Ruben Loftus-Cheek

Tobey Gibson

Roy Hodgson hopes Ross Barkley’s £15million move to Chelsea can boost Crystal Palace’s chances of signing loan star Ruben Loftus-Cheek permanently, according to reports in the Daily Mail.

The England international has been a revelation during his loan spell from Stamford Bridge and the former England boss hopes the 22-year-old will make the move to Selhurst Park on a permanent basis.

"The way Ruben's been playing for us, he's a player we'd like to have at our club, there's no doubt about that," Hodgson said.

"But it’s far too early to ask me that question – I didn't know until this morning that Ross Barkley is possibly signing for Chelsea. Ruben's a player we like very much, we're very impressed with him, delighted with the way he's developed as a player during the time he's been here.

"I'm pretty sure that if he's ever available for sale, we would certainly be in there with our hand up as one of the potential buyers. But it could well be that Chelsea would like to have both Ross Barkley and Ruben Loftus-Cheek in their team. I wouldn't mind both in my team, anyway."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You can't tell me that the likes of RLC and Van Ginkel could have been any worse this season than Bakayoko and Drinkwater.

If we had shown a bit of faith in using some of the players already on our books, we could have used last summer's transfer budget on, say, 3 top players rather than it being spread over half a dozen.

If we had midfielders that were both good enough and stayed fit this season it could have been so different. It seemed early on that Conte wanted to move the team towards a 3-5-2 formation. It worked perfectly against Atletico and would have given us a different option to use rather than become predictable and one dimensional. This just has not been possible this season when we've only really had Fabregas and Kante fit throughout the season.

You can't tell me that the likes of RLC and Van Ginkel could have been any worse this season than Bakayoko and Drinkwater.
If we had shown a bit of faith in using some of the players already on our books, we could have used last summer's transfer budget on, say, 3 top players rather than it being spread over half a dozen.
If we had midfielders that were both good enough and stayed fit this season it could have been so different. It seemed early on that Conte wanted to move the team towards a 3-5-2 formation. It worked perfectly against Atletico and would have given us a different option to use rather than become predictable and one dimensional. This just has not been possible this season when we've only really had Fabregas and Kante fit throughout the season.
I'd rate Pasalic above all of them and he probably still won't get a look in. Around 2 whole squad out on loan with no first team action in sight.

47 minutes ago, LAM09 said:
1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I'd rate Pasalic above all of them and he probably still won't get a look in. Around 2 whole squad out on loan with no first team action in sight.

I would love to see a manager come in and tap into this pool. There has to be 4-5 players either on loan or within our current youth set up who can be integrated into the first team squad. They don't need to be coming in and being expected to start the majority of games but need to be trusted to come in and do a job when called upon and given enough games to flourish and develop. I think back to the Spurs game this season where Conte put faith in playing Christensen. That set him up then for the rest of the season and he has been trusted ever since. We need to be bringing in more like this.

That would allow us to cull a number of players from our current squad to change the style, formation, etc to suit a new manager, and allow us to concentrate this summer's budget on 3-4 signings which will significantly improve our starting XI.