chamberlain is actually a very impressive talent, but you can't deny someone like Bale either?

Bales that little bit older tho, he's 23 now and has shown he's well able to at least start tho i do think he's over hyped in the sense he's not some 100million ronaldo like player, but he is a great player and will probably get alot better.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not suggesting we do become a feeder club by any means. However that doesn't mean we can't bring through talent without having to wait forever. In fact, that's not even what we do. We take players from these feeder clubs, paying 2-3x what those original clubs paid for them. That's an unsustainable system if anyone ever saw.

However, I do agree that Bertrand is good enough & in PvA we've got some good potential. If Bertrand was at a club like West Ham, most of our fans would be saying we should sign him up etc. But without a doubt, Ryan Bertrand is a left-back, not a winger.

The system we have isnt perfect no, but what were doing with bertrand and PVA is defo the right way to do it and if bertrand only starts his 1st team career at chelsea at 25 then he'll be more then able to handle the pressure and the experience needed.Agreed on if ryan was at West ham as well. And i agree he's no winger but when you need to sit on a result for 10mins and you already got cole in LB i cant think of a better player to link up with him and help the defense while still not being particularly bad at it.

We defo shoudnt go down this direction of really young players playing or really old, a nice medium is always the way, look at tonight in the cup, alot of our younger players choked like they have done in all big games so far, bar the league ones.

• 4 weeks later...

People are judging Shaw on a couple of good performances. Right now I would take Bertrand over him in heart beat because we know he is solid in the back and that is the first thing you want from your LB. Sure Shaw has shown he can help on the attack, but has his defensive resolve been truly tested? I said this in the transfer section, Shaw is a good prospect that we should monitor until at least the end of next season when I believe Cole will be gone. Then we would have seen enough of him to make decision.

People are judging Shaw on a couple of good performances. Right now I would take Bertrand over him in heart beat because we know he is solid in the back and that is the first thing you want from your LB. Sure Shaw has shown he can help on the attack, but has his defensive resolve been truly tested? I said this in the transfer section, Shaw is a good prospect that we should monitor until at least the end of next season when I believe Cole will be gone. Then we would have seen enough of him to make decision.

You're referring to the ones against Chelsea? He was highly rated even before that..

But yes, I agree its too early to think of Shaw. We have Cole for one more season, and Bertrand is more than capable of filling in when needed.

The problem with "monitoring" is that the longer we leave it, the more likely someone else snaps him up. Bale & Walcott left Southampton around Shaw's age, which means clubs will be circling like sharks come this summer.

The problem with "monitoring" is that the longer we leave it, the more likely someone else snaps him up. Bale & Walcott left Southampton around Shaw's age, which means clubs will be circling like sharks come this summer.

But Shaw isn't the only left back out there. And apart from us fans, haven't seen too much rave reviews from others including the media about Shaw, despite his potential.

Also, funny how we have often moaned about the lack of players coming through our academy and playing in the 1st team but yet Bertrand gets discarded almost immediately because of other players when he isn't been given a proper chance and run at LB.

But Shaw isn't the only left back out there. And apart from us fans, haven't seen too much rave reviews from others including the media about Shaw, despite his potential.

Also, funny how we have often moaned about the lack of players coming through our academy and playing in the 1st team but yet Bertrand gets discarded almost immediately because of other players when he isn't been given a proper chance and run at LB.

I fully agree, I think having Bertrand at LB is a solution that works for us. I only meant to comment regarding waiting for Shaw, should the club seriously be looking at him. It's like our right-back position, we have Billy Clifford & Todd Kane, but that won't stop us chasing someone else who's having their chance at another club. Just the way it is..

He's just signed a contract till 2018 saying he's not going anywhere. When Bale and Walcott left Southampton were not in the PL. If they manage to stay up, I am sure he will stay there. What more could he hope for at this age other than regular PL football.

He's just signed a contract till 2018 saying he's not going anywhere. When Bale and Walcott left Southampton were not in the PL. If they manage to stay up, I am sure he will stay there. What more could he hope for at this age other than regular PL football.

European Football. Even if he's not a regular starter, I'd bet you he'd relish that (+ the extra 0's on his pay of course)

European Football. Even if he's not a regular starter, I'd bet you he'd relish that (+ the extra 0's on his pay of course)

What good is European football if he is not actually playing? I read quotes of his when he signed his new Southampton contract and the lad seems mature enough to realize that his best interest atm is to stay put.

What good is European football if he is not actually playing? I read quotes of his when he signed his new Southampton contract and the lad seems mature enough to realize that his best interest atm is to stay put.

But we both know how fickle players can be, especially when they're that young. Look at Scott Sinclair as prime example, from having a good set up at Swansea he opted for Manchester City both for the increase in wages and a higher level of football. He'll know that he doesn't have a shot in hell of making a regular first team contribution, as he was Johnson's direct replacement, but players are like this.

Shaw is a Chelsea supporter, but that doesn't mean he essentially wants to play for us right now. He has shown he is a level-headed young man, and he has nothing to lose by staying at Southampton. They have some very good players in their side, a good manager, and will stay up this season. He's playing every week, whereas at Chelsea if he isn't instantly good enough he'll be replaced by someone like Fabio Coentrao in a heartbeat. Best he stays where he is!

But we both know how fickle players can be, especially when they're that young. Look at Scott Sinclair as prime example, from having a good set up at Swansea he opted for Manchester City both for the increase in wages and a higher level of football. He'll know that he doesn't have a shot in hell of making a regular first team contribution, as he was Johnson's direct replacement, but players are like this.

That does seem to be the rule with footballers, but in any account, we have Ryan and Ash for next season so we don't have a place for Luke. We'll just have to wait and hope he's an exception to the rule.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You