New goalkeeper

Wilson

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interesting one isn't it? We need a new, capable backup, that's for sure. But we're going to find it very difficult to find one. We already have Delac, Walker and Taylor waiting in the wings. If we bring in a young GK, it is going to interfere with the progress of these guys. Which means ideally we would want someone who's a good 8-10 years older than the likes of Delac and Taylor. But at he same time he's got to be good enough to keep Cech on his toes yet remain content in the knowledge that he is going to play second fiddle to one of the top 5 GKs in the world. It's going to be really difficult to find someone who fits this profile. If only we had held on to Cudicini ...

Tim Hildebrand is out of contract at Sporting in the summer so I think we should try and get him in on a free transfer.

We had this debate with Asenjo. We need a quality back-up to Cech for two reasons - 1, to keep Cech on his toes and 2, because Hilario and Fumble really aren't good enough to be number twos.

As far as I'm concerned, we should try and sign Federico Marchetti because he'd be relatively cheap coming from Cagliari.

Tim Hildebrand is out of contract at Sporting in the summer so I think we should try and get him in on a free transfer.

We had this debate with Asenjo. We need a quality back-up to Cech for two reasons - 1, to keep Cech on his toes and 2, because Hilario and Fumble really aren't good enough to be number twos.

As far as I'm concerned, we should try and sign Federico Marchetti because he'd be relatively cheap coming from Cagliari.

Hildebrand doesn't want to be a number two. That's why he fell out at Valencia and why his contract was cancelled.

LOL @ suggesting Marchetti, Neuer, Mandanda, Adler, and Lloris. They are all excellent goalkeepers. They all play first team football every week. They don't want to sit on our bench. They shant be coming here.

Back up goalkeepers are the likes of Carlo, Pleitikosa, Begovic, or of course, younger goalkeepers. They're the sort of targets we'd be having. Asenjo is an interesting one. Very talented, and has fallen to number two at Atletico because of De Gea.

The problem has been there since last year,some thought Turnbull was good enough but he never was.If Hilario wasn't injured he would probably play and perform better.They both are decent #3 choices but not capable of being #2,that's precisely why we went for Begovic,Stoke may have rejected us but I won't be surprised if we try again in January.

I've mentioned this a dozen times but people keep forgetting that Hilario's contract runs out in June and he will leave,Delac will return from his loan to Vitesse and take his place.

The problem is you are not going to get a top quality keeper as back up, thats just the way it is - and if you do, they won't be happy with the situation for long. Our best hope is for Taylor and Delac to have good loan spells and then come back ready to push Cech. Sam Walker is another good prospect, however they are all still very young, doubly so for Keepers.

It is clear that we have not been able to sign someone who is willing to sit on the bench for 99% of the season. Delac and Taylor could be numbers 2 & 3 keepers but the question is how long is it going to take to get to that point. At least another season after this i would think.

Like Esk said. It's hard to find a top notch goal keeper who's basically going to sit on the bench to Cech and give him competition at the same time. That's why we must trust in Walker, Sabek and Delac. Because these guys are already at the club and Delac sounds like a great keeper already. All we can do is hope they keep improving and eventually break through to succeed Turnbull/Hilario & perhaps Cech!

We bought Cech when he was 22 and relatively unknown. Much like Delac. I'm sure Cech thought he would be 2nd to Cudicini but he eventually went on to succeed him. Maybe Delac is history repeating itself?

The club has handled the Goalkeeper situation poorly.

They loaned Delac to Vitesse where he has so far played exactly 0 minutes and loaned Taylor to Crewe effectively leaving us with two #3 and a yougnish Walker who's playing in the reserves,maybe they hoped Stoke would give in but they didn't.

Yeah, we need a goalkeeper. I'd like that it was an experienced keeper, with quality and that he wouldn't mind staying in the bench during most matches.

And where will we find a keeper like that? No experienced keeper with quality will accept he's a bench warmer & thus won't sign