What Did You Get For Xmas?

James

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I profess to be the world's worst Catholic. I drink, I've smoked, and I believe in contraception :lol: Doesn't stop me from believing that there was a guy called Jesus Christ who was born on Christmas Day. It certainly works, doesn't it. You'd have thought the guys who made the Julian Calendar made a massive sigh of relief, imagine their embarrassment if he'd have been born on Boxing Day!

I don't believe in Jesus being the Son of God. I think he was a nutter who went around telling people he was the Son of God. But I also think he was an idealist who stood up for himself in a period of fear and reverence, a man echoed by Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mother Theresa. I think he went around preaching some pretty good ideas which we all somehow conform to.

So I celebrate this day.

Not necessarily because just of Jesus Christ. But because Christmas is what I refer as the exocentric holiday. People come together - family and friends, and that is what is the best Christmas present. I live my life by a song lyric, which I agree sounds pretty laughable. But "You've got to tell them that you love them while you've got the chance to say, you have to live like you're dying." There's no better chance to do that than at Christmas.

Presents, turkey, alcohol, chocolate - brilliant! But family and friends - that's a proper Heaven-send. That's what I believe in. Everyone's happy and in a good mood (even the grumpy Grandad's secretly enjoying himself in his armchair). People look forward to it all year-round. On the other hand, birthday's are self-indulgent and egocentric. "Its all about me!" Whereas Christmas is about everybody else. It divides the selfish from the selfless, and it brings together the people we love.

I say: Christmas fucking rocks!

I profess to be the world's worst Catholic. I drink, I've smoked, and I believe in contraception :lol: Doesn't stop me from believing that there was a guy called Jesus Christ who was born on Christmas Day. It certainly works, doesn't it. You'd have thought the guys who made the Julian Calendar made a massive sigh of relief, imagine their embarrassment if he'd have been born on Boxing Day!

I don't believe in Jesus being the Son of God. I think he was a nutter who went around telling people he was the Son of God. But I also think he was an idealist who stood up for himself in a period of fear and reverence, a man echoed by Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King Jr. and Mother Theresa. I think he went around preaching some pretty good ideas which we all somehow conform to.

So I celebrate this day.

Not necessarily because just of Jesus Christ. But because Christmas is what I refer as the exocentric holiday. People come together - family and friends, and that is what is the best Christmas present. I live my life by a song lyric, which I agree sounds pretty laughable. But "You've got to tell them that you love them while you've got the chance to say, you have to live like you're dying." There's no better chance to do that than at Christmas.

Presents, turkey, alcohol, chocolate - brilliant! But family and friends - that's a proper Heaven-send. That's what I believe in. Everyone's happy and in a good mood (even the grumpy Grandad's secretly enjoying himself in his armchair). People look forward to it all year-round. On the other hand, birthday's are self-indulgent and egocentric. "Its all about me!" Whereas Christmas is about everybody else. It divides the selfish from the selfless, and it brings together the people we love.

I say: Christmas fucking rocks!

amen.

I profess to be the world's worst Catholic. I drink, I've smoked, and I believe in contraception :lol:

Man, you can't say that... If it's the Bible itself who prohibits all those things, then you can say you're the worst Catholic... But if it's the Vatican and the Popes who prohibit those things, then don't worry, you're not the worst Catholic... If you want to be a 'good' Catholic, then just do what the Bible says and act in the way which you think is the righteous way. Don't believe and follow those men who have killed, robbed and blinded thousand and thousand of people for years...

Peace.