Guus Hiddink

Steve

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, think he will interfere with AVB and AVB has made it clear to the board that he wants to do things his way (until Roman lets him stay, of course :rolleyes: )

Every time we get a bad result or bad "moment" the media (and some of our fans) will go crazy with the AVB OUT GUUS IN campaigns

So, no thank you.

Guus Hiddink is expected to be used as an occasional advisor to Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich after losing his job on Tuesday as the manager of Turkey.

The former Chelsea manager remains good friends with Abramovich and, while the Dutchman’s sudden availability will intensify outside scrutiny on manager Andre Villas-Boas, there are no plans for him to take on a formal position at the club.

Instead, according to sources, Hiddink is likely to continue advising Abramovich on an informal and ad-hoc basis.

Hiddink, as ever, is keeping his options wide open and intends to take a period of time away from football before deciding his next move.

Chelsea see no reason to make any public comment on the situation and, while nothing can be ruled out in the longer term, Abramovich is understood to be happy with the new managerial structure.

Michael Emenalo was appointed in July as technical director, with a particular focus on player recruitment and the academy.

Hiddink, who guided Chelsea to victory in the 2008 FA Cup, on Tuesday indicated that he is not necessarily interested in a return to management and may prefer to work more permanently as an advisor.

“It was great at Chelsea, a terrific time, but that doesn’t mean I am ready to start tomorrow,” 65-year-old Hiddink said. “I need some time to reflect. Even at my age, I need to decide what my future may be. I’m not ready to retire, I like to be involved with a team on a daily basis, but maybe I am ready to step out of the limelight a little bit, away from the cameras. Hopefully I will still be involved but perhaps it will be as an advisor or a consultant.”

Chelsea are adamant that Villas-Boas was their first choice to succeed Carlo Ancelotti as manager during the summer and that they did not approach Hiddink about the job. Hiddink was widely regarded as the natural choice, but Chelsea quickly became convinced that Villas-Boas was the outstanding long-term option.

Chelsea have won eight major trophies but also had seven managers since Abramovich bought the club in 2003 and there was a sense that Villas-Boas has the energy to really build a long-term legacy.

Aside from his successful three-month spell at Chelsea in 2009, Hiddink has not managed in club football since leaving PSV Eindhoven in 2006. Hiddink’s agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen suggested that his client was unavailable after Ancelotti departed due to his commitments with Turkey but a senior Chelsea official said he was never approached.

“Roman has immense respect for Guus and highly values his opinion, but he did not have any communication with Guus about the job,” the Chelsea source said.

Villas-Boas has had a mixed start as Chelsea manager. They sit top of their Champions League group but are fourth in the Premier League and nine points adrift of leaders Manchester City.

Hiddink’s departure from the Turkey job was confirmed on Tuesday following their exit from Euro 2012 in a play-off defeat against Croatia.

The Dutchman, who has also managed Holland, South Korea, Australia and Russia at international level, took charge of Turkey in August last year and flew back to Holland on Tuesday to assess his options.

Sources close to Hiddink have confirmed that he has been approached about taking a job at an unnamed Premier League club.

Hiddink said that he no regrets about his work with Turkey, who succumbed to a 3-0 aggregate defeat against Croatia.

“When I took the job we had objectives in mind,” he said. “One of the most important was to get the age of the national team down. I’ve brought players through and while we also hoped to qualify for the European Championship, we finished second in the group.

“I don’t feel as though it is a failure, you have to be realistic. Turkey have some good young players and they will be stronger for this experience.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8895065/Guus-Hiddink-expected-to-be-used-as-an-occasional-consultant-by-Chelsea-owner-Roman-Abramovich.html

I'm don't think it's such a disaster if Guus took an advisory role at the club. I'm sure (well, I presume) AVB and the club already has several advisers, what harm can one more do?

undermine him ? we all know Roman's love affair with Guss , if im honest i wanted Guss back as a manager but we got AVB and brining back Guss could have a negative impact.

undermine him ? we all know Roman's love affair with Guss , if im honest i wanted Guss back as a manager but we got AVB and brining back Guss could have a negative impact.

Or they could prove to be a great match with Guus' experience and AVB's....well everything really! :P:D

But I get your point.

Or they could prove to be a great match with Guus' experience and AVB's....well everything really! :P:D

But I get your point.

All comes down to if AVB will want him. If Guus comes with a good scout network behind him then it could work well, if he communicates with André well. They both share the same style of football, both speak English well. Could be a a thing of greatness or the undoing of foundations being built.

Developments will be interesting in the next few weeks..

• 1 year later...