Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham

BlueLion.

'They don't have a problem playing together. Didier is moving very well, not just in the box but also outside. He is doing fantastic assists for his team mates and for this reason I don't think they will have a problem playing together.'

I think Carlo is going to keep same 4-3-3 formation but play Drogba on the right instead of Kalou, and Torres in the middle. At least that's what he seems like he's hinting at. And even against West Ham, all of Drogba's best moments came when he was in wider positions.

If we keep 4-3-3 then I don't mind one bit playing both Drogba and Torres. It was never that Drogba and Torres can't play together, the problem was that they can't form a strike partnership. Cause every time they played together we had to change formation, if we can avoid that, then I think we can do a lot of damage. Drogba has shown himself as easily the best crosser during open play with both feet. I think it's definitely worth a chance, maybe not against Spurs cause I don't see Drogba tracking back and helping on Bale, unless Ramires is fit, then maybe we can cope on the right side.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where`s your hometown?

Lol Toronto, Canada.

I think Carlo is going to keep same 4-3-3 formation but play Drogba on the right instead of Kalou, and Torres in the middle. At least that's what he seems like he's hinting at. And even against West Ham, all of Drogba's best moments came when he was in wider positions.

If we keep 4-3-3 then I don't mind one bit playing both Drogba and Torres. It was never that Drogba and Torres can't play together, the problem was that they can't form a strike partnership. Cause every time they played together we had to change formation, if we can avoid that, then I think we can do a lot of damage. Drogba has shown himself as easily the best crosser during open play with both feet.

Either way, the diamond does not work for us. Slows down the ball movement and by the time we push forward, the defense has already locked us down.

Either way, the diamond does not work for us. Slows down the ball movement and by the time we push forward, the defense has already locked us down.

Never said we should switch to the diamond. :S

The whole post was mentioning Drogba's inclusion on the right side of a 4-3-3 (in place of Kalou).

The whole post was mentioning Drogba's inclusion on the right side of a 4-3-3 (in place of Kalou).

I know, just taking note.

It may work if Torres is clearly the middle striker and Drogba is happy to stay wide and roam behind Torres.

Think there was a reason why Torres played so well in his cameo today-coming on FOR Drogba rather than to play with him was a big factor. Torres seemed more at ease. I think when he's on the pitch with Drobga, he tends to withdraw and then he can't play his natural game. And look how instinctive he was with his goal, that's a pure striker there. Defenders, water puddles and he calmly readjusted to shoot with his left (he's very righted footed). You want Torres in his happy element, then he produces. From what we've seen so far, I don't think he is in his happy place with Drogba on the pitch. If that's the case, as much as I love Torres, I'd rather he come on as a sub for Drogba against Tottenham.

If we're going to play Drogba and Torres, either play 4-4-2 with two wingers (ie. Malouda and Kalou) but not the Diamond, or play 4-3-3 with Drogba wide right, and Malouda on the left. That's the only way it'll work, because we need natural width.

I don't think they're similar at all. Drogba playing out wide and Torres on the shoulder of the last defender might work when playing on the counter-attack.

Too much sense for Carlo to do it through.

He might either put Torres in midfeild or the Righ Wing :rolleyes:

Just noticed, i make one joke about Torres and his scoring record and he goes and scores :blink:

I think they're similar in style. Drogba has more to his game in wider areas but it's not his best position, obviously. I personally don't like him being played wide, it takes away so much from his natural game and throws our attack off balance. He's better off as the focal point upfront but unfortunately the dearth of wingers in the squad forces him to come short or run the channels. Torres doesn't have the brute power of Drogba but is surprisingly strong he is extremely brave and doesn't shy away from putting his head and leg in where it hurts.

We're better off playing one or the other as the centre forward, I think the two of them together fail to become greater than the sum of their parts, which is essentially what you're looking for in a lethal strike partnership.

Play one or the other, they're too similar to be out on the pitch together. I'd stick with 4-3-3, Ramires for Essien being the only change.

Agree. Both players are at their best in the lone/main striker role up front. No reason to force players in unfamiliar roles in the starting line-up.

I have already said this, Give Drogba the free role with Torres as the CF, results will come. Right now Drogba does not look to score, He is making lots of assists and keeping other players in play. (the pass to Ashley Cole for the first goal was class). Lampard and Terry should have scored from Drogba's pass and free kick.

So I fancy a MALOUDA----TORRES------Drogba attack. with Ramires in for Essien if he wont recover from the injury in time.

I think they're similar in style. Drogba has more to his game in wider areas but it's not his best position, obviously. I personally don't like him being played wide, it takes away so much from his natural game and throws our attack off balance. He's better off as the focal point upfront but unfortunately the dearth of wingers in the squad forces him to come short or run the channels. Torres doesn't have the brute power of Drogba but is surprisingly strong he is extremely brave and doesn't shy away from putting his head and leg in where it hurts.

We're better off playing one or the other as the centre forward, I think the two of them together fail to become greater than the sum of their parts, which is essentially what you're looking for in a lethal strike partnership.

Drogba - Strength, Skill, Mean Right Foot, Air ability, and one powerhouse motherfucker!

Torres - Quick, Strong, Air Ability, Composed and Brilliant Technique!

Drogba has all the prowess, imo, to be an excellent edition of a winger. His crossing ability, which he has shown in open play in some matches, Bolton at ReeBok the 1-0 win with Anelka getting the goal which was either this season or last was/is a brilliant example. He looks up and just slots the ball in. He could use his skill to get pass the left-back easily and get into deadly positions and send the ball in where Torres can knick in one goal. Or, he can trotter in using the same technique sometimes and feed in a through ball on the odd occasion.

Drogba has a more of threat on the wing then Anelka or Kalou due to his reputation and the fact that he has the amazing ability to make something and everything out of nothing on his day. Are you telling me that having Drogba making an attack from a simple pass from Paulo on the wing from about 50 yards out, pressed to shit, and simply fly by them trolling down like Billy-o and then crossing in a deadly ball into a calm and composed Nando's head isn't a delightful oppertunity?

We don't have to use it 24/7, we can probably try it for the second half of the Tottenham game based on the result or leave it for Newcastle and Everton based on the Spuds and Man Ure result and the title picture. It is a shame, imo, that we don't even take the oppertunity to make something like this happen and instead, give Nando bench time or use Drogba's 'machine time' up.

I think we could play a 4-1-3-2 if used properly also:

Mikel

Ramires -- Lampard -- Malouda

Drogba -- Anelka

Torres

With Ramires and Malouda as wingers, and Drogba and Anelka as second-strikers, but Drogba playing off Torres or something. It isn't the fact they are 'too similiar', it is down to the fact we have a manager that doesn't have the right mind-set to venture out and risk new technique's in order to find the solution, imo.

Brilliant Technique!

I'm sorry but I had to comment on this alone. Briliant Technique? Not even in his best days did he possess great technique. Drogba beats him in terms of technique, easily. Anelka's technique is better than Torres' too.

I'm sorry but I had to comment on this alone. Briliant Technique? Not even in his best days did he possess great technique. Drogba beats him in terms of technique, easily. Anelka's technique is better than Torres' too.

Yes, Torres' technique, like his first touch is maddeningly inconsistent. It's also why he struggles with Spain's game. I've thought this for awhile, if his technique was very good, not even great, he would be up there with Messi and Ronaldo. He's a fantastic athlete with a great nose for the goal but is slightly limited technically. Though this is in comparison to his Spanish teammates, Messi, Ronaldo, Dutch superstars, etc. He's still able to do things many in the PL can only dream about.