Is Anelka past his best?

I keep thinking to myself after seeing his performance against Everton last weekend! I don't think we're getting the best out of him at the moment. He's beginning to see the shadow of his former self. Would you say it was time for someone fresher to replace him in the future! I just think he's past his sell by date!!

I was listening to Andy Gray just now on Monday Night Football. He reckons that Chelsea haven't refreshed the squad enough, and that Bosingwa remains the only real player in the last 6 years we've bought that has played regularly (not the last 6 years)

I think this is worth a few people discussing this....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-_-

Just a little over a month ago nearly everyone was singing praises of Anelka, saying how consistent he's been. Now we're going through a rough patch he's turned into enemy #1. Anelka has been better than Drogba recently. I know Drog's had malaria but everyone in the team has been playing bad. Even Malouda and Cole. Anelka & Ramires are the ones being singled out though.

Let's wait till we get out of this "rough patch" and see how he's doing then huh? :)

well may be that is not the right question , may be it should be : should anelka be our pacy , tricky and creative winger ??

and my answer to that question will be absolutely not.

anelka is not past his best and if we were playing with 2 strikers i would have been glad to have him around but as long as we are playing a 4-3-3 formation he shouldn't be in the starting line up .

As a support striker/winger yes! As a Central striker NO! It's not half obvious that the year Nico got the Golden Boot was the same year Drogba was injured and fell out of favour with the gaffa. If Nico is up front i believe he is a more Clinical finisher inside the box then Drogba. But Drogba is the kind of player who can pop up anywhere, and score from just about any place on the field. I would love to see Anelka back to his scoring days but at what price? Drogba on the wing? Won't happen.....

As a support striker/winger yes! As a Central striker NO! It's not half obvious that the year Nico got the Golden Boot was the same year Drogba was injured and fell out of favour with the gaffa. If Nico is up front i believe he is a more Clinical finisher inside the box then Drogba. But Drogba is the kind of player who can pop up anywhere, and score from just about any place on the field. I would love to see Anelka back to his scoring days but at what price? Drogba on the wing? Won't happen.....

I agree with you that Anelka is a better finisher than Drogba. He is the best finisher at the club by a long distance. However he has started to drop deeper into midfield and is ineffective in these areas which is a real problem. Malouda sometimes gets into better goalscoring positions and he's a winger. I think Anelka needs to start playing more like a right forward as opposed to a right sided attacking midfielder. Stay upfield more and play on the last shoulder of the defenders because he has the pace and finishing ability to score more goals. Either the instructions he is getting or the way he wants to play is not working for him or for the team.

Anelka is past his prime, I would say - I think we were lucky enough in 2008/09 to see him at his absolute best. That being said, he is still a very, very good footballer and in my view perfect for this team. He is simply VERY tired, he's had to play a lot more games than I think he will have expected to have by this stage.

I love how people think that cause we are having a bad time, they think it's ok to change their minds and say he or someone else is 'past it' just because we are not playing well at a precise moment. Fucking hilarious. LOSERS.

He has already scored 10 goals this year. Nico goes through spells like this. He has had it in every season he has been with us. A spell of a couple of months when he just doesn't score. I'm sure he'll get back to his best sometime soon as will the whole team. Just need a bit of luck to kickstar the season again.