Txiki Begiristain

According to Spanish daily 'Sport', Chelsea have submitted an offer to secure the services of former Barcelona technical secretary Txiki Begiristain.

The 45-year-old is a former Barcelona player and Spanish international. He was brought into the Nou Camp as technical secretary in 2003 in order to end a barren four seasons without a trophy and has since helped bring incredible success for the Catalans. Begiristain has overseen the transfers of influential stars such as Ronaldinho and Samuel Eto'o during his time at the Nou Camp.

His last contribution to the club was the summer signing of David Villa .Begiristain left the Nou Camp following the end of Joan Laporta's term as president.

Now, 'Sport' reports that Begiristain has received "a significant offer" from Premier League champions Chelsea to become the club's sporting director.

Chelsea are desperate to capture the Champions League and would hope that Begiristain can help Carlo Ancelotti strengthen his squad in order to do so. The Stamford Bridge club reportedly want an answer from Begiristain by September.

|| Source ||

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that this would be a role completely separate from Frank Arnesons. It would seem that his chief responsibility would be to oversee player aquisitions which would be a good thing to have someone like him to deal with that side of the business because someone like Gourlay isn't ideally suited to that role.

so would he just be in charge of player contracts or also decide who we buy?

Ignore me if I'm wrong (which I may well be as it's only an assumption), but I'd have thought Ancelotti would decide the players we buy, and Begiristain would do all the negotiations with whoever it may concern, regarding transfer fees, wages and the like.

It'd be nice if someone who knows could clear it up, though.

so would he just be in charge of player contracts or also decide who we buy?

From what I know this is different for each club. In some clubs he would be the guy who basically decided who to buy, for how much and all that, with other clubs it's the manager who picks a player and then someone like Txiki would handle the actual transfer. A lot of clubs who try the first method often have a clash between manager and director so if Chelsea to employ him they'd draw the line. I think Ancelotti would have final say on a transfer target at Chelsea though, after all, we don't want another Shevchenko incident.

Sounds good on paper, hope it doesn't end up creating tensions behind the scenes between Carlo and the club management. Carlo doesn't seem like a guy who's got an ego issue, but the whole Mourinho - Grant fiasco makes me a bit apprehensive about how everyone at the club will get along if this eventually goes through.

Am i the only one thinking he is terrible in negotiations !?!?!

Ibra = Eto +47m

Dymitro Chxxzxzzxz...ky = 22m

Keirrison = 12m + bonuses

Caceres = 16m

Hleb = 12m + bonuses

Henry = 17m

Dani Alves = 26m (Though he did do good, it is quite high for a RB)

The above figures dont really fill me up with optimism !!! The 2 superstars in his era - Ronaldinho (Laporta's famous aquisition) & Messi (scouted at youth level by Rexach) weren't brought by him either...

Am i the only one thinking he is terrible in negotiations !?!?!

Ibra = Eto +47m

Dymitro Chxxzxzzxz...ky = 22m

Keirrison = 12m + bonuses

Caceres = 16m

Hleb = 12m + bonuses

Henry = 17m

Dani Alves = 26m (Though he did do good, it is quite high for a RB)

The above figures dont really fill me up with optimism !!! The 2 superstars in his era - Ronaldinho (Laporta's famous aquisition) & Messi (scouted at youth level by Rexach) weren't brought by him either...

Dani Alves and Henry were great signings! But I do see your point.. Don't forget however, this is the same man who orchestrated the transfers of players like Ronaldinho! He's the one who brought Eto'o first to Barcelona, the decision to sell was taken up by Pep I believe.

BLUES OFFER CONTRACT TO BEGIRISTAIN

Txiki can aid Torres bid

Begiristain_280x420_135517a.jpg

BEGIRISTAIN: Blues keen on his services

By Andy Dunn

CHELSEA will complete the capture of former Barcelona sporting director Txiki Begiristain this week if a power-sharing agreement with Carlo Ancelotti can be reached.

Begiristain is being brought in to get Roman Abramovich the two things he most craves - Fernando Torres and a European Cup.

The former Spain international won the Champions League as sporting director twice at the Camp Nou where he was hailed as the architect of the greatest Barca side in history by his president Joan Laporta.

He also wanted to make Liverpool striker Torres a Barcelona player both when he was still at Atletico Madrid and since moving to Anfield.

Chelsea want Begiristain to engineer another push for £40m-rated Torres and help Ancelotti win the European Cup as he was able to do with Frank Rijkaard and Pep Guardiola.

But the relationship with Ancelotti could yet prevent him signing the three-year contract on offer.

Begiristain wants an equal say over all signings but after landing the Double last season, Ancelotti is insisting he has the final word on all transfers.

Chelsea want the matter closed as quickly as possible so the new man can get to work before the transfer window shuts at the end of the month.

Begiristain won four league titles in his seven years at Barcelona, although he also made some howlers in the transfer market.

Last summer he oversaw the signing Dmytro Chygrynskiy from Shakhtar Donetsk for £23m. The Ukranian hardly played last season and was sent back for £10m less than he cost last month.

Source: NOTW

Edited by - 25 -

• 3 months later...

This guy seems like he'll start a 2nd wave of useless big money signings. I'm not liking the sounds of that if I'm honest. That being said, I do recognise our need for more/better players, but I don't think this is the man to do it.

I doubt that all he did in Barcelona was transfers but then again we certainly need an improvement in that area.

While it may look like we've been transfer-shy (or cost-cutting for some) for the last few years we actually did try to get some of the big names but failed epically (Kaka,Daniel Alves, Robinho, Aguero and Neymar to mention a few) .

His transfer record may not look staggering but I think his role was bigger than that and could be related to the strongest Barcelona team ever. Then again ,as much as I hate them, that club is set in a certain way and follows a certain football philosophy that prevents one man from getting all the credit, whether that is Guardiola, Rijkaard or Laporta himself, Johan Cruyff is my best bet.

Taking a wild guess I think his first signing will be Lukaku.

Taking a wild guess I think his first signing will be Lukaku.

Now now Kostas, don't be so naive about this. If there's one thing I've learnt over the last few season it's: Don't get confident in a "potential transfer" till it actually happens :lol: