Fabio Coentrao joins Real Madrid

the wes

Why do people see him as a left back and not a left winger?

I say yes, all but means Zhirkov would be leaving, but it might actually give Malouda a kick up in the arse for a whole season rather then the end.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why you guys are mad? He is obviously coming in as a left winger, not a left back. We don't need left backs at all. He'll be a quality left winger, he was amazing in the world cup, I haven't seen much of him other than that though.

^ He is a left back, he has nothing to do with the right wing.

Yeah he is left sided no doubt but I would say he is much more of a left winger more than he is a left back and signing him would no doubt be for the wing.

Yeah he is left sided no doubt but I would say he is much more of a left winger more than he is a left back and signing him would no doubt be for the wing.

Yeah yeah I know, he is a left winger by formation although he is played as a left back. I just wanted to point out to St Abramovich that he doesn't play on the right wing.

In as much as I would love to see him here, I think the club should start looking for a right winger too. We don't have much depth on the right compared to the left side.

Left>>>>>>>COLE, MALOUDA, ZHIRKOV, PvA, RYAN ........Coentrao

Right>>>>>>BOSINGWA, FERREIRA. (Ivan is not a RB, Kalou is not a winger)

^ agree with the post above. Our right side is weaker a lot.

Coentrao is a pure quality and one of the best left backs in the future, but we've got the best left back in the world and besides that, 2 young players ready to replace him.

• 4 weeks later...

Benfica set Coentrao price.

Portugaese club demand £26m for star left-back.

Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira insists Fabio Coentrao would only be allowed to leave for €30million (£26m). The attack-minded Portugal left-back has been linked with a summer move to Real Madrid, Manchester City, AC Milan, Liverpool and Bayern Munich.

But Benfica are unwilling to allow Coentrao to leave for anything less than £26million.

The club's president, Luis Filipe Vieira, told Portuguese media: "Coentrao can only leave if a club pays €30m, which is his value in the market."

Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha has reported that Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has already agreed a deal for Coentrao.

But Real and Manchester City would have the financial clout to outbid the Anfield outfit if it becomes clear that the 23-year-old is available.

from skysports

Benfica seem to think everyone will overpay for their players the way we did :rolleyes:

HA! Overpay eh? Ramires, not overpriced, Luiz not overpriced, DiMaria, not overpriced, and if anything Coentrao is undervalued. He's currently top 3 LB in the world. You don't find world class players for less than that. And for everybody saying we'd buy him as a left wing, that's hilarious. He's been changed to a wingback and will not return to his former position when everyone knows that while he was very good as a winger, he's out of this world in his current position.

All that being said, I agree with other posts that we have more glaring needs right now and while Coentrao is a fantastic player and would be a great signing, I personally think we need to spend that money elsewhere.

Guest justin_3d

Don't need him.

He can go to Madrid. He will be good, but i rather give more time to our youth then spend on him.