Deco enjoys new Chelsea midfield role

Deco was fielded in a deep-lying midfield role for Chelsea's 2-0 victory over Seattle Sounders yesterday.

"It is the first time I play in that position but it is different when you have four midfielders because the others help defend and I have more space to play," he told chelseafc.com.

"I think this is important and I like it because it is mainly about distribution."

Deco added: "It was a good test against a good team, Seattle play well, they work all the game. The pitch was a little soft but it was okay.

"The players' legs are now feeling heavy at this moment but we need to improve and it is important to play and train hard. We start now and we need more games."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Yeah....Inter have rejected him and now he needs a reason to stay back at the club that is being run like "A TOY".

That said, he was pretty good. But then Premier League is a different cup of tea where tackles come flying in with a blink of an eye.

he played extremely well in the role against a pretty good MLS team, but with cole, lampard, ballack, essien, mikel, zhirkov, malouda, i'm curious as to how the midfield will work itself out this year. Chelsea v inter should be an entertaining midfield battle, among all the other story lines concerning the game.

To be fair, we don't know if he actually said those quotes. If it was Lampard or Drogba who said something along those lines, we'd immediately dismiss them as bullshit because we adore them. Deco doesn't quite mean even half as much to Chelsea fans, so we're not as fast to ridicule speculation. However, I do believe that Deco does his talking with his feet best, so let's see what he can give us next season.

Deco's public-relations exercise is under way. Back at the Pasadena Rose Bowl on the sun-drenched West Coast, with his would-be suitor Internazionale defeated and a second appearance of pre-season to his name, the man once briefly heralded as Chelsea's missing link had confronted an awkward question. Was it a mistake moving to Stamford Bridge? "No," came the instant response. "It was the right decision."That represents a radical reassessment of a partnership that has long felt on the verge of divorce. Deco completed a £8m move from Barcelona on a two-year contract the same day that Luiz Felipe Scolari, his former national manager with Portugal, began work at Cobham last summer. The midfielder was to be the team's creative hub, Scolari's eyes and ears out on the pitch, with his new team-mates staggered by the flashes of skill the Brazil-born midfielder showed in training. Yet, in the months that followed, his own form and fortunes mirrored those of the manager: a breathless start pursued by complete and utter stagnation.

These days he struggles to shrug off the tag as a symbol of Scolari's failed regime. Injuries to thigh, calf and hamstring deadened his impact, the physicality and pace of the Premier League passing him by after his stunning start. Guus Hiddink, Scolari's replacement in February, used Deco only three times and there were no appearances at all after mid March. The 31-year-old's status has lurched from team saviour to forgotten man and in his exasperation as a potential move to Inter stalled, last month he stated: "I do not want to stay. I have not liked my experience at Chelsea."

Yet, a year since he dazzled against the lesser likes of Guangzhou Pharmaceutical and a Malaysian Select XI, then dismantled Milan in a friendly in Moscow followed by Portsmouth and Wigan in the Premier League, his tone has changed. "I spoke with the new manager [Carlo Ancelotti] when he arrived, we spoke about things and about what he was thinking about the team and the tactics," said Deco. "And I will be here, I have a contract, and I will do my best.

"The last season was difficult for me. I had many injuries and only played a few games. I didn't like last season and I hope this one will be different. I'm just happy to play. Every player needs to play and wants to play.

"I hope this season I don't have the injuries and can play the way I know I can. I hope I can show fans what I can do. I'm happy to be here. The club is good, the atmosphere around it is good. I like being here. I just need to play, be fit and do my best for Chelsea."

The highlights of his stint in England have been few: a swerving shot from distance against Portsmouth, a long-range free-kick against Wigan and a glorious scissor-kick at Bolton. His confidence never really recovered from Scolari's abrupt departure after only seven months, a sacking that drew criticism from Deco earlier in the summer.

"When the manager changed I had just started training and, straight after, I went down with another injury," he said. "Scolari will be a friend for life, but he has gone to another club now [bunyodkor in Uzbekistan] and life goes on. It was difficult under the new coach because he wanted me to play but I was always injured. However, that is in the past."

Ancelotti has used Deco twice in the United States to date, his decision to employ the Portuguese veteran at the base of a midfield diamond against Seattle Sounders – hardly the most daunting of opponents – prompting raised eyebrows. Deco sprayed his passes efficiently that day, his distribution remaining one of his assets, and may do so again tonight when Chelsea play Milan here in Maryland, though he does not appear a natural defensive midfield shield of Premier League standard.

Regardless, as he enters the final year of his contract and with clubs from Galatasaray to Inter still apparently retaining some interest in securing his services, the will to make his mark seems to remain with Deco.

"The important thing is for me to start well, keep at the same level and play well all season, not just at the beginning like last season," he added. "And, of course, I have to avoid the injuries. I don't like to make excuses but that did affect me and made life so difficult. Now all I want to do is my best. Chelsea need to win the league again and I want to play my part."

Deco's passing would be of great help in a 4-2-3-1 formation where he is layed as a defensive playmaker next to Essien/Mikel. Not sure he will do well at the base of the Diamond considering he is not the types who would go for bonecrushing Tackles.

yea he could be useful wit mikel in an 'alonso and macherano' type partnership wit lampard in front of them,two wingers and a lone striker.. But i was hopin j.cole might take up a central attackin role this season

His passing was really creative.

It was, but whos wouldn't have been given the amount of time and space Seattle gave him? Played extremely well for a handful of matches last season, for the most was completely shit and his lack of effort last term didn't help his cause. Hope he leaves.

Let's not forget this is Deco's last year in his contract; he might be happy to play it out and move on.

After annoucing he wants to leave, I don't think that's in his mind. It was disrespectful towards the club & supporters and the quicker he leaves, the better.

Chelsea midfielder Deco insists he is happy at the club after showdown talks with new manager Carlo Ancelotti.

Deco & Carvalho: Staying at the club.

The Portugal international was expected to leave the Blues this summer, but failed to seal a move to Inter Milan and now claims he will give his all for the cause this season.

"I have talked with the manager," explained Deco. "We talked a lot about things, about the game, about what he thinks about the team and tactics.

"I will be here. I have a contract and I will do my best, wherever I am on the pitch."

Although Deco flourished early on last season a succession of injuries hampered the Brazilian-born star's form.

The 31-year-old is hoping staying injury-free this time around will give him the chance to show fans what they have been missing.

"The last season was difficult for me - I had many injuries," he continued. "You recover and get fit again and, straight after, another injury. I hope this season will be different. I'm happy to play.

"I hope I can show fans what I can do. I'm happy to be here. The club is good, the atmosphere around it is good. I like being here."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id...and&cc=5901

Edited by Tech9C