Malouda set for contract talks

Florent Malouda’s end-of-season resurgence looks to have secured him a new Chelsea deal after the France winger admitted he was set for talks to extend his stay at Stamford Bridge.

Malouda struggled to adapt to life in The Premier League during his first 18 months at the club following his £13.5 million move from Lyon.

But the wideman has found his form in recent weeks, culminating in a superb display in Saturday’s FA Cup final victory over Everton.

And his improved performances look to have paid dividends, with talks on a extended deal expected to begin soon.

"We will have a meeting at the beginning of June but both parties want to carry on,” he told the Evening Standard.

"It's a wonderful experience but just the beginning. I hope in the next years you will see me win many, many trophies.

"When you play so many high-profile games you get the experience and confidence that comes with it. I hope to share joy and happiness with the fans.”

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would be stupid not to offer him a new deal, all your attack runs through him basically.

The problem with Malouda is that yes, he has been fantastic the last few months. He really has been a completely different player. The worry is which Malouda turns up next season? Before he turned it all around he was VERY VERY poor. If the transfer window closes and Malouda is back to the incredibly poor form, then we have wasted a chance to bring a quality replacement in.

I think he has probably done enough to be kept on next season now, but lets hope that our faith in him is not shattered.

The problem with Malouda is that yes, he has been fantastic the last few months. He really has been a completely different player. The worry is which Malouda turns up next season? Before he turned it all around he was VERY VERY poor. If the transfer window closes and Malouda is back to the incredibly poor form, then we have wasted a chance to bring a quality replacement in.

I think he has probably done enough to be kept on next season now, but lets hope that our faith in him is not shattered.

Dont you think it was more scolari's poor man management skills.

Dont you think it was more scolari's poor man management skills.

If it was then Malouda is more erratic than Drogs, i mean Malouda looked completely disinterested. And even the season before he wasn't at the level he is now. He has said that it has taken him this long to acclimatise to the Premiership, but like i said, can we be certain we will get the same Malouda back in training on July 1st?

I think selling Malouda and Drogba are obviously out of the question right now. Malouda in my opinion was the man of the match in the FA cup. I think a big part of his form as of late has been probably a matter of chemistry and timing with the team as well as not taking ridiculous shots from outside the box on the wing that inevitably sail meters over the goal. The passing between Malouda, Lampard, and Ashley Cole was beautiful to watch last Saturday.

I'm just glad to find out he's no longer being shopped around. I think a 3 year deal would be wisest and that would provide us with the ability to sell him (if he returned to poor form) instead of losing him to a free transfer at the end of next year when his value might warrant incredibly high wages.

On a final note watching Florent in the FA cup is truly a pleasure and this is coming from Florent's biggest hater pre-Hiddink.

I've always rated Malouda, he put these performances in week in, week out at Lyonnais. I believe he's had bad man management in all honesty. He was great under Jose and scored a few goals, but as soon as Grant came in, and then Scolari, his form was spasmodic and the odd goal and assist was his only contribution. Been fucking brilliant since about February though - when Hiddink came in. Mourinho and Hiddink have good man management skills - Grant and Scolari didn't. I hope Carlo Ancelotti does.

I've always rated Malouda, he put these performances in week in, week out at Lyonnais. I believe he's had bad man management in all honesty. He was great under Jose and scored a few goals, but as soon as Grant came in, and then Scolari, his form was spasmodic and the odd goal and assist was his only contribution. Been fucking brilliant since about February though - when Hiddink came in. Mourinho and Hiddink have good man management skills - Grant and Scolari didn't. I hope Carlo Ancelotti does.

I can see ancelotti having the experience that your talking about. He has been around for a while and look at the way the milan player reacted when he left.

Malouda deserves atleast another couple of seasons, looking at the way he played these last few months has been great to watch. He is playing for the team and working very hard.

Malouda is the sort of player who takes a while to get used to new surroundings. When he joined Lyon in 2003, his form was patchy, and only scored a few games. However, he was given time and care by Houlier, who gave him a run in the side and by the end of the season he was a regular and was playing very well, and that form continued until 2006/07, where he would regularly offer 7 or 8 good performances in a row before maybe the odd game or two where he would fade. In 2006/07, though, he was by some distance OL's outstanding player of the season, and I think now he has truly found his feet at the Bridge, we can all learn to appreciate how good he actually is. He's certainly made Joe Cole's injury seem a lot less of a loss than it could have been.