The Pub - Discuss Anything

Manuf

I would like to know what foreign people think about this song. Does it sounds cool?

Sounds fine though perfectly pointless for me given that it's rap and 99.99% of rap is meant to be the lyrics and flow. Given that I only speak English...

I'll read that later. But how can it be a taboo due to evolution when it was common practice a mere few thousand years ago? Very much documented in ancient Greece and Egypt. It is part of many ancient religions. Even Christianity, if humanity started from Adam and Eve having sex and kids, then how did all the human race expand if those kids didn't have sex with each other or with their parents? Even in today's societies, it is too common to be taboo by human nature/instinct.

The Catholic church would teach that Adam and Eve is written as an allegory, meaning it is a story that conveys a truth, but isn't an actual historical account. So the story of Adam and Eve is very deep and rich with moral meaning, as well as conveying truths of mans existence, but not necessarily an account of man kinds origin as being created.
In short, it is the story of "why" we are here, and teaches many moral truths. As the church would say, science can provide us the "how".
So the Catholic church makes clear that one can hold creationism as true.

my brother is hot as heck but ewwww

although for the next two weeks we will share a bed :P

But it's my baby bro! He's 10 years younger than me, it's like sharing a bed with a kid.

And mind you - especially Stingray - no pedophile incest will happen

I'll read that later. But how can it be a taboo due to evolution when it was common practice a mere few thousand years ago? Very much documented in ancient Greece and Egypt. It is part of many ancient religions. Even Christianity, if humanity started from Adam and Eve having sex and kids, then how did all the human race expand if those kids didn't have sex with each other or with their parents? Even in today's societies, it is too common to be taboo by human nature/instinct.

First, i dont believe humanity started from adam and eve. Also they werent brother and sister.

It was comon in egyptian royal dynasties for some time. It generated a lot of genetic problems. It was probably much more forced than we think.

On being comon: actually not true. Anthropology documents incrst taboo to be a human universal. The stories about its occurence are fabulations. Pretty much the same as canibalistic stories. So ... Incest is very rare, reserved for ceremonial occassions...

First, i dont believe humanity started from adam and eve. Also they werent brother and sister. It was comon in egyptian royal dynasties for some time. It generated a lot of genetic problems. It was probably much more forced than we think. On being comon: actually not true. Anthropology documents incrst taboo to be a human universal. The stories about its occurence are fabulations. Pretty much the same as canibalistic stories. So ... Incest is very rare, reserved for ceremonial occassions...

I'm not saying that humanity started from Adam and Eve! LOL Just that it is present in various religions, meaning it was part of society. It was present in most documented ancient societies including many famous plays from Ancient Greek. I think it much more common than you think. There are tons of people who would argue for the legalization of consensual incest in a lot of countries in western Europe. It is even legal in several like Netherlands, France, Spain and Russia. So it is no way comparable to cannibalism.

But let me ask you a different question: Do you think that homosexual avoidance is also an evolutionary self-defense mechanism?

The Catholic church would teach that Adam and Eve is written as an allegory, meaning it is a story that conveys a truth, but isn't an actual historical account. So the story of Adam and Eve is very deep and rich with moral meaning, as well as conveying truths of mans existence, but not necessarily an account of man kinds origin as being created.
In short, it is the story of "why" we are here, and teaches many moral truths. As the church would say, science can provide us the "how".
So the Catholic church makes clear that one can hold creationism as true.

It only became "allegory" after evolution became a scientific fact. It was taken very literally past. In fact, it is STILL taken very literally by most Muslims.

First, i dont believe humanity started from adam and eve. Also they werent brother and sister. It was comon in egyptian royal dynasties for some time. It generated a lot of genetic problems. It was probably much more forced than we think. On being comon: actually not true. Anthropology documents incrst taboo to be a human universal. The stories about its occurence are fabulations. Pretty much the same as canibalistic stories. So ... Incest is very rare, reserved for ceremonial occassions...

I think he meant Adam and Eve's kids... not them :lol:

but even that didn't happen. Seven never procreated with any of his sisters... neither did Cain or Abel.

It only became "allegory" after evolution became a scientific fact. It was taken very literally past. In fact, it is STILL taken very literally by most Muslims.

