John Obi Mikel could he play CB?

Jose M

Could Mikel play CB? if needed?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Could Mikel play CB? if needed?

• Yes?
    • No?
    • Shut-up It would be a waste of talent?

Iv been very impressed by Obi this season and ill be the first to admit i doubted his ability for a long time. Was just thinking IF just IF he was willing wouldnt he make a good CB, he wouldnt be the fastest but i rekn he would suit the role. Yes/No?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted yes as he could quite easily play the position. In fact sometimes he fills in as a 3rd centre back when we're defending so it wouldn't be completely alien to him. However it would be an epic waste of talent because he is currently playing in his best position. I'm so happy people are finally starting to realise just how good he is because even when he was getting stick it was completly unwarranted.

I think the formation that suits him best is a 4-2-3-1 which allows him a bit more freedom as opposed to the 4-3-3 that he so often played in previous years. Essien and Ramires have more or less stuck next to him and it's really allowed him to have the ball more and look forward.

If you think about it.. This is a great question! Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 2008 didn't we play Essien in centre back because we had an injury crisis?

Well in the form Mikel's been this season, I don't see why, if we were to have a defensive crisis, Mikel couldn't play there. He's shown he's got the tackling ability to do it, his decision making has clearly improved and so has his first touch.

We all know Mikel is now our #1 central midfielder (or defensive midfielder) which is the defender of the midfield quite literally.

Simple answer, NO imo.

He would be wasted there, he is actually playing better football now that he is moving up the pitch a little more, picking out forward passes (the ball to Anelka vs Wigan for example).

I think he is fine where he is.

• 1 month later...

I think he could, he has a good reading of the game and is physically strong enough... however with Terry, Ivanovic, Alex and Bruma, plus Ferreira who is more than capable of playing at RCB, I don't think we'll ever need him.

I bet you never thought we would be in this kinda injury crisis, What about john Obi? that's only if Carlo doesn't think Bruma is ready yet.