Chelsea Fans 6th Loudest In The Land

Vital - football

Chelsea fans 6th loudest in the land

The question as to which fans are the loudest and the quietest in the Premier League throws up some interesting statistics, with Chelsea fans emerging a creditable 6th loudest.

Researchers from 118 118 measured the volume levels at the 20 Premier League grounds during August and September in an effort to resolve the age-old question as to which fans are the best in the country. Decibel readings were taken across key points in each match - players emerging from the tunnel, kickoff, when goals were scored, just after the start of the second half and the final five minutes of each game.

The results allowed 118 118 to order the fans` by noise level: those fans at the top of the table can be proud of their constant, vocal and noisy support for their club. Those near the bottom are, frankly, a bunch of plastics.

The bottom club is Chelsea`s little brother neighbours, Fulham. Not surprisingly, the ground is small and the fans have little to cheer about this season. Immediately above are the sedate supporters of Reading, presumably scared to ruffle anything in leafy Berkshire, followed by (plucky little) Wigan.

Extremely embarrassingly, the 4th quietest ground in the country is also the largest, Old Trafford. Then again, the lack of vocal support from the Manchester United fans has long been criticised: we all remember Roy Keane`s 'prawn sandwich` rant, and just before Christmas, Fergus also blew his fuse about the passive nature of United`s supporters. One wonders whether the researchers shouldn`t have taken readings as to the noise levels when Cristine Ronaldo performs yet another pointless stepover.

Chelsea emerge a very creditable 6th best in the table: noise levels at Stamford Bridge are constant and deafening. This must come as quite a surprise to the popular perception of Chelsea fans as being Johnny-come-latelies, the idle rich offspring of oligarchs who were supporting Manchester United 5 years ago. Clearly those that go to The Bridge go with the full intention of damaging their vocal chords … and hammering the eardrums of those around them, supporting their team with passion. Considering that the 2 month during which the readings took place were far from successful, Chelsea`s place in the table is worthy of praise.

Indeed, those that are above Chelsea are surprising: in 5th place is Everton, displaying the real Merseyside passion. Manchester City are in 3rd place, which indicates that the City of Manchester stadium (rather than Old Trafford) is a place for committed Mancunian football supporters, Aston Villa are 4th, and (bewilderingly) Tottenham Hotspur have the 2nd loudest supporters in the land. This is a placing that deserves nothing but respect, rather than any of the habitual brickbats or sarcasm that comes so naturally from Chelsea when it comes to mentioning Spurs.

And the best supporters in the land? Everybody knows that the bestest football supporters in the World, and therefore in England, are those Koppites bursting their lungs bellowing out 'You`ll Never Walk Alone`, Liverpool fans. One doesn`t need measurement or any kind of study to confirm a truth that everybody who knows anything about football holds to be self-evident.

Hang on, we do need such a study. Far from being the bestest supporters in the world, Liverpool come in at a DISMAL 16th place in this table. 16th (or to put it another way 5th worst)???????? That really is shocking, a damning indictment on the pathetic delusions of a bunch of fans that never fail to send us to sleep with their litany of guff as regards their passionate fans, steeped in history and glory. It would appear that the history is one of silence; the mythical Anfield Roar really is just that: a myth. Far from being a roar, it`s the squeek of a mouse with laryngitis. We would be very curious to hear the excuses of our Liverpool regulars here as to how it could be that the supporters that are lionised to the extent that their loutish and criminal behaviour overseas is the subject of such indulgence, those fans that support their team by snatching cup final tickets from the hands of children, are actually waving their flags and badly-spelled banners in silence. Don`t tell us: the hapless 118 118 researchers took their readings during the Anfield minutes` silence to commiserate that Robbie Fowler`s postman`s cousin`s goldfish sadly passed away.

Moving from Highbury to The Emirates seems to have benefited Arsenal. Whereas once Arsenal played at a stadium nicknamed, for its lack of atmosphere, as 'The Library`, now the Gunners are 12th in the table, two places below the Upton Park regulars. Newcastle, a team which mythologises its own support, come in 9th. We wonder whether that`s because it`s difficult to bellow when you are suffering from pneumonia as a result of not wearing anything from the waist up.

And the loudest supporters in the land, since these are not Liverpool? That honour goes to Sunderland. Average peak volume of the Sunderland crowd at home reaches 129.2 decibels - louder than a rock concert (115 decibels) and almost as loud as an air raid siren/military jet (130 decibels). Sunderland may have only recently joined the Premier League, but their fans can be proud that they are already champions on one count.