Well thats not for us. I dont know how long it has been an allegory but ive known my whole life that the book of Genesis are not always to be taken literally. The Bible is the probably the hardest book to interpret, what it conveys is very deep and complex. To convey its deeper meaning takes more than knowledge, so for me it doesnt matter that it became an allegory after science discovered evolution because we are not battling against science, as i mentioned science helps us to understand the how. And no, it did not became an allegory simply because of evolution, it may had a role but its not the sole reason. I dont think the church just goes "oh science has discovered evolution, lets change the meaning of Adam and Eve!"

If you still think its literal then thats your deal, but the church has said thats its not so.

Also dont forget that the Catholic church is the one that studies the bible in depth, so i would think that they would know more about the Bible than Muslims and Muslims to know more about the Al Quran than any other religious order.

I'm not saying that humanity started from Adam and Eve! LOL Just that it is present in various religions, meaning it was part of society. It was present in most documented ancient societies including many famous plays from Ancient Greek. I think it much more common than you think. There are tons of people who would argue for the legalization of consensual incest in a lot of countries in western Europe. It is even legal in several like Netherlands, France, Spain and Russia. So it is no way comparable to cannibalism.

But let me ask you a different question: Do you think that homosexual avoidance is also an evolutionary self-defense mechanism?

I will answer when im home - i even parked my car to reply to this.

Its just that because it is in plays doesnt mean it isnt rare. I base my opinion of anthropological material, not a guess or an imprsession as that is prone to many biases.

There is an evolutionary reason to install an avoidance mechanism - if you do it there is SUBSTANTIAL risk for offspring. All recessive genetic deficiencies become active...

There is no such reasons to avoid homo's. it doesnt alter your genetic fitness.

For Protestants Genesis is quite literal, but no incest happened except much later in Noah times - or a bit after it (and it was considered a sin). I don't quite remember because of all things I try to keep in mind the first incest registered on Bible isn't one of them... but I'm positive it was Noah's time - after Genesis' flood...

and I believe no one knows better Christian's Bible Old Testament than Jews... it's their history after all.

Well thats not for us. I dont know how long it has been an allegory but ive known my whole life that the book of Genesis are not always to be taken literally. The Bible is the probably the hardest book to interpret, what it conveys is very deep and complex. To convey its deeper meaning takes more than knowledge, so for me it doesnt matter that it became an allegory after science discovered evolution because we are not battling against science, as i mentioned science helps us to understand the how. And no, it did not became an allegory simply because of evolution, it may had a role but its not the sole reason. I dont think the church just goes "oh science has discovered evolution, lets change the meaning of Adam and Eve!"

If you still think its literal then thats your deal, but the church has said thats its not so.

Also dont forget that the Catholic church is the one that studies the bible in depth, so i would think that they would know more about the Bible than Muslims and Muslims to know more about the Al Quran than any other religious order.

First a small note: Adam and Eve(Hawwa in Arabic) are common between Islam and Christianity. They are mentioned in the Qura'an.

I do no wish to turn this debate into a Religion vs Atheism pointless discussion. All I was saying is that incest is mentioned in some religions. The story of Adam and Eve is true to millions of Muslima and Christian creationists, so incest is part of it. But if you are trying to argue that the church does not make mistakes and change its views on scientific matters then I'm afraid that that ship has long sailed my friend. Just think of the hundreds of scientists who were killed by the church for saying that the earth is round. If it is any consolation to you, it is possible that is not what God meant and that the church, who are mortals after all, interpreted it wrong.

I will answer when im home - i even parked my car to reply to this. Its just that because it is in plays doesnt mean it isnt rare. I base my opinion of anthropological material, not a guess or an imprsession as that is prone to many biases. There is an evolutionary reason to install an avoidance mechanism - if you do it there is SUBSTANTIAL risk for offspring. All recessive genetic deficiencies become active... There is no such reasons to avoid homo's. it doesnt alter your genetic fitness.

Yes, I understood that concept from the link you posted in the previous page. But that is a possibility and not necessarily true. Is it a fact that there is a gene for the avoidance of incest?

And of course there is an evolutionary reason to avoid homosexuality. Homosexuals obviously have no offsprings, so if everything is due only to natural selection, then only heterosexuals should still exist now.

Haha, so true.

Pub lately:

Talking about weather --> talking about food --> some more weather --> full on religion --> ??(weather?)?

And random crap thrown in between :lol:

random crap isn't the main topic of conversation between drunk people in a pub? :dunno:

as for the discussion going on between Nour x Tom:

ae2.gif