Arnesen to join Hamburg as sporting director

chrismada9

Frank Arnesen has spoken exclusively to Chelsea TV following his decision to step down as sporting director.

The former Danish international talked about how his role at the club has developed over the last five-and-a-half years, how he came to make the difficult decision and his plans for the future.

You've announced your intention to step down, how difficult a decision was that to make?

Those decisions are always very difficult, especially because I have been here for a long time and I have enjoyed every minute. In the last three or four months I have been going in that direction and I also thought it was the right time to do it, to give me time but also the club time to do their organisation for the end of the season.

Winning the FA Youth Cup, that must have given you and the club a real sense of achievement.

We were nearly there two years ago and I thought we had a very talented team and we lost. So we know how it is to come so far. I always said since I joined English football, the FA Youth Cup is probably the best youth tournament. You play in a stadium and it's on television. It gives the young players and staff a feeling of what it is like to be at the highest level, to be in the League. We had a good draw because we played the last game at home. If you can do that and win, it is fantastic.

How excited should Chelsea fans be for the future?

They should be very excited. Since I came here five years ago, not only the players who have come in but also the staff who have come in to train them are at such a high level. I say that because I see it every day and it is some of the best around.

How do you measure that? You measure that every week by the way we are playing. I am here every Sunday if I can be and I watch Under 9s, Under 10s etc. and I have seen progress over the past few years.

It is not just that we are winning games but the way we have started to play football. We have a new system, a new philosophy; and you can see the players and the coaches, they have everything under control. You see players who are 12, 13, 14 years old and the way they play football is marvellous.

This season we have seen a number of your young players breaking through into Carlo Ancelotti's first team. That must give you a real sense of achievement.

First of all you need quality. The players have become very good talents. Secondly, Carlo has to adjust them but also believe in them, and he is doing that because they are good enough.

Last year they were between numbers 25 and 29 in the squad, they were more or less on stand-by. These were players training and learning from people like Didier Drogba, which is very important. Then, this year, they were in the 25-man squad.

They still have a lot to learn but for me one of the special moments was against Zilina. I was not happy when we went 1-0 down, it was very important that we win the game, but I was so happy to see the players playing very well in the second half, showing good mentality and getting the result.

Your passion is very contagious around the club. What's next for Frank Arnesen?

Always in my head, it is always like I want to be challenged. I have been challenged here enormously. 1 It is like mission completed with what I was asked for five-and-a-half years ago.

I don't know what I am going to do. For me the most important thing is the challenge. I have to do something which I believe in.

What would you say is your defining moment here at Chelsea?

It is always difficult because I am fortunate to be involved with a fantastic club with some fantastic people and also because I have been involved in a lot of areas.

One thing I always love is the moment when a player and parents see his name on a contract for Chelsea, because it is a heck of a job. We have competition all over the world and when we get kids signing who we believe in, they gives us a chance and we give them a chance to be part of Chelsea. That is always a great moment.

Also last year, when you win the Premier League, you win the FA Cup and the FA Youth Cup, it's not something that happens very often so you have to be very pleased and I was there for those three trophies.

You can see more of the exclusive interview with Arnesen on CTV Online now.

Interesting interview, I maintain that that part1 is PR bull.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Man City want Chelsea youth chief Arnesen

Manchester City want to keep Chelsea’s departing director of football Frank Arnesen in England – raising doubts about Brian Marwood’s long-term future at Eastlands.

Arnesen, 54, will leave Stamford Bridge at the end of the season and was being lined up to become Ajax’s new head of recruitment.

But sources in Denmark claim that he is now listening to an “interesting” offer from City. Arnesen would not contemplate anything other than a senior role.

Marwood oversees player recruitment at City, alongside chief executive Garry Cook. But the pair were criticised by Carlos Tevez when he put in a transfer request before deciding he wanted to stay at the club.

They love anyone linked with us don't they? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So is Txiki still supposedly gonna be his replacement? I can't see it happening. I think we will be left in the shit with some nobody or perhaps a promotion to someone like the Wilkins situation.

Fucking knew it! Steve Rowley? Oh dear!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8321160/Chelsea-want-Arsenal-chief-scout-Steve-Rowley-to-replace-Frank-Arnesen-as-Roman-Abramovich-reboots-club.html

Have they? I mean appart from Nasri and that twat they stole from Barcelona I can't say I'm impressed with who they've scouted.

Van Persie & Vermaelen? Not to mention the likes of Henry, Eduardo (pre-Injury), Ramsay. Ect.

But their English contenders too, Gibbs, Wilshere et al.

Van Persie & Vermaelen? Not to mention the likes of Henry, Eduardo (pre-Injury), Ramsay. Ect.

But their English contenders too, Gibbs, Wilshere et al.

Henry is pre-history. Van Persie is made of glass and if his gets more than 70k per week he's been a terrible signing for them considering his injury record. I don't rate Gibbs and I'm not particularly impressed with Vermaelen who along with Wilshere could be just an exception to the rule. I mean how many terrible CBs did they have before they hit a gold vein in Vermaelen?

Wilshere could well be a "statistical mistake" like McEachran for Chelsea (or even Terry back in the day).

Henry is pre-history. Van Persie is made of glass and if his gets more than 70k per week he's been a terrible signing for them considering his injury record. I don't rate Gibbs and I'm not particularly impressed with Vermaelen who along with Wilshere could be just an exception to the rule. I mean how many terrible CBs did they have before they hit a gold vein in Vermaelen?

Wilshere could well be a "statistical mistake" like McEachran for Chelsea (or even Terry back in the day).

:lol: well that just took apart all my beliefs! Haha

But I agree about Henry and Van Persie (though when he's on form, he really is sensational!). Gibbs is good, he hasn't played much ahead of Clichy but I've heard some positive things about him. Van Aanholt is probably better though :whistling: