test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Joker10

Rumoured Luke Shaw

Started by Joker10,

2,026 posts in this topic

People are judging Shaw on a couple of good performances. Right now I would take Bertrand over him in heart beat because we know he is solid in the back and that is the first thing you want from your LB. Sure Shaw has shown he can help on the attack, but has his defensive resolve been truly tested? I said this in the transfer section, Shaw is a good prospect that we should monitor until at least the end of next season when I believe Cole will be gone. Then we would have seen enough of him to make decision.

The problem with "monitoring" is that the longer we leave it, the more likely someone else snaps him up. Bale & Walcott left Southampton around Shaw's age, which means clubs will be circling like sharks come this summer.

Muzchap likes this

The problem with "monitoring" is that the longer we leave it, the more likely someone else snaps him up. Bale & Walcott left Southampton around Shaw's age, which means clubs will be circling like sharks come this summer.

But Shaw isn't the only left back out there. And apart from us fans, haven't seen too much rave reviews from others including the media about Shaw, despite his potential.

Also, funny how we have often moaned about the lack of players coming through our academy and playing in the 1st team but yet Bertrand gets discarded almost immediately because of other players when he isn't been given a proper chance and run at LB.

Kunter likes this

But Shaw isn't the only left back out there. And apart from us fans, haven't seen too much rave reviews from others including the media about Shaw, despite his potential.

Also, funny how we have often moaned about the lack of players coming through our academy and playing in the 1st team but yet Bertrand gets discarded almost immediately because of other players when he isn't been given a proper chance and run at LB.

I fully agree, I think having Bertrand at LB is a solution that works for us. I only meant to comment regarding waiting for Shaw, should the club seriously be looking at him. It's like our right-back position, we have Billy Clifford & Todd Kane, but that won't stop us chasing someone else who's having their chance at another club. Just the way it is..

He's just signed a contract till 2018 saying he's not going anywhere. When Bale and Walcott left Southampton were not in the PL. If they manage to stay up, I am sure he will stay there. What more could he hope for at this age other than regular PL football.

Stats likes this

He's just signed a contract till 2018 saying he's not going anywhere. When Bale and Walcott left Southampton were not in the PL. If they manage to stay up, I am sure he will stay there. What more could he hope for at this age other than regular PL football.

European Football. Even if he's not a regular starter, I'd bet you he'd relish that (+ the extra 0's on his pay of course)

European Football. Even if he's not a regular starter, I'd bet you he'd relish that (+ the extra 0's on his pay of course)

What good is European football if he is not actually playing? I read quotes of his when he signed his new Southampton contract and the lad seems mature enough to realize that his best interest atm is to stay put.

What good is European football if he is not actually playing? I read quotes of his when he signed his new Southampton contract and the lad seems mature enough to realize that his best interest atm is to stay put.

But we both know how fickle players can be, especially when they're that young. Look at Scott Sinclair as prime example, from having a good set up at Swansea he opted for Manchester City both for the increase in wages and a higher level of football. He'll know that he doesn't have a shot in hell of making a regular first team contribution, as he was Johnson's direct replacement, but players are like this.

Muzchap likes this

Shaw is a Chelsea supporter, but that doesn't mean he essentially wants to play for us right now. He has shown he is a level-headed young man, and he has nothing to lose by staying at Southampton. They have some very good players in their side, a good manager, and will stay up this season. He's playing every week, whereas at Chelsea if he isn't instantly good enough he'll be replaced by someone like Fabio Coentrao in a heartbeat. Best he stays where he is!

But we both know how fickle players can be, especially when they're that young. Look at Scott Sinclair as prime example, from having a good set up at Swansea he opted for Manchester City both for the increase in wages and a higher level of football. He'll know that he doesn't have a shot in hell of making a regular first team contribution, as he was Johnson's direct replacement, but players are like this.

That does seem to be the rule with footballers, but in any account, we have Ryan and Ash for next season so we don't have a place for Luke. We'll just have to wait and hope he's an exception to the rule.

He is 17, he should be at least 22 to get regular spot here and that is 5! years from now!!!

He has brilliant team in Southampton to evolve and he is Chelsea fan. English as well. In few years, I would take him in a heart beat, but not yet. He is way too young and we still have Cole.

Why not sign him and loan him straight back to soton ala zaha.2 years at soton and after that cole would have most certainly left the club and bertrand and shaw can fight for the left back spot.The form of PVA will also be a factor though if he continues his good form he might comeback as well.I also feel we must play bertrand a lot more at Lb to see whether he can became a full time starter right now he is not getting enough playnig time in his favoured position.I still think after cole leaves the Lb spot of chelsea will be up for grabs and anyone out of PVA,bertrand and shaw(If we do sign him) can take it depending on who performs the best.I would also not rule out a big name signing like coentrao in the future.

Leif and Muzchap like this

Why not sign him and loan him straight back to soton ala zaha.2 years at soton and after that cole would have most certainly left the club and bertrand and shaw can fight for the left back spot.The form of PVA will also be a factor though if he continues his good form he might comeback as well.I also feel we must play bertrand a lot more at Lb to see whether he can became a full time starter right now he is not getting enough playnig time in his favoured position.I still think after cole leaves the Lb spot of chelsea will be up for grabs and anyone out of PVA,bertrand and shaw(If we do sign him) can take it depending on who performs the best.I would also not rule out a big name signing like coentrao in the future.

Because he would be marked as "chelsea player on loan" and these dont end well ;)

In two years he will be 19, he must stay away until 21 and then slowly get involved in our team (if he ever comes here)

If PVA continues his good form with Vitesse, and wanting to stay one more season on loan until Cole leaves, in 2014 Luke Shaw will be forgotten about.

Strike likes this

Because he would be marked as "chelsea player on loan" and these dont end well ;)

In two years he will be 19, he must stay away until 21 and then slowly get involved in our team (if he ever comes here)

Which rulebook says that he has to stay away till 21?If he is performing well then irrespective of his age he should be given a chance to fight for his place.Its not like we have a 25 year old world class left back available to us right now that he will struggle for playing time.The amount of gametime bertrand is getting will hardly take his game to the next level and by the time cole leaves i can see shaw(if he comes) and bertrand/PVA fighting for the lb position with shaw imo beating the competition and making lb spot his own.

"Chelsea want Luke Shaw to succeed Ashley Cole as their first-choice left back after opening talks over a summer move.

Sportsmail can reveal the Blues had a £10million offer for the England Under 21 international rejected by Southampton in January."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2284192/Chelsea-set-land-10m-Southampton-teenager-Luke-Shaw-replace-Ashley-Cole.html

So much for wanting to see a player from our own academy playing in the 1st team...

Could Bertrand be world-class? He's 23 years old, played in 200 league games and has 2 England caps and I'm still not sure.

Shaw on the other hand looks special at 17.

Mufassir08 likes this