Grant: We Are Still In The Title Hunt

Steve

Chelsea manager Avram Grant refuses to give up on the Premier League title, even after his team lost more ground on the leaders following their home draw against Aston Villa on Wednesday.

A last-second penalty converted by Villa’s Gareth Barry capped an exciting 4-4 draw at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day, but the points dropped leaves Chelsea further behind the likes of Manchester United and Arsenal.

This latest setback to befall the Blues was worsened by the sending-off of defensive duo Ashley Cole and Ricardo Carvalho.

The West London outfit shall now have to add their subsequent bans to a long list of absentees that already includes influential midfielder Frank Lampard, talismanic striker Didier Drogba and key defender John Terry.

Although Carvalho is set to miss the forthcoming fixtures with Newcastle and Fulham and an FA Cup tie against QPR, good news for Chelsea may arrive if their appeal of wrongful dismissal for Ashley Cole is upheld by the Football Association in a hearing on Friday.

Chelsea have displayed patchy form this season, with consistent winning runs saddling significant defeats, leaving them seven points behind the league leaders.

However, Grant talked tough as he insisted that there is no need to give up hope only half-way into the season.

"As long as we have a chance we will do everything we can to catch Manchester United and Arsenal," he said.

"We have character and will not give up. We will do anything to challenge them.

"This job has been a big challenge from the day I started it and I will accept this latest challenge."

The news of the loss of Chelsea’s spine (Terry, Lampard, and Drogba) has raised doubts, but Grant sees only a challenge ready to be overcome.

"To have these players unavailable is a test for us, but we have been here already this season by playing without big names," he said.

"Football is always a big test when you have a bad time. It's not easy but this is the situation and we'll make the best of it.

"I'm waiting for the day when I can be like other managers and have all my players available. I think that time will come one day."

Source: www.goal.com

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suppose he's got to say that, no point in saying we aint got a fucking chance in hell, plus there's no way both arse and man ure going to lose 3 games.

i've stood by him and defended him by giving him a chance to show what he's got, now he's getting on my fucking nerves, his clueless statements, his lack of tactical awareness, his passionless appearance, if he carries on like this he can fuck off before the season ends.

regards:JBD

As much as I'd love to see him go, I cant see Grunt being given the sack. He's just been given a new 4 year deal and although that doesnt mean much nowadays its obvious that RA intends to stick with him.

Although, there was a rumour doing the rounds that the 4 year deal is going to be paid in full come the summer and he'll move back upstairs when a more suitable Manager becomes available.

Probably more in hope than a rumour :rolleyes:

As much as I'd love to see him go, I cant see Grunt being given the sack. He's just been given a new 4 year deal and although that doesnt mean much nowadays its obvious that RA intends to stick with him.

Although, there was a rumour doing the rounds that the 4 year deal is going to be paid in full come the summer and he'll move back upstairs when a more suitable Manager becomes available.

Probably more in hope than a rumour :rolleyes:

totally agreed. especially the cunt sign the goddamn contract before the arsenal game while roman can offered him much earlier than that.

We have no chance with Grant in charge, In fact I think Lamps and Drogba will be out the door first chance they get...............unless we get someone in who can rescue the situation, Van Basten, etc. But Roman will stick with his bum boy so a fight for forth place it is then.

technically we're not out of it but realistically we are. There's just to many things against us from injuries to key players to having a manager that looks more like a monster out of doctor who. 7 points is the gap at present, i can see it being 10-12 this time next month. Getting in the top 4 wont be a problem because all the teams from 5th downwards are average teams but winning the league just will not happen. Champions League isnt out the question tho.

The gap between Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, United, City, Everton and the rest of the league is incredible. Those are the only teams we need to be wary of, but even with a twat in charge, a team of our calibre HAS to get into the CL every season at the barest of minimums.