NOISE LEAGUE TABLE:

1. Sunderland

2. Tottenham Hotspur

3. Manchester City

4. Aston Villa

5. Everton

6. Chelsea

7. Middlesbrough

8. Derby County

9. Newcastle United

10. West Ham

11. Birmingham City

12. Arsenal

13. Portsmouth

14. Blackburn Rovers

15. Bolton Wanderers

16. Liverpool

17. Manchester United

18. Wigan Athletic

19. Reading

20. Fulham

Edited by Tri-Blue

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great read, The Matthew Harding is the loudest at the bridge by a mile, i sat there last season at home to forest in the FA Cup and it was immense there and very very enjoyable, mustve sang pretty much the whole 90 mins and stood for the majority too. In the last few years, the west and east have been our prawn sarnie fans, but to be fair, on tuesday, i was sat in the east upper and the atmosphgere even there was great. It only needs a few ppl to start singing and the whole stand will follow. Fans that dont sing are an embarracement to the team, i love singing at games.

Liverpool only sing when they are coming out the tunnel and just after they have scored. Man Utd are the same. Tad surprised West Ham are quite low. 6th is a great effort. lol i love that table, liverpool and man utd plasics proven on record, Priceless

Edited by OllieCFC

LOLZ at Liverpoo, i hope they know now why we are not intimidated at Anfield anymore :D If i ever get to go to SB i deffo wont be embarrassed to sing my heart out :)

Last time I went to the Bridge I sang so much I couldn't speak for three days :lol:

TO BE HONEST THIS IS WHAT I THINK OF THIS MADE UP TABLE.

NOISE LEAGUE TABLE

1. Sunderland-ARE NO WAY THE NOISEST

2. Tottenham Hotspur - HAVE ONLY A COUPLE OF SONGS

3. Manchester City-ARE ONLY LOUD AT HOME OCCASIONALY

4. Aston Villa-ONLY HAS ABOUT 5 SONGS BUT WAS REALLY QUITE AT THE SB WEN THEY CAME

5. Everton-A VAID PLACE CONCIDERING HOW MANY THEY BRANG TO SB AND SANG THERE HARTS OUT

6. Chelsea- WE SHOUD BE MUCH HIGHER THEN THIS because WHEN WE GET GOING ITS AN AMAZING NOISE

7. Middlesbrough- SHIT SUPPORT SO THE PPL HU MADE UP THIS MUST OF LIKED MIDDLESBROUGH

8. Derby County-WAS QUITE A PP WEN WE PLAYED THEM

9. Newcastle United- ONE OF THE LOUDEST FOLLOWERS

10. West Ham-ARE QUITE LOUD BUT NOT THIS LOUD

11. Birmingham City-DUNO ABOUT THESE BUT HAVE A TOUGH FIRM

12. Arsenal- ONLY HAVE ONE SONG WHICH IS 1-0 TO THE ARSENAL,ALSO LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL.

13. Portsmouth- SHOULD BE THE NO 1 NOISE IN THE LAND,IVE HAD AN EXPRINCE OF THIS AS MY UNCALES A SEASON TIK HOLDER FOR PFC AND THERE FANS ARE AMAZING NEARLY HAD BURST EARDRUMS WEN I CAME OUT

14. Blackburn Rovers-HAVE QUITE GOOD NOISE FROM ONE END OF THERE GROUND BUT SHOUD BE 19TH

15. Bolton Wanderers- HAHA NOISE FROM THESE 80+ FANS THEY HAVE?.THEY DONT HAVE MORE THEN 5 SONGS SO CANT GEORATE NO NOISE LOL.

16. Liverpool- ALL I HAVE TO SAY FOR THE SCOUSERS IS THE MAN MUST OV CAME IN AFTER THE NEVER WALK ALONE OTHERISE WOULD OV BEEN 10TH.

17. Manchester United-ONLY NOISE IS WEN THEY SCORE SUMS IT UP.

18. Wigan Athletic-NO NOISE FROM THE RUGBY BOYS,FAIR POSITION FOR THEM.

19. Reading-FAIR POSITION

20. Fulham- NO SONGS AND NO NOISE EXECPT WEN SCORE AND COME ON FULHAM.

HOPE YOU LIKED READING LOL

KENT_BLUE

The thing is this has been on CFCNet since the end of last season and the media have only just managed to get their hands on it. So Sunderland and Derby are high because they were at there prime getting promoted and the fans would have been excited, but now they would be low because there fans are disappointed. Chelsea would be higher becuase the atmospheres been getting better over the past few years and I think tottenham will be near enough there league position there atmospheres not that good at all.

Newcastle should be higher, they have boo'd very loudly this season. They have been very consistant with it too.

haha well they have needed to boo cos its the only way the other team will lose possession cos there own players cant do it for them