Chelsea 1 - 1 Leicester City

I'll actually take that. Guarantees 3rd now.

It was barely much more than a friendly in the way it was played and we never got out of first or second gear yet still restricted them to a long range goal and missed a couple of good chances to win. Story of the season but I'm just glad we're nearly at the end of it now.

Looking forward to going away next week, turning off my Wifi so I don't have to think about the Champions League final and just having a break because the last couple of months have been so stressful and frustrating as a Chelsea fan.

There was good football at times, but finishing was simply not there. Pulisic's miss was something for the history books.

On the other hand, it seems that we are no longer able to win games by 1x0 because we always concede (at last) a goal.

Edited by robsblubot

Kind of incredible to think we finished 3rd and are in need of a HUGE overhaul. Usually you finish 3rd and use it as a building block or something to look forward to. We need to change like 60% of our team in one summer. You’d say to yourself “we’re 2-3 sighing’s away from competing.” But no. We’re nowhere near taking a step up.

We have dire needs all over the pitch. Multiple CB’s, multiple goal scoring attackers, multiple fullbacks for depth, and a top class midfielder. Meanwhile, whilst we’re simply trying to catch up to the level the top 2 are at currently, they’ll only be getting better.

Sucks to say it before we’ve even seen what sort of business we’ll do, but I think next season may be yet another “transition” season where we’ll be battling for 3rd or 4th MILES behind City and Liverpool. 

We have played so many shiny games this season, fucked up so many chances, conceded so many stupid goals still ended up third

shows what a huge gulf in quality there is between us and pool city over a full season

its really dangerous cos players will learn that it is ok to be mediocre. You still end up in cl

This squad has never developed the grit and determination to give everything each game and even if it goes against you how to force one in and shut up shop. We have given away way too many leads , conceded stupid goals, not been clinical enough to really claim to be an absolute top team even as world champion . The last few weeks have exposed this brutally.

The potential is there but we are missing a few truly world class players, quality in depth and the mentality of a champion 

Leicester's expected goal stat last night was apparently 0.08. Ours despite a hardly vintage performance was still healthy at 1.68.

It's ultimately not just the story of the season but a theme that has been regular for a while now.

We have regularly performed under our expected goals. And whilst in Tuchel's first 12 months he had us in line or even out performing our expected goals against, in recent times we've gone back a little to what it was like under Lampard. Few shots being offered to opposition but them scoring regularly from them. Part of that is down to I think Mendy hasn't been as good consistently for a while. The other part is chances are being offered generally from mistakes. Even last night, good strike from Maddison but it should never have been a chance in the first place. The lack of effort from Alonso was awful, and Rudigers reaction after Alonso wasn't much better.

Hopefully some of this can be attributed to the sanctions, half full Stamford Bridge, players knowing they're on the way out and the league season being arguably done and dusted in most people's eyes for weeks. It does seem coincidental that the wheels well and truly fell off in our league form when we came back from an international break. 

Time to draw a line under this season on Sunday (hopefully with a win, but more than likely a draw) and hope some clarity very shortly to allow Tuchel and the players who will be staying here to renew focus going into pre season.