Bringing the boys through

Everywhere you look at Chelsea discussions for our squad for the comming season there is always talk of us using our younger players, most notible among them are Michael Mancienne, Franco Di Santo and Miroslav Stoch (and had Gael Kakuta stayed fit he would have had some minutes last season and would also be mentioned a lot). As fans the is nothing better than seeing a young player come through and playing for the first team, at the same time we let the club off the hook with the excuse that it is hard to bring players through at a top club like Chelsea.

Whilst that is undoubtedly true, Chelsea are still doing far too little to get these players gradually more and more invovled in the first team (in my opinion). We know the club are exceptionally keen to utilise our academy but we need to be less scared about it and start having some faith.

Michael Mancienne for example, a wealth of experience now at Championship level, gaining praise left right and centre wherever he went. Got called up for the full England team BEFORE ever making a Chelsea first team appearance. People who have watched Mancienne over the years have known he is a talent capable of making our first team, but at 21 it still has been too little.

Lets compare Mancienne to our most sucessful academy graduate JT. Terry in the 98/99 season at the age of 17/18 made 6 appearances for our first team. The following season he made 9 plus a loan spell at Nottingham forest. The season after at the age of 19/20 he made 26. Mancienne is now 21, at that age JT had made a whopping 88 Chelsea first team appearances in the Premier League and cup comps. Mancienne has made a total of 6! Now people will more than likely make 1 of 2 arguments for that:

1. That things are different now than when JT was comming through. Yes they are, of that there is no doubt. But lets also remember the players at the club at that time were top class players playing in Europe including the likes of Desailly. So it isn't as though JT at that age was better than what was infront of him, more of a case of being the given the chances to improve to his potential level.

2. That Terry at the age of 17/18 was a better talent than Mancienne at the age of 17/18. With heindsight that is very easy to say, but both were VERY VERY highly regarded as they were comming through. Had Mancienne and JT come through at the same time and given the same chances would they both be Chelsea and England stars now? My guess would be definately yes.

Franco Di Santo has done marginally better, making 16 appearances this season, all from the bench though, but the actual minutes he has been given is bordering on the pointless for the most part.

For united Macheda has made 5 appearances for them with 2 starts, and Wellbeck has made 13 with half a dozen starts in there. Neither of which are any better than Di Santo or Stoch, or even Kakuta and possiblY Borini and Nouble if the FA Youth cup is anything to go by. But they have had they chances, the actual minutes on the pitch.

This season i can think of 1 game only where we used our young players in a situation when we really needed something and they got right in the action and that is the home game to Stoke. And i am sure we can all remember what happened there, Di Santo set up the equalising goal with a great header and Stoch was massively instrumental in the winning goal. Given the right oppertunities these players can grow into real special talents. But isn't going to happen without the minutes on the pitch for Chelsea FC....

Sorry for the long post but thought it was a point worth discussing again given the talk at the moment. :)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't agree more. The club is looking too scared to blood the young players. I can think of a perfect example First game of the season against Portsmouth 45 mins gone and we were 3-0 up. Di Santo was on the bench. It would of been a perfect opportunity to play him for the second half or at least give him 20-30 mins.

Its very difficult to show what you can do in a couple of measly minutes at the end of a game.

I couldn't agree more. The club is looking too scared to blood the young players. I can think of a perfect example First game of the season against Portsmouth 45 mins gone and we were 3-0 up. Di Santo was on the bench. It would of been a perfect opportunity to play him for the second half or at least give him 20-30 mins.

Its very difficult to show what you can do in a couple of measly minutes at the end of a game.

Exactly, and there was many more instances throughout the season where that was the case also. Young players are not going to miraculously pop up in the first team and be absolute quality from day 1.

Michael Mancienne: The problem is that we have too many quality CB's. Mancienne for now can be a back up for CB as well as RB. He can also play s a holding midfielder. I think in 3 years time he should be starting regularly with Chelsea as I can see us selling one of Ivanovic/Alex by then. By that time we will also bring in Rajovic. I can see the pairing of Rajovic and Mancienne as a future CB partnership for Chelsea. Mancienne till then will be a back up player.....unfortunately.

Stoch: Great Talent, I can see him being played as a back up for Joe Cole for next two years. I dont see Joe Cole playing beyond the next two to three years. He would be 30-31 and with his persistent injury problems I can see us sellign him to a mid table club. Stoch is the automatic choice once Joe Cole goes. Stoch will be 22-23 by then. Still very young. But till then he will have to play as a back up.

Di Santo: Honestly, I dont see him leading our attack. He is a quality player no doubt. His performances against Liverpool at home and Stoke in the very little time he got have been class..At the moment he is behind Drogba, Anelka and another Striker we plan to buy. May be in two years time when we would be selling Drogba and Anelka I can see him play a more key role in our attack.

Kakuta: Now this guy is the Jewel of our academy. We need to keep hold of him. I hope his injury this past season doesnt hamper his progress. This guy clearly can be the Next Ribery or watever. He is only 17. A Couple of loan spells, and I think he would Start on our left Flank in the next 3-4 seasons at the age of 20-21. This guy can improve a great deal in the next 3-4 season..

But it all comes down to the Manager. These guys need to play atleast 30 mins and not just 2 mins or 10 mins per game like they did last season.

For the next 3 seasons these guys need to be started in Cup Games, and brought in to play 30-35 mins in premier league or champions league games.

I can definately see the 4 of them starting for Chelsea in the next 4 seasons.

If kakuta and stoch dont make it into the first team the whole system has failed imo. Man utd won the fucking league while giving people like kiko welbeck evans fabio plenty of games. Stoch has amazing dribbling ability and pace with 2 good feet for crossing. Kakuta's vision and ability on the ball makes him a pure danger i think these 2 are special. Frank Arnesen has said this boy has every thing in his locker.

1. Ok frank how about this my dutch brother if he does not come through. A player with everything in his locker you can fuck off back to spurs.

Edited by Badboy

No-one is expecting these lads to be first team starters on a regular basis. But you would hope that they would each be able to accumulate some good playing time, comming on as subs and actually starting against lower league opposition. We don't have to play a whole team of young players but 1 or 2 in the starting line up is no risk.

c.ronaldo wasn't exactly leading any attack when he first came to man-u but now hes the best player in the world

di santo can lead the attack with the right training and management.

OK...heres the Difference. 18 yr old C Ronaldo bought for 12.5 million in 2002.

19 yr old Di Santo bought for 4 million in 2008.