Is Anelka past his best?

Anelka is past his prime, I would say - I think we were lucky enough in 2008/09 to see him at his absolute best. That being said, he is still a very, very good footballer and in my view perfect for this team. He is simply VERY tired, he's had to play a lot more games than I think he will have expected to have by this stage.

True statement, but you have to look at his age to consider the facts. At some point in time, we are going to have to buy a decent striker to replace him. Carlo can't go all out and say "we won't buy anyone in January." Looking at our form of late, you can state quite clearly that we do need to buy someone. There are plenty of decent names out there, "Aguero, Benzema (although he has regained some form at Madrid), Tevez (might want to return to his family in Argentina), Neymar, Lukaku"

Drogba however, may be 32, but I still believe he's the best striker in the Premiership, not just because he scores goals, but because he has the strength to hold off players and go for goal, and he's been here long enough to bond with the other long-term players. The bottom line is, it's players like him (as well as Lampard, Terry, Essien) that attract other top names to our club, because everyone praises him for who he is... a prolific goalscorer.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nic is a very good player, technically proficient and versatile and a valuable member of the squad and while he offers something playing on the right wing, I just think we need something different.

Too many times he comes inside, too many times he drops deep, too many times he walks around with the ball at his feet as if he were taking a stroll through a public park in Paris. I'd love to se us sign a dynamic, fast right winger who can take on a man and whip in a cross, I really think thats the sort of player we should be looking for in January.

Anelka is a top class player, and like what has been said, he is just tired. And, that's is where Kakuta/Sturridge should be used in order to give the guy a break.

You have to remember, that when he joined Arsenal he started as a winger and then Wenger started to use him as a forward. Maybe that could be the reason why he hasn't been defending the right side as it should, nor why he was deep. He is simply the best finisher we have, Borini and Sturridge i think are the only ones with the potential to have the same skill at finishing like him. I hope he is given a rest soon so he can start a goalscoring streak and show the doubters here is still a big part to a small depth team.