Branislav Ivanovic

.Cee

Of course he does. There is less danger when your opponent is wide than when he is running in between a full back and a centre back. This is basic defending. If you ever played even remotely serious 11 v 11 football you would know this.

Anyways, this thread disgusts me every time I open it. The bloke gives his heart to Chelsea, fights for the shirt, has been doing that for years. Yet you come here and out of 83 pages 50 are filled with bashing and insulting.

'Basic defending' that leads to most of the opposition's threats and goals coming down our right flank where there is usually acres of space as Ivanovic casually backs off into the box or when he is in position allows the cross in anyway. And there is less danger when the opposition are running at a winger (which was in some attacks Dom Solanke yesterday) just outside the box than when they're running at a DM shielding two defenders?

On the Brana defending thing, I think Jose has told him to go in tight with the centerbacks, to allow JT and Cahill to shift to the left, which allows Azpi to be in a wider position. So with this in place, and the right winger (normally willian) dropping back, you get a solid back 5 without sacrificing Hazard. Although I haven't noticed it, but some of you seem to think Ivan goes in too tight, so maybe that's why.

Runs all the way back with the QPR player who takes the shot but decides to walk completely away and leave them unmarked on the edge of the box...

http://zippy.gfycat.com/AlarmingMediumAmericancicada.webm

He's practically not a defender this season, but has been an immortal attacking wise.

Who the fuck knew the kind of form Brana would be in this season offensively though? Currently not benchable, sorry Azpi.

Slightly disagree with that. His early season form shouldn't be a surprise TBH. Including the previous 2 seasons, he has always started the season on fire - scoring goals, creating tons of chances, assisting others - before reverting to his 'crappy' self. And he seems to be heading back to that form.

Slightly disagree with that. His early season form shouldn't be a surprise TBH. Including the previous 2 seasons, he has always started the season on fire - scoring goals, creating tons of chances, assisting others - before reverting to his 'crappy' self. And he seems to be heading back to that form.

He nearly scored again today. What makes you say that?

He nearly scored again today. What makes you say that?

So? He will always get 1-2 chances to score from game to game but that doesn't change the opinion on his overall form at the start of the season. Not saying it is bad but it's been happening for 2-3 seasons.

So? He will always get 1-2 chances to score from game to game but that doesn't change the opinion on his overall form at the start of the season. Not saying it is bad but it's been happening for 2-3 seasons.

Imo he has improved a lot on his crosses and his link up play. The team overall is better than recent seasons and he may benefit and extent that good start now. Time will tell but so far i don't really see any signs of decline.

Imo he has improved a lot on his crosses and his link up play. The team overall is better than recent seasons and he may benefit and extent that good start now. Time will tell but so far i don't really see any signs of decline.

Mate, I'm not saying he's declining or anything like that. You have misunderstood my point. What I said was, he has always started the season on fire for the past 2-3 campaigns. But after 2-3 months, his form will revert to being normal for pretty much the rest of the season.

Mate, I'm not saying he's declining or anything like that. You have misunderstood my point. What I said was, he has always started the season on fire for the past 2-3 campaigns. But after 2-3 months, his form will revert to being normal for pretty much the rest of the season.

I understand what your point is, this is why referred to the team's overall status. Previous seasons a lot of key players started declining from a point after. We played without a real striker even! I think Brana's good start this season (and hopefully the whole team's) can be extended/maintained because we are much more balanced.

Biggest culprit for the the QPR goal. I really have no idea what he was thinking. When Courtois palms the ball away he's 2 metres away from the player that ends up giving the assist. Instead of moving towards him he just casually jogs towards the penalty spot.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x293rcm_charlie-austin-goal-chelsea-1-1-qpr-01-11-2014-premier-league-hd_sport

Anyone see when we had a counter with Schurrle (I think) at around the 88th minute and the next thing I see is Ivanovic charging past him at 100mph and continues into the box? I admire is offensive instincts but at 2-1 up late in the game it was not the time to do so! Was going to absolutely go spare if we turned it over and our right side was exposed.

Biggest culprit for the the QPR goal. I really have no idea what he was thinking. When Courtois palms the ball away he's 2 metres away from the player that ends up giving the assist. Instead of moving towards him he just casually jogs towards the penalty spot.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x293rcm_charlie-austin-goal-chelsea-1-1-qpr-01-11-2014-premier-league-hd_sport

I see your point but considering how many players we had in the box to deal with the situation, it's kind of understandable.