Premier League Homegrown rule

Having seen that the new "Homegrown" rule that the premier league plan to introduce for next season has been discussed in another thread so i thought i would set up a thread to discuss this new rule on it's own.

What the new rule means is that from next season all clubs must submit a squad of 25 players. Of those 25 players 8 have to be "Homegrown". A homegrown player is classed as a player that was registered with the FA or the Welsh FA for 3 entire seasons before their 21st Birthday. This is the difference between the Premier League and the UEFA homegrown rule because the UEFA homegrown rule states that half of the homegrown quota must be from the club itself.

Clubs are also able to beef up their squads with unlimited players who are under the age of 21 before the 1st of January of that season, so for next season that is 1st January 2011.

So what does it mean for our squad? Lets have a look (HG is where we have to have a homegrown player):

1.(HG): John Terry

2.(HG): Ashley Cole

3.(HG): Frank Lampard

4.(HG): Joe Cole

5.(HG): Ross Turnbull

6.(HG): Daniel Sturridge

7.(HG): Sam Hutchinson/Michael Mancienne

8.(HG): Miroslav Stoch/Ryan Bertrand

9. Petr Cech

10. Branislav Ivanovic

11. Michael Essien

12. Ricardo Carvalho

13. Didier Drogba

14. Mikel

15. Michael Ballack

16. Florent Malouda

17. Jose Bosingwa

18. Yuri Zhirkov

19. Paulo Fereira

20. Deco

21. Salomon Kalou

22. Nemaja Matic

23. Alex

24. Juliano Belletti

25. Nicolas Anelka

No room for Hilario on that list and we are short 2 Homegrown players. Now Sam Hutchinson could be included in the Homegrown if he is intended to be part of the squad as he won't qualify to be in the unlimited U21 list as he is 21 this August. Other names mentioned are Gael Kakuta, Fabio Borini, Jeffrey Bruma and Patrick Van Aanholt, all of whom would be eligable for the unlimited list. Of those on loan with a chance, Miroslav Stoch won't be eligable for the unlimited list put he would class as homegrown as would Michael Mancienne and Sam Hutchinson.

So what it comes down to is that even if we kept the squad exactly the same, 1 person would have to go. If we want to bring in any outside transfers people will have to go to be replaced in the squad. So what it comes down to is that there is great problems caused by this but it will impact on the way we deal with Transfers..

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, i don't think this is such a bad thing at all tbh. The club will be forced to make more use of their academy. All together this will cause that the club has to improvise more and be more creative with their youngsters. Only thing i am afraid about is that it will cost us quality, because the club HAS to put in 8 HG-players every season (and may be they will need to include some youngsters that aren't up to that level yet, or never will be...). On the other hand, this might not be a big problem as i think it is, because once we've got 8 HG-players selected, i assume they won't be off the season afterwards :lol:;).

Edited by Blueboy

Oviosly this rule is to attempt to get teams to use players they have developed themselves rather then pay maasive transfers and contracts that has gotten clubs in financial difficulties like Portsmouth,

Yes it is, and it is a very good thing if you ask me. Although they could have gone further like UEFA and said that some have to be generated through your own academy,

The home grown rule will save english football and not make it as disgraceful as that UCL match yesterday with cheating galore. Although the foreigners have helped English football, they have also disgraced it. There's nothing like our English game. Love the rule.

We'll be fine. They should have it in every country tho

The price for English players will undoubtedly increase even more so now, and it's going to be a similar thing where clubs will nick players off other academy's too lol

More money to the smaller clubs though!

The home grown rule will save english football and not make it as disgraceful as that UCL match yesterday with cheating galore. Although the foreigners have helped English football, they have also disgraced it. There's nothing like our English game. Love the rule.

We'll be fine. They should have it in every country tho

save from what ? english football is the best in the world, the players in our academy will still be foreign too they will be cherry picked from france spain italy and portugal. Players like gael kakuta miro stoch and bruma are foreign !

Its a good idea, I'm all for CFC bringing through young players, ie Hutchinson etc. We already have a fair share of 'homegrown' players as it is.

Personally I would have liked to have seen a rule along the lines of, 8 homegrown players with 2 or 3 of them being from the clubs own academy and under the age of 21, would this work?

Edited by Luke

Saved from foreign cheats i.e Man Utd signing Ronaldo. A premiership cheat (and world cheat) was born. The more homegrown players, the better.

Saved from foreign cheats i.e Man Utd signing Ronaldo. A premiership cheat (and world cheat) was born. The more homegrown players, the better.

English players dive too ollie and cristiano ronaldo was one of the greatest ever premiership players, better than any english player i can think of.

I think the English FA should be more specific and add Premier League English Player Homegrown rule on top of the Premier League Homegrown rule. Example:

Premier League English Homegrown players: 5

Premier League Homegrown players: 5

So clubs would be required to have 5 PLEH and 5 PLH. Otherwise clubs will just picked 13/14 year old boys from other countries and train them in England like BadBoy said.

Edited by .Cee

I won't even comment about Ronaldo being that good, I'd take Lampard every day over him. Our players don't dive, only a few do like Gerrard, Joe Cole and maybe a few more. Our foreigners are the cheats in the EPL not our own.

I won't even comment about Ronaldo being that good, I'd take Lampard every day over him. Our players don't dive, only a few do like Gerrard, Joe Cole and maybe a few more. Our foreigners are the cheats in the EPL not our own.

Lampard better than Ronaldo :lol:. English players are cheats too its not only foreign players, the premiership would be one of the worst leagues in the world without the foreign players. The foreign players have made it a global brand, english players have learned a lot from the great foreign talent that have played here.

He didn't say Lampard was better. He said he'd choose Lampard over Ronaldo.

And so would I. He's more consistent. And correct me if I'm wrong here - he's also scored more goals in the league than CR9.

He didn't say Lampard was better. He said he'd choose Lampard over Ronaldo.

And so would I. He's more consistent. And correct me if I'm wrong here - he's also scored more goals in the league than CR9.

CR9 also has about 21/22 goals atm ;)