Middlesbrough 1-0 Chelsea

I'm honestly done with Poch at this point. How do we concede?

A nobody gets the better of Colwill at LB, and the rest is history.

If Broja & any other defender were playing at LB, we'd be coming away with one foot in the final. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

Even Palmer has been blowing hot and cold during his time. Gusto IMO has been our best signing so far with Petrovic being ok as well. The rest are obviously all pants.

Palmer unlucky with his first chance. Second one was poor but again without him we wouldn’t of had half the chances we had tonight. He is already our main man and our best attacking player this season by a mile. Too much responsibility on his shoulders when you consider the lack of goals from the other players barring Raheem who has 7 in all comps from these areas.

Sterling also being asked to be a more creative player than the role he was utilised at City is also poor management by Poch. Yes he can take people on 1 v 1 but get him the box for cutbacks/low centers. Absolutely scandalous he keeps asking him to go out wide and try beat folk 1 v 1 to create crossing opportunities. It is clearly a tactical instruction. He didn’t score over 100 goals for City and a huge % of them under Pep by staying out wide and taking on his fullback and crossing it in.

1 hour ago, robsblubot said:

Sure, but I'm not talking about misses, but the overall performance.

Physicality affects the opposition in a number of different ways: attacking players may try to apply the finish quickly to avoid contact for ex. Bullying the frail attacking players isn't really anything new.

Palmer was hardly bullied though? He isn’t a number 9 but he had the best chances and they all came from either his intuition or individual skill. Should of scored at least one, maybe 2 including his first chance which was desperately unlucky after he did the hard bit anticipating and intercepting the pass. He cannot do it all by himself though - already we are heavily far too reliant on him.

I don't particularly care too much about whether Poch remains or not. He's a decent manager which is fine for this squad--a better manager would be wasted here and would just come to collect his paycheck. 

Poch organized the defense in my view. The conceded goals are mostly individual mistakes, some down to inexperience (including the goalies here too).

Up front is mostly down to player quality. "developing" attacking mids and forwards is down to no more than tactical tweaks and adjustments. It's up to them to have enough quality to execute the attacking tasks. That's precisely the difference between City having an option like Haaland vs not.

So, while I understand the disappointment with the manager, esp when he protects the group of players with ridiculous statements, IMO the manager is almost irrelevant with this roster.

7 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Palmer was hardly bullied though? He isn’t a number 9 but he had the best chances and they all came from either his intuition or individual skill. Should of scored at least one, maybe 2 including his first chance which was desperately unlucky after he did the hard bit anticipating and intercepting the pass. He cannot do it all by himself though - already we are heavily far too reliant on him.

Was merely suggesting that players can be affected by physical game -- not necessarily a straight out bullying. Many defenders/DMs use the subterfuge of throwing very hard tackles in the beginning of the match to intimidate players. The idea is that it may remain in the player's subconscious and throw off their game--even if just a little. Heck often players sitting on the bench can be intimidated by just watching what is going on on the pitch.

Edited by robsblubot

Loudspeaker announcement heard in the old days of football:

if there is a doctor in the terraces would he please come to the pitch

Loudspeaker announcement at the bridge today:

if there is a football manager in the terraces would he please come to the pitch

42 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

They’ll probably beat us in the second leg as well wouldn’t be surprised. If they do Poch has to go.

I doubt that would be the signal for Poch to go.   This will be dragged out similar to previous managers to the point where the players will give up again and then the owners will be "forced" to make the call. 

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

They’ll probably beat us in the second leg as well wouldn’t be surprised. If they do Poch has to go.

I believe the days of powerful venues are gone in football.
So they will beat us, yeah.

7 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Was merely suggesting that players can be affected by physical game -- not necessarily a straight out bullying. Many defenders/DMs use the subterfuge of throwing very hard tackles in the beginning of the match to intimidate players. The idea is that it may remain in the player's subconscious and throw off their game--even if just a little. Heck often players sitting on the bench can be intimidated by just watching what is going on on the pitch.

It's the same for everyone from the premier to Viet Nam first division.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

If they score first then it's game over..we're not scoring 2 if we do that performance again. Hopefully after say 20 attempts however we'll be able to score...less be lovely

No shame losing to Boro. They're hardly divisons behind us but the way it was done. We didn't look like scoring and made it so easy for them 

Edited by Laylabelle

30 minutes ago, Laylabelle said:

No shame losing to Boro. They're hardly divisons behind us but the way it was done. We didn't look like scoring and made it so easy for them 

No shame losing to Bradford City in 2015 - it was odd man out result.
Now we are living in the age of the Boehly-Poch "achievements".

That was fucking horrific, in my 33 years as a fan that was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from us.

Forget the misses because that's just us, we are shite in front of goal but the chances we had all came from Boro mistakes we created fuck all. They sat in, which they will do in the second leg, set up camp because Carrick and Woodgate knew we can't break teams down and they targeted Colwill at LB.

The atmosphere in the stands last night was toxic and only 4 of them came over to clap the fans who traveled hundreds of miles to be there. Silva came over and had back and forth with a few fans and the rest just fucked off on their merry way, fucking joke they are.

The football is dross, it was like watching a league 2 side last night. Some of these players like Disasi, Mudryk, Enzo, Caicedo, Sterling, Madueke are fucking terrible, they have got no fucking heart or fight about them.

The club is rotten from the top to the bottom

2 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

I doubt that would be the signal for Poch to go.   This will be dragged out similar to previous managers to the point where the players will give up again and then the owners will be "forced" to make the call. 

Well tbf, for me, I think most top managers would look at this job and think fuck that. For a magnitude of reasons.

In the past with Roman, you knew once results went to shit and expectations weren’t being met that the next permanent managers instructions would be get the team back being really competitive and winning trophies. Or they would be out. There is a clear pattern in the last 15-20 years, when we changed managers, we usually ended up winning trophies until that cycle happens again.

There is next to nothing positive that has come out of these past 18 months or longer with Boehly & ClownLake. Nothing what so ever. Nothing that would excite any genuine top managers if we were to change Poch. Our best finish with them was right at beginning when they took over when Tuchel got us 3rd place. In the 2 full seasons - when this one finishes can’t fucking come soon enough - our finishes we’ve finished 12th & will likely be around 8-12th this season. There doesn’t seem to be any real ambition to be successful now from the club, it seems very much a long term strategy. And a risky one at that.

Then not to mention the lack of quality in the squad, the recruitment criteria/profile, the fact that spending a lot of money is going to be difficult as we already have spunked £1bn in 3 windows, no European football next season again (90% sure on this)… what top top manager is going to go yeah this Chelsea project is what I want to go and get involved in. 

Edited by OneMoSalah