Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'll just come out and say it: I'm not a big fan of this signing, or potential signing as it were. We're likely to pay too much for a player that quite possibly is not PL ready. I've watched Willian in the CL for a couple years now, a small sample size I'll admit, and I've seen him play a couple blinders. Overall though, he seems to have great flair, but not the substance to match. Like I said, this is only a small sample size and probably doesn't tell the whole story. I don't think this is the worst possible signing, but just not a fan of it. There is one area where I have not questioned AVB once, and that is his ability to evaluate talent in the transfer market.

People seem to be forgetting that Willian was part of a Shakhtar Donetsk side that not only won a Europa League (UEFA Cup as it was called in 2009) but also got to a Champions League quarter final... yes they lost to Barcelona during that year, but they did play an untouchable Barcelona side, and had they have not played them and played someone else, they would have probably made it a lot further than that... possibly a semi-final!

Willian will settle in well with us. We have Ramires and Luiz whom he knows really well... it's all about the player's desire to play for us as well.. I like to hear about players taking an admiration for us and wanting to be part of the club's future. Players like Essien showed that desire when he first joined the club, and he's turned into a cult hero to some Chelsea fans... I'm excited about this signing because hopefully, it will be the answer to all of our players and he will help to improve our creativity! If Willian is hungry to play for us, then we should be hungry to take him on... that's the way I see it!

I want us to sign Eden Hazard as much as the next person does.. but I doubt it'll happen for obvious reasons.. one of them being, that Lille will probably hold out for as much money for him as possible, meaning that we will be priced out of a move.. for example, I would see us trying to bid around £29m for him, when Lille are holding out for something ridiculous like £40m. The other reason, is that come the summer, if Hazard is STILL at Lille, we won't be the front-runners to sign him because Real Madrid would probably outmuscle us, and if they're not interested in him, we've still got Barcelona and Man City to contest with as well..

... the third reason, and probably the most crucial one, is his feeling... there's a difference... Willian is keen to join us... Hazard hasn't even specified anything

I have to agree, Chelsea fans can be very arrogant sometimes.

Shakhtar might have agreed to it as it would have possibly increased their player's value by alot, which means they make more money. Plus Chelsea could have given some player to Shakhtar on loan/makeweight if wanted.

Its not arrogance in any way. It was arrogance when we kept bidding for Modric even though Levy said he wasnt for sale, starting at 20 mill and ending up at 45 mill. That was arrogance. Mine was merely a sitiational assumption and suggestion to lower risk to the least possible amount.

Shakhtar might have agreed to it as it would have possibly increased their player's value by alot, which means they make more money. Plus Chelsea could have given some player to Shakhtar on loan/makeweight if wanted.

Its not arrogance in any way. It was arrogance when we kept bidding for Modric even though Levy said he wasnt for sale, starting at 20 mill and ending up at 45 mill. That was arrogance. Mine was merely a sitiational assumption and suggestion to lower risk to the least possible amount.

No, it wouldn't. If Willian comes to us for half a season, becomes a fan favourite and scores goals, he's going to want to stay at Chelsea, he will refuse to go back to Shaktar and that puts Chelsea at an advantage. On the other hand, Willian could be terrible for us, and we won't want him to join permanently at the end of the loan. Therefore, Shaktar would have lost arguably one of their best players for half a season for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't make any sense from their point of view. Of course it would help Chelsea, but realistically, its never going to happen.

I like Willian i think he has bundles of potential like what Nani had when he joined Man utd. He has blistering acceleration he is also very tricky and he would add a lot to our side. He can also play behind the strikers, Mata would finally be able to play through the middle too !

Shakhtar has said that they would take less than the asking price for Chelsea, and only Chelsea, due to our good relationship with them. And the fact that Willian is keen on the move. Source.

The way Shakhtar has handled this situation is admirable.

Shakhtar has said that they would take less than the asking price for Chelsea, and only Chelsea, due to our good relationship with them. And the fact that Willian is keen on the move. Source.

The way Shakhtar has handled this situation is admirable.

All about mates rates eh roman! I lol

'As far as I know negotiations are continuing. The €20m offered by Chelsea, I think, does not correspond to the level of this player. Accoring to information we see on the internet, for Hazard the offer is €30m to €35m. I don't think that Willian is weaker - in some aspects he is even stronger than Hazard.'

:blink